What's new

So... who's got the best timpani?

After lots of work, and a huge ramp-up curve on finally getting to a high level of proficiency with Vienna Synchron Player, I now prefer it to VI Pro, and also am finding that the libraries are mostly better -- they just take more work initially.
I like the timbre of the Synchron Timpani, but for some reason, it plays almost inaudibly quiet when I load it up. Is there something dumb that I'm missing?

True Strike 1 and Hollywood Orchestral Percussion are fine for mr, although the OT one sounds impressive. When I get commissioned to write a Concerto For Kettle Drums, I may pony up for it.

I like the timbre of the Synchron Timpani, but for some reason, it plays almost inaudibly quiet when I load it up. Is there something dumb that I'm missing?
The Synchron Series instruments are volume matched to each other. If you use it together with other libraries you may want to adjust the master volume of the Synchron Player or set it to 127 and use VEPs/your DAWs mixer for volume matching. Also make sure that you have velocity crossfade disabled if you want to use key velocity.

@Ben I know you can't say much, but are winds and brass in the works for true Synchron series? Or will they remain the same, just Synchronized? Thanks.

Also, is there an impulse of the Vienna Synchron stage within the Synchron Player? Or is that just for MIR?

Yep, it's as Ben said. I forget how I addressed the volume issue in my custom mix settings, which I can attach if anyone is interested (I use Timpani a LOT, in different contexts, so I actually made three separate stage depth mix settings for Timpani). Even in pop/rock, Timpani might be my only orchestral instrument. My Mom played Timpani, so I probably have a built-in bias for it. :)

I'm spending 12-16 hours a day right now in the job hunt and in self-training, so I've kind of fallen off on forum follow-up, but luckily it's easy to catch up later due the forum's excellent alert system. For stuff like this though, Ben is the best source and is extremely responsive on this forum.

Top Bottom