1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Drum Kit Anxiety

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by pb69, Sep 9, 2017.

1. whitewasteland

whitewasteland Senior Member

Mar 9, 2016
    In the middle of nowhere.
    i'll give my vote to FXPansion's BFD3.
    (And as Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 is coming out tomorrow, I guess BFD4 shouldn't be too long !)

Edit : Oops, I realize this was not the question. Well, now you know that I love BFD3. :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. TimCox

TimCox Senior Member

Oct 14, 2013
    I like Studio Drummer by Native Instruments. But I use all three kits at once and tweak the drums (so basically layering, which they do in most studios anyway). So I get the fat part of one of the snares, the crack in another and the overall ring of the third, etc.. I do that with all of the drums and it turns out pretty great. I only use the cymbals from one instance as well.

Here's one of my tracks with that setup:

EDIT

Btw, I understand that this is a faux-2000s nu-metal kind of thing but my point is that Studio Drummer is pretty realistic and easy to use for whatever style you might need

3. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

For 70's, the NI Abbey Roads kit is actually amazing.
    I recently started using Superior Drummer 2 and will upgrade to 3 soon. The SDX packs (and EZ drum packs) can exactly what you are looking for. I actually love SD2 but BFD3 is a great contender too. Slate SSD4 is brilliant and the Samples are amazing but I actually hate the GUI and is in need of being updated due to a lack of many features that made me move to SD2.

4. Shubus

Shubus Senior Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I am quite happy with Native Instruments Battery 4 (which just got an update today), DrumLab and especially Studio Drummer.

TimCox and sostenuto like this.
  5. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

What I like about Studio Drummer is that the Drum Skins have been recorded with different turnings instead of using a Pitch shift algorithm.

TimCox likes this.
  6. jcrosby

jcrosby Senior Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Boston MA
    Addicitve Drums 2 is my go to. They cover every conceivable genre, from metal to Motown to ultra retro funk / breakbeat tracked to tape. Even some truly gorgeous jazz kits.. The sound quality is incredible IMO. It'll have you covered for virtually any possible scenario and comes with thousands of hand played grooves you can resequence via midi...

7. Vastman

Vastman we make the future

Ya got 3 main choices...addictive drums, BFD & Superior Drummer...i have all three and added them in that order. Just upgraded to the new SD3 and it`s now top dog...pretty amazing and intuitive

Add pacs (midi/drums) are available for all three and u can add them during sales for cheap. These are truly expandable drum platforms heavily supported by their creators unlike others like NI products, which I also have and no longer use

All 3 do a great job and are decent on CPU.

Thus it gets down to what seems more intuitive to YOU! In terms of power, SD3 now kinda blows the rest away as it just came out and adds things like sample import we've been asking for. However, this may not matter to you... GUI is huge... if any of the three seems to speak to you more than the other...go there! Arguments are endless as to which (BFD vs SD2, now SD3) have a more real sound... don't bother going there!

8. Joe_D

Joe_D Senior Member

Oct 7, 2013
    If I understand you correctly (I don't think everyone did), the question is not "which platform has the widest options," or "which package sounds best?"

The question is what one basic drumkit (with only a smallish amount of tweaking) will work reasonably well in the styles listed? In other words, if you hired one drummer to cover a variety of styles on one kit, what kit would that drummer bring to the gig?

I think that keepitsimple nailed it. The EZX Nashville or SDX Music City (they're little brother/big brother to each other) have some solid, basic drums and cymbals that would work in a variety of styles. They're recorded in a somewhat neutral, mainstream way. Just start with the Nashville "Basic" kit, and if anything seems out of place stylistically, either switch to one of handful of other suggested kits, or do a little tweaking/processing. Yes, you might want to switch out the (relatively few) snares, cymbals, and other kit parts, but it's not an overwhelming amount of choices, and most of the kit parts will work well together. And you might want to process the drums somewhat for certain styles, but they don't have to "move" that far to work in many of the styles you listed.

So, for the simplest option, I would go for EZX Nashville. If you decide that it wouldn't hurt to have a few more choices down the road both in terms of kit pieces and processing options, go with SDX Music City (it's still not an overwhelming variety of choices, and it all fits together, so you can't go too wrong).

I don't have Realidrums, so I can't comment on that part of keepitsimple's recommendation.