What's new

So... who's got the best timpani?

I'm working on something now and ended up using the timpani from 8Dio's Majestica. Great rolls, crescendos and hit options. But they don't have an Epic Timpani yet and you probably don't want to buy Majestica just for the timpani.

I'm trying to find a good one, but I'm traveling and my laptop is missing a lot of my libraries. And they probably aren't as good as HZP.

I feel like this covers everything timpani I might need:

https://www.orchestraltools.com/libraries/bpc_exp_a.php

Alright, so 4 (technically 3) timpanis for comparison sake: Cineperc, Ark 3, and HZ01 (bot Zimmer's and Junkie's).

I no longer have TS1, so I can't compare it to the others, sorry! But I personally feel that Cineperc has the best timpani out of the ones in this video. It just has a certain responsiveness, closeness and "oomph", whereas HZ's timpani sounds big because of the amount of reverb in the room, but it can sound washy and distant (you really have to be careful with how you use the mics). Listen how by just using the close mic, it begins to sound kinda small, and just meh? This timpani relies heavily on the room it's in for a great sound. Junkie's mix just sounds plain weird in the higher registry, but great in the lower pitches. I will say that HZ01 is an all around BRILLIANT layering library, but I could never recommend it as a go-to.

The timpani in Ark 3 is just a straight up awesome, but also suffers a bit from having too much reverb, imho. Aside from that, it's damn near perfect.

Last edited:
Hi Noam, check out LADD if you don't have it... but also give a thought to Evolution Series World Percussion - Europe. Some great sounding timps in there.

https://www.evolutionseries.com/?page_id=4525

EDIT: Nevermind, saw someone already linked that earlier - didn't read the whole thread. GLHF

HZP Timpani and Evolution Series World Percussion Timpani are a great duo to have to choose from depending on what the song calls for. Very different, but both sit so well in the mix. I find Evolution Series Timpani is more versatile and I tend to use it more often. I own like four or five others, but those are my main two. Joey Burgess Spitfire Percussion works well too, but is more limited.

Last edited:
I don't see any love for VSL here, and they tend to be some of my favorite libraries. I don't have much experience with their timps, what do others think?

I find the Cineperc Timp to be stellar! It's got a ton of dynamic control, and has this awesome slappy growl at the top end of the dynamic range. Rolls are also very fun to play, and I find it layers really well with others, such as NI.

What about True Strike's Timpani and Spitifre Percussion's Timpani ?

Orchestral Tool's Timpani sounds great

What about True Strike's Timpani and Spitifre Percussion's Timpani ?

Orchestral Tool's Timpani sounds great
I'm still using True Strike 1 timpani. It's eq'd half to death and features some extra RR (neighbor borrowing) since it only has 2X RR, but it has held up well enough over the years. If I wanted another/new timpani, the first options that come to mind are Ftsamples, Modwheel, Orchestral Tools, and maybe Spitfire. Lots of options these days.

I'm still using True Strike 1 timpani. It's eq'd half to death and features some extra RR (neighbor borrowing) since it only has 2X RR, but it has held up well enough over the years. If I wanted another/new timpani, the first options that come to mind are Ftsamples, Modwheel, Orchestral Tools, and maybe Spitfire. Lots of options these days.

Yes. True Strike still holds up pretty well. There are certain sounds which i prefer True Strike than Spitfire Percussion, like the Glock as well as Tubular Bells. Spitfire Percussion's Timpani not too bad but there's pros and cons. But i think orchestra tool's timpani sounds awesome but at such price, no way man.

I don't see any love for VSL here, and they tend to be some of my favorite libraries. I don't have much experience with their timps, what do others think?

I have the Synchron Timpani. They sound very clean. Lots of smack, but less splash, if that makes sense. It's a firm, focused, pristine sound with clear tonality that will never muddy the mix, which is great. Quite versatile too.

I really like the timpani in Berlin Percussion by Orchestral tools. It's an expansion pack to the main library but I believe it's also sold as a separate library.

https://www.orchestraltools.com/libraries/bpc_exp_a.php

I have the Synchron Timpani. They sound very clean. Lots of smack, but less splash, if that makes sense. It's a firm, focused, pristine sound with clear tonality that will never muddy the mix, which is great. Quite versatile too.

I had a feeling the Synchron ones would sound fantastic. I love the sound of the hall.

Great thread, I think percussion gets left out sometimes (I'm guilty of it myself) so this is useful!

No offense to the other developers but these comparisons are really driving home how high-quality the timp is in HZ01.

Out of all the options mentioned so far, I think I like the Berlin Series Timp (aka "Expansion A") the best. I still have a 50 EUR voucher from BOI1 so it would be just 75 EUR.
Was going to suggest Berlin. Unfortunately, I don't have it to tell you any more. @The Darris says good things about it (the whole perc set actually).

Top Bottom