Softube Tube-Tech CL1B MK2 Compressor - Anyone Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by Zoot_Rollo, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:34 AM.

1. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
  2. MHP

MHP Audio Engineer & Producer

Dec 7, 2018
    Germany
    The Tube-Tech CL 1B (Legacy and Mk II Native) is my go-to-compressor for nearly all vocal tracks, usually as a complete classic channel strip with the EQs PE 1C and ME 1B.

The Mk II adds the option for parallel compression and mid/side-processing but I am still used to and prefer the GUI of the legacy version which is more compact and 3-dimensional.

Soundwise the differences are subtle (if there are any) and you can get a 20-day-demo license from Softube to find out if it is worth the upgrade.

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Zoot_Rollo

Jul 1, 2016
    the CL1B is magic on Fender guitar cleans.

i am more inclined though, from your comments, to get PE 1C and ME 1B for $119.

recommended over the Waves PuigTec?

MHP likes this.
  4. MHP

MHP Audio Engineer & Producer

Dec 7, 2018
    Germany
    Cannot comment on the Waves PuigTec EQs - never tested them.
    But Waves seems to throw them out very cheap at the moment ($34.50).
    My personal preference is towards Softube though.

5. OP
    OP
    Zoot_Rollo

Jul 1, 2016

I have the Waves version.

Just thinking Softube would be an order better.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 2:00 PM
  6. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    Anything is recommended over Puigtec.

Well, not necessarily, but the Waves is way too aggressive-sounding and exaggerated (like many of their analog plugins are). It's better than not having a Pultec-clone plugin at all, but nothing to dial home about. Haven't tried the Softube one, but I'd guess it at least should sound smoother than the Waves.

7. Alex Niedt

Alex Niedt Active Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Los Angeles
    They're not even emulating the same thing. The Waves emulates an actual Pultec, while the Softube is an emulation of the Tube-Tech, and they sound nothing alike, really.

Anyway, the CL 1B update is good. More accurate to the hardware, and the additional features are great.