What's new

Solo Violin Comparison of 7 Violins

OP
amadeus1

amadeus1

@muk I agree, slightly odd decision. Like comparing piano libs all set to velocity 127?

It did I guess, show how good some are considering these omissions from the 'performance'. OT sounded more like a harpsichord. And JB whilst ok higher, sounded like it was getting swatted with a brick lower down.

Thanks for the video & comparison.
Some perform better live than others, although with tweaking in non-real time they can be excellent.

muk

I didn't alter cc1 since they all behaved differently depending on the manufacturer and the player engine.

They all have different volume, different mic positions, different legato programming - a fact that you seem keen to demonstrate. Why not also demonstrate how they behave differently to cc1? Just a suggestion for next time. For me this is paramount to demonstrate the libraries. Without all of them sound bad.

Maxime Luft

Unfortunately the Tableau solo violin doesn't trigger any legato samples, it clearly seems to be deactivated. The attacks of the legato transitions in Tableau are never that sharp ;)

Saxer

Solo strings library comparison without dynamic playing and switched off legatos? So that's actually a fortissimo sustain comparison. Seems useless to me. Except that it shows how these instruments should never be used.

Maxime Luft

I think I can only argue with a real example of Tableau, so here a rough legato melody
To make it fair I didn't touch any CC1, obviouslyo_O

* No reverb / no EQ / no automation either, so to make it clear: A *rough* example

Attachments

• Tableau-Violin-Rough-Leg.mp3
    714.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
amadeus1

amadeus1

They all have different volume, different mic positions, different legato programming - a fact that you seem keen to demonstrate. Why not also demonstrate how they behave differently to cc1? Just a suggestion for next time. For me this is paramount to demonstrate the libraries. Without all of them sound bad.
Actually the focus was on the playability as well as the overall tone of the libraries. Many solo libraries strive to make the instrument playable right out of the box. The programmers work with a combination of keyboard velocity, interval recognition, aftertouch, time between successive notes ( how fast notes are played) as well as other cc information. How a solo library reacts to fast playing is a deal breaker for me. Some do it well, like Chris Hein's products, the new Stradivari, VSL solo instruments, and others. Some not so well :)

Peter Williams

Actually the focus was on the playability as well as the overall tone of the libraries. Many solo libraries strive to make the instrument playable right out of the box. The programmers work with a combination of keyboard velocity, interval recognition, aftertouch, time between successive notes ( how fast notes are played) as well as other cc information. How a solo library reacts to fast playing is a deal breaker for me. Some do it well, like Chris Hein's products, the new Stradivari, VSL solo instruments, and others. Some not so well :)
That is a key factor, but do you mean based on a single patch, or without key-switches? The articulation change scripts based on your playing characteristics are a fairly new development, so they can be inappropriate or a bit crude. They are a very cool idea, but the ability to over-ride them is also desirable. I like to do a lot of mod and cc changes with my free hand and foot as I play. It's more like a bow substitute.

LamaRose

Gato Mighty!
The Bohemian has virtually no phasing issues. The emotional violin(s) have multiple long articulations that have very little/no phasing... both libraries handle vibrato extremely well... my point being that phasing and vibrato make or break solo strings.

I should add that I have no experience with JB, VSL, SF solo strings... but I have quite a few other solo libs. And I have to agree, most stings sound awful at full mod.

Last edited:

bill5

Thanks for this, despite the limitations mentioned.

FWIW if you just want to hear the demos (my take on each at the end)

2:50 - Stradivari really nice
4:30 - Orchestral Tools (1st Chair) not quite as good, heavier reverb?
7:00 - Orchestral Tools (Tableau) blech, terrible transitions
9:05 - Vienna Synchronized great tho not quite as sharp (not saying that's good or bad)
12:35 - Vienna Solo nice, but something sounded "off" about the tone
14:55 - Joshua Bell articulations were just too far off to fairly judge
16:30 - Spitfire Solo nice but didn't grab me

I'd probably opt Stradiviri or (best I could tell) Joshua Bell

gfd

Maybe the criticism of the comparison misses the point. Had each of the instruments been modulated, it would have added subjectivity to the deal. Then it would have become as much about the modulation choice(s) as the instruments.

I don't think the comparison was about the overall quality of the instruments, nor did it claim to be. Rather, it compared their ability to accept quick key strokes out of the box. Perhaps the playability/user intervention component of libraries is now a worthy point of comparison.

OP
amadeus1

amadeus1

Maybe the criticism of the comparison misses the point. Had each of the instruments been modulated, it would have added subjectivity to the deal. Then it would have become as much about the modulation choice(s) as the instruments.

I don't think the comparison was about the overall quality of the instruments, nor did it claim to be. Rather, it compared their ability to accept quick key strokes out of the box. Perhaps the playability/user intervention component of libraries is now a worthy point of comparison.
You summarized my intent quite accurately. It was about overall tone quality and the ability to sound natural when playing fast and slow passages out of the box. Had I tweaked the midi for each of the libraries using the mod wheel or other CCs unique to the library it would have become quite subjective.

bill5

I don't think that would make it any more or less subjective really. I think the earlier points were about trying to compare apples to apples in terms of the sound from an articulations standpoint, or at least that would have been my point. But it's still useful to hear the overall tone.

Kevinside

the vibrato is very "synthetic" and static. But the Bow Attacks or strokes sound more natural on this example..

Top Bottom