What's new

So, what Mac are you going to get next? (Poll)

What Mac will you be buying next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yesterday I was going for the i9 iMac, but 6 core i7 Mini is probably good enough for me and I can spend cash on Thunderbolt SSDs... Looking at Akitio stuff now.
...and now I'm back for the iMac.
With my choice of customization options, the Mac mini with addons and utilities would be as expensive as the iMac but running integrated Intel graphics instead of AMD. So iMac i9 it is...
Just ordered.

My 2009 4,1 Mac Pro is still going strong. I stuck 2 x 3.46 Xeons (12 Cores in it last year for less than a couple of hundred quid, 64gb of Ram for £ 90, and an RX590 graphics card for £ 150. It's now running Mojave and is totally solid.

I paid £ 2.5k for this machine in 2009, and Its stuffed full of Sata III cards running 2Tb SSD's that I picked up in various sales.

It has been the best computer I've ever owned, and although the new Mac Pro is going to cost around £ 5k, I work hard and with a bit of saving I will be able to afford it.

I wouldn't buy a piano that I don't enjoy playing, so why would I buy a workstation with an OS I dislike using ?

Following that logic no-one would ever buy a premium brand of anything.

I might have another 5 years with my 'Trigger's Broom' Cheese grater Mac Pro 12 Core. Boat loads of RAM and SSD's, it feels like it will live on! My HP E5 z420 running as a VEP client is the muscle so I don't see a change anytime soon.

I'm considering new i9 iMac but I'm just a little bit afraid about all my drives with samples and also lots of external USB hardware. Right now I use 4 SSDs inside my Hackintosh plus 1 HDD for additional files. When swiched to iMac I'd have to get at least 2 thunderbolt external SSD cases to get the same performance on my 4 SSD drives. And that's it no more thunderbolt ports which means I can't plug additional displays, am I right ?

As far as I'm aware, it only uses 1 USB C port. There are ways to use both ports for different drive options but I think it operates normally as the older version did with 1 cable. Therefore gives you 1 left to daisy chain screen, extra drives etc.

Well, I almost jumped back to PC recently, but I love Logic too much. And let's face it, on Mac everything "just works". Still on my 2013 MB Pro (PC slave), which is still going strong, so I'll just keep plugging along. Honestly, this think runs huge projects and has never let me down, not a single crash. I think too many users "think" they need a more powerful machine....when in fact they already have what they need (I am guilty of this). When the day comes to upgrade, it will all depend on what gigs I have on the horizon so that I can justify the purchase. Ultimately, a new Mac Pro would be wonderful, but is definitely overkill for my studio. I'll most likely end up with a new MB Pro again, or Mac Mini.
I agree. I had to upgrade last summer because my older MP 3,1 just couldn't run all of the plug ins I needed for a couple game scores. So after much deliberation, I went with the trashcan 6,1 rather than the iMac i7 Quad. Been very happy with it thus far. Got an OWC TB SSD chassis for my sample drives and a 34" LG ultrawide monitor and things work well. The MP came with High Sierra which I frankly think sucked ass and after upgrading to Mojave, whatever issues I had with UA Apollo clock time went away.

Apple isn't perfect and I am not a rabid fanboy. It's too much energy to argue. Mac OS works better for me than Windows (coming from practical experience too) so I choose to remain with it. I seldom buy the latests and greatest and I'm happy to get older tech as long as it works with what I need out of it. Those who try to push their own agenda on me (PC is cheaper, faster, etc why are you so stupid to buy Apple kind of rhetoric) get a polite f*** off and "what's it to you?" kind of response. Seriously, to each his/her own.

My studio is full of 2nd user machines. Something that is a couple of years old is more that capable. It's not about the gear after all, it's about what the final mixes sound like.

As far as I'm aware, it only uses 1 USB C port. There are ways to use both ports for different drive options but I think it operates normally as the older version did with 1 cable. Therefore gives you 1 left to daisy chain screen, extra drives etc.
I believe it can run on one USB C cable but it won't use full bandwith which in our case is crucial if we want to stream multiple sample libraries from multiple drives flawlessly.

Nothing more to say ...
Well it is on my radar. Just don't know how much it's gonna cost and when it will be available in Europe. In my country, the new mac pro isn't even on a product page. iSpot still has a vader helmet as a current mac pro. So it may appear next year and I wonder how much they will add to the US price. It's usually around 1/4 more then in US so it's gonna be little fortune to me :/

Well it is on my radar. Just don't know how much it's gonna cost and when it will be available in Europe. In my country, the new mac pro isn't even on a product page. iSpot still has a vader helmet as a current mac pro. So it may appear next year and I wonder how much they will add to the US price. It's usually around 1/4 more then in US so it's gonna be little fortune to me :/
I wonder when the first benchmarks will come, but they only say marginally how the machine behaves when you use audio signals. I would like to switch from several slaves to one machine for economic reasons, but the price will decide above is worth it compared to now.
Since i also like to upgrade older hardware and use it as slaves, this is still an unbeatable price and performance combination.
I wait until the first practical tests and the price are known.

I switched from Mac Pro 2.1 to hackintosh and it's quite fine but in long term it can be scary when you hit that update button. I already had to restore my system twice, after updating.

Only update when needed and check the forums before you update :)

And indeed use something as carbon copy cloner to backup properly. But you probably already do.

Top Bottom