What's new

So, what Mac are you going to get next? (Poll)

What Mac will you be buying next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I may understand the difference in what we're talking about.

Back when I first installed Komplete Ultimate, I got the little drive that they sent in on and copied that to my hard drive.
At that time, I just had one big drive for my mac.
When I did a clean install, I'd have to hook up that little NI drive and reinstall everything.
Later, when I started using Kontakt for real and started adding 3rd party libraries, I needed more disk space and I added a drive.
At that time, I moved all my NI Libraries to the new drive (in fact it still sits nested in a Users>Shared folder just like it was on my original hard drive).
I just relocated all the libraries in Kontakt and never looked back.
If I hadn't moved all the libraries that were included with Komplete, than I would have to reinstall them every time I do a clean install.
Hope that's it!
I’m still a bit confused but holding out hope for one more back & forth as I still have my 11 Ultimate drive.

What do yo mean by "I just moved all my NI libraries to the new drive"? The software, not the samples? And how, copy & paste? From where? Help me understand this part of your process please.

It's been quite a while but I might have just attached the little NI drive and installed it on the new drive.
There's probably a better way to do it but the bottom line is, if you have all your 11 Ultimate on your main system drive, then you will need to reinstall it all (if you want to do a clean install).

Since the Logic update gave my machine new wings, I will happily keep the trash can for a few years and buy a used mac pro.
The update improved CPU efficiency? I haven’t did that yet either.

Administrative duties adding up. I could continue working on the old MBP for however long a fresh install would take, but I’m starting to lean back towards Time Machine. Deleting and reinstalling sample content feels silly.

I’ll think about it over a session and decide tomorrow.

Sorry, but are you saying that there is a way (with a first install of NA on a new o/s hard drive where no Kontakt libraries have been installed before) to click on something and just download the instruments etc. for a library, yet NOT have to download the samples as well, so later you can then link the library to the samples (which exist on external drives and were downloaded previously)?? If so, how do you do that?? How do you tell NA you just want to download the instruments and data, but not the samples when no files for that library exist anywhere on the o/s drive??
I think I see where there may be confusion.

All the Kontakt-based instruments show up in Native Access as individual products, appearing as if they have to be authorized and/or reinstalled by clicking on them.

Do not do this. Only FX and synths which do not run in Kontakt have to be reinstalled this way.

Otherwise, install Kontakt first, and then use the Native Access relocate option to find where you have the sample content already installed. BUT IF, you click on the individual products to reinstall that way in Native Access, then yes, you will start downloading everything from scratch.

I think I see where there may be confusion.

All the Kontakt-based instruments show up in Native Access as individual products, appearing as if they have to be authorized and/or reinstalled by clicking on them.

Do not do this. Only FX and synths which do not run in Kontakt have to be reinstalled this way.

Otherwise, install Kontakt first, and then use the Native Access relocate option to find where you have the sample content already installed. BUT IF, you click on the individual products to reinstall that way in Native Access, then yes, you will start downloading everything from scratch.

Thanks for your additional input!

Re."appearing as if they have to be authorized and/or reinstalled by clicking on them."
---Actually won't ALL libraries initially appear as needing to be "installed" not reinstalled, since there will have been no previous installs on the new drive??

Re. "install Kontakt first, and then use the Native Access relocate option to find where you have the sample content already installed."
Sorry, but this isn't understood. How can one "relocate" a library's samples if the library itself has not yet been installed?? My guess is all I'll see is the list of 100 libraries to be installed. Even now I don't see any relocate option for the libraries that show up in NA as uninstalled. This is where the suggestions to just relocate the samples don't seem to make sense. WHERE is that relocate option you suggest?

Thanks for your additional input!

Re."appearing as if they have to be authorized and/or reinstalled by clicking on them."
---Actually won't ALL libraries initially appear as needing to be "installed" not reinstalled, since there will have been no previous installs on the new drive??

Re. "install Kontakt first, and then use the Native Access relocate option to find where you have the sample content already installed."
Sorry, but this isn't understood. How can one "relocate" a library's samples if the library itself has not yet been installed?? My guess is all I'll see is the list of 100 libraries to be installed. Even now I don't see any relocate option for the libraries that show up in NA as uninstalled. This is where the suggestions to just relocate the samples don't seem to make sense. WHERE is that relocate option you suggest?

1. When in Native Access, open the NOT INSTALLED window/tab.

2. Hover your mouse to the left of the INSTALL icon at the far right of any product that appears in the list, and a little magnifying glass with the word “LOCATE” will appear.

3. That “LOCATE” is the option to manually locate anything already installed, so as to avoid having to reinstall from scratch. Then that item will appear in Native Access’s INSTALLED window after that. This is precisely the way to find sample libraries you have already installed on external drives.

4. As you mentioned, the essential software packages, or anything not yet located, will show up in your list of products as not installed, with options to decide wither to locate it, or install anew.

To be clear in terms of what you call "libraries," there is a distinction here between the essential software packages from NI which will need to be installed, and locating sample libraries on other drives that have already been installed at some point prior to moving to the new Mac.

Things like Absynth, Kontakt, Reaktor, and FX are all system-level applications that must be installed anew. Those get installed into the main NI folder, in my case, 36 items total.

BUT, sample content for Kontakt-based instruments (NI and third-party), or Battery content, if already installed on external drives, can take advantage of the "LOCATE" function to get them to appear as "INSTALLED" in Native Access when setting things up.

And obviously, the bulk of these will need to see that Kontakt is present, hence my suggestion to make sure that is installed on the system drive first.

Ahh, @gpax, I think this explanation is what I needed. Instruments like Session Horns Pro don't have what I'll now call a plugin, only samples. Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol (or Absynth, Reaktor, etc) need to be installed and samples that play via those plugins can then be located.

I got it, hopefully.

One other thing. I have one large, non Kontakt VI that I'm hoping you can provide similar help on. Superior Drummer 3. That was an overnight install from what I remember. Is there a similar method of installing the base plugin and finding the samples?

Thanks, @gpax! You've been a major help.

2. Hover your mouse to the left of the INSTALL icon at the far right of any product that appears in the list, and a little magnifying glass with the word “LOCATE” will appear.

3. That “LOCATE” is the option to manually locate anything already installed, so as to avoid having to reinstall from scratch. Then that item will appear in Native Access’s INSTALLED window after that. This is precisely the way to find sample libraries you have already installed on external drives.

And that indeed is the answer I sought several posts ago. :) Thank you very much! As you also mentioned, there are many items that cannot be installed using Locate, but I think that method should indeed greatly reduce the time and number of downloads required on a new system. Thanks for your patience as well. Cheers!

One other thing. I have one large, non Kontakt VI that I'm hoping you can provide similar help on. Superior Drummer 3. That was an overnight install from what I remember. Is there a similar method of installing the base plugin and finding the samples?
This is something that might possibly be answered on the Toontrack forum as well. Personally, I'm not aware of any short method to install Toontrack products a on a new system without downloading them again, but perhaps that has changed since the last time I did this. Never hurts to ask them.

And that indeed is the answer I sought several posts ago. :) Thank you very much! As you also mentioned, there are many items that cannot be installed using Locate, but I think that method should indeed greatly reduce the time and number of downloads required on a new system. Thanks for your patience as well. Cheers!
I think what may seem obvious to NI, is not, in fact, immediately obvious to Native Access users. At least it wasn’t for me.

Last edited:
This is something that might possibly be answered on the Toontrack forum as well. Personally, I'm not aware of any short method to install Toontrack products a on a new system without downloading them again, but perhaps that has changed since the last time I did this. Never hurts to ask them.
That was easy. It’s similar to NI. The app install is separate and paths to samples only need to be set.

Great to hear BezO!
Sometimes you just have to get in there and do it.

I'm coming along on my clean install on my i9iMac.
I have it set up on a portable desk next to my studio desk and I gotta say that going between my 24inch ASUS (7 years old?) and the 27 5k is pretty shocking.
Today is plugin day so it's going to be a long one.
Unfortunately my 64G of ram is lost out there somewhere but I'll reorder it if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow.
I hope to make the switch mid week or so (no huge hurry at this point).
What a luxury to have 2 desktops running at once!

The update improved CPU efficiency? I haven’t did that yet either.

Administrative duties adding up. I could continue working on the old MBP for however long a fresh install would take, but I’m starting to lean back towards Time Machine. Deleting and reinstalling sample content feels silly.

I’ll think about it over a session and decide tomorrow.

Not that I can tell specifically but it sure feels like it. The automatic unloading of unused channels made a massive difference in my sessions. I have a bad habit of not deleting unused track stacks

[QUOTE

Thanks, @gpax! You've been a major help.[/QUOTE]
I am not in front of my studio machine now , I think you can just drag the sample folder to another HD and in the settings in SD3 you can point where the samples are located .

Well I didn't vote in the poll, but have just been messaged to say my latest Mac has been delivered, and it's a Mid-2012 i7 MacBook Pro which I got for a very reasonable price off eBay.

Not for real serious use, but to allow me to mess about with stuff on Logic and Ableton while sitting in the lounge instead of shut away in the "studio", and hence might save my marriage! ;)

4. As you mentioned, the essential software packages, or anything not yet located, will show up in your list of products as not installed, with options to decide wither to locate it, or install anew.

To be clear in terms of what you call "libraries," there is a distinction here between the essential software packages from NI which will need to be installed, and locating sample libraries on other drives that have already been installed at some point prior to moving to the new Mac.

Things like Absynth, Kontakt, Reaktor, and FX are all system-level applications that must be installed anew. Those get installed into the main NI folder, in my case, 36 items total.

BUT, sample content for Kontakt-based instruments (NI and third-party), or Battery content, if already installed on external drives, can take advantage of the "LOCATE" function to get them to appear as "INSTALLED" in Native Access when setting things up.

And obviously, the bulk of these will need to see that Kontakt is present, hence my suggestion to make sure that is installed on the system drive first.
Returned from vacation and finally got around to this. It worked brilliantly. Thanks again!

All I have left are a few 3rd party Kontakt libs, Spitfire, Sonccicouture & Orange Tree Samples (and a few non Kontakt libs). In NA, I don't get the "Locate" option for these by hovering. And instead of "Install", these libs say "Add Library".

I was able to locate Spitfire samples via their installer, I think, but it got late and I didn't get to try and open any of the instruments via Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol. If it did work, it didn't update the install status in NA. And I didn't get to Soniccouture & OTS. Still now sure how to handle these.

Oh yeah, for some reason hovering over Battery 4's "Install" doesn't provide the "Locate" option. Might this be a known issue?

Ha! Scared of nothing. Add Library was nothing but another name for locate. All libraries done, just a handful of effect plugins, Battery Factory Lib & Logic remaining.

Unfortunately a known issue - known too late by me - with the Focusrite Clarett app & driver put a halt to my setting up. Hopefully they get back to me in time for me to take full advantage of my 4-day weekend.

Top Bottom