What's new

So what should I put on my SSD?

So a few things. There are statements all over the internets saying that filling up SSD's will make it slower. I dont think that is a problem today, and if you're filling up SSDs that close you have a different issue.

What mac do you have? Depending on this answer I would just replace your main drive with a large SSD and put everything on that. You get faster boot times and an overall performance increase. You don't need need two different drives, unless you want that for storage reasons.

So a few things. There are statements all over the internets saying that filling up SSD's will make it slower. I dont think that is a problem today, and if you're filling up SSDs that close you have a different issue.

What mac do you have? Depending on this answer I would just replace your main drive with a large SSD and put everything on that. You get faster boot times and an overall performance increase. You don't need need two different drives, unless you want that for storage reasons.
I have an i5 imac 2017. I'm not sure of the specs at this moment beyond that as I'm away from my computer at the moment.
I was under the impression that you couldn't add an internal SSD to these units, no?

I have an i5 imac 2017. I'm not sure of the specs at this moment beyond that as I'm away from my computer at the moment.
I was under the impression that you couldn't add an internal SSD to these units, no?

Yeah its not worth it at all. Get a USB-C drive or enclouse and throw all your samples on that. Samsung T5 is great, or find a USB-C m.2 enclosure and get a Samsung Pcie drive.

As far as I know there's no room to *add* one, but you should be able to *replace* the spinning drive that's in there now.

We had a shop put an SSD in my wife's iMac after its internal Seagate drive failed. It's from 2011 or so.

The reason I didn't do it is that you have to open the case - which is only outpatient surgery, but I didn't want to do it.

If I remember right we needed a utility to stop the fans from spinning out of control, because this machine is from when SSDs were new and its firmware wasn't quite ready.

But it can be done, and it's not a huge expense. My brain says $75 for the shop to do it. Subtract the price of an external enclosure from that, and it makes a lot of sense.

They're still way more expensive than anything else. I'm still skeptical that there's any difference between them and other companies', other than "I'm happy with mine" testimonials.

The exception is that I'll never buy another Seagate product. Assholes treated me really badly after we had four of their drives fail in a 4-week span.

For the price of SSD's my Mac has a 250GB SSD OS drive and several external SSD's rammed to the back teeth with samples. Literally night and day difference you'll get over HDD's.

I have backups of those sample drives to dusty old HDD drives if one fails. Use your old one

They're still way more expensive than anything else. I'm still skeptical that there's any difference between them and other companies', other than "I'm happy with mine" testimonials.

The exception is that I'll never buy another Seagate product. Assholes treated me really badly after we had four of their drives fail in a 4-week span.

I think there is a difference. I've seen some 1TB's cheap on New Egg and check the reviews. I will probably stick with WD since I'm familiar with their RMA. I still don't have confidence in SSDs.

I think there is a difference. I've seen some 1TB's cheap on New Egg and check the reviews. I will probably stick with WD since I'm familiar with their RMA. I still don't have confidence in SSDs.

Oh yeah, you're right not to have confidence in SSDs or any drive. They don't last forever. Must back up.

But which cheap ones on Newegg? And are they just "I was only getting 15.4 genital whetstones when I was counting on higher reads output per bounds rect," or actual failures?

(The question is serious - I really do want to read some!)

I'm still skeptical that there's any difference between them and other companies'

Also, what I meant is that Samsung SSDs are more expensive than any other brand - less so now, but still more. I haven't heard any convincing arguments to justify that rather than, say, WD.

Oh yeah, you're right not to have confidence in SSDs or any drive. They don't last forever. Must back up.

But which cheap ones on Newegg? And are they just "I was only getting 15.4 genital whetstones when I was counting on higher reads output per bounds rect," or actual failures?

(The question is serious - I really do want to read some!)

Usually the ones from ADATA.

Top Bottom