What's new

Solo Strings Set: Embertone vs CSSS?

szurcio

Still searching
Which one would you recommend as a set of solo strings: Embertone Intimate Strings ($297) or Cinematic Studio Solo Strings ($299)? I only have LASS First Chair for solo strings now. I'm looking for something under $300.

Embertone instruments are very different in conception from CSSS, each with do things that the other simply won’t.

So without some context, I’m not sure a general recommendation of one or the other would mean very much.

OK, some context then: I'm looking for more smooth/ambient legato lines in adagio/andante/moderato tempos (to carry the main melody combined, for example, with soft woodwinds in the background), not very virtuosic/Paganini style. More like the violin in slow tempo movements of Vivaldi's violin concertos (although he used mostly continuo only, not woodwinds - but this type of timbre). Solo violin and cello are the most important to me. I really like softer sample libraries like Tundra, Lumina or Loegria (non-epic ones). I just need some solo strings to play the main melody and go well with those libraries.

Last edited:
And if it could be achieved to some extent with LASS FC only (since I'm poor), any tips on how to make the LASS violin and cello sound a little smoother and softer for more ambient chamber music?

CSSS will sound good out of the box, if you like the first violin's very intrusive vibrato. The vibrato is on or off, but with a decent transition. The second violin is sweeter.
Embertone's strings are dry, with fine vibrato control. They will need a good reverb, and much CC editing, but will be more expressive.

Embertone's Solo's are just beautiful.
the control over the vibrato makes all the difference.
They nailed that series!

and if i heard correctly - ISS will be getting an overhaul in the near future

I actually have a bit of a hard time with them. They can do a lot but they take so much work. I like Hein's balance better. A simple legato line with no extra work generally just sounds good already, by comparison. I thought I would love how tweak-able it is but there are times when I don't want to have to do so much to get a decent performance

If you can shell out the extra $$, the Joshua Bell violin is the best violin vi I’ve played by far. I use it in tandem with other (non-Embertone) solo string libraries (Spitfire) and it constantly outperforms them in terms of its ability to play a human-sounding melody. That being said: I know the Spitfire solo strings set has a bit of a mixed reputation on here but I personally quite like it.

Not sure about the ISS bundle but I’ve heard that the Cello and Violin are somewhat outdated in legato and artificial vibrato scripting, whereas the Viola and Bass are still quite good.

I actually have a bit of a hard time with them. They can do a lot but they take so much work. I like Hein's balance better. A simple legato line with no extra work generally just sounds good already, by comparison. I thought I would love how tweak-able it is but there are times when I don't want to have to do so much to get a decent performance
totally understand.
i really think the guys at Embertone know this
especially after how playable and fluid the Joshua Bell is out of the box.

I'm thinking the "overhaul" they have planned for ISS would have a lot to do with streamlining the programming under the hood or maybe creating alternate more "playable" out of the box patches

we'll see...

totally understand.
i really think the guys at Embertone know this
especially after how playable and fluid the Joshua Bell is out of the box.

I'm thinking the "overhaul" they have planned for ISS would have a lot to do with streamlining the programming under the hood or maybe creating alternate more "playable" out of the box patches

we'll see...

That was my impression and I'd be beyond thrilled. Not to give them any ideas but I'd even pay an upgrade

And if it could be achieved to some extent with LASS FC only (since I'm poor), any tips on how to make the LASS violin and cello sound a little smoother and softer for more ambient chamber music?
Keep the mod wheel low, perhaps less than half the way up at the most and ride the wheel for phrasing. Adjust the portamento settings so that triggering it is deliberate. Make sure portamento isn't overused i.e. like between 1/2 steps. It's best for intervals where a string player would shift, Like a 4th or a 6th etc. Find a nice reverb, apply generously. EQ work might be to boost the lower/mid range and cut some of the scratchiness on top.

FC can sound awesome, especially legato with a cathedral/ethereal type reverb. But the mod wheel and especially port. take a little time to get to know.

Top Bottom