What's new

So, what Mac are you going to get next? (Poll)

What Mac will you be buying next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
With a Hackintosh can you tap into regular system/app updates through App Store/System Prefs (however that. or ally works) or do you have to do that manually or with some kind of third party workaround?

Until Apple drops Intel for Arm, which I hope won’t happen too soon, I will happily stick to Hackintoshes. I can build them according to my needs, and they cost less.

A properly built hackintosh with regularly updated kexts even beats the real thing compatibility and stability wise over the years and across new MacOS versions.

When Apple effectively switches to Arm, then I don’t know...

I had to move up to the 2013 MP 6,1 last summer as my old 3,1 finally couldn’t keep up with what I was throwing at it and I had 2 paying game scores to deliver. Didn’t regret it then or now because I couldn’t afford the intro 7,1 MP and would be stuck with an iMac quad instead of the 6 core (soon to be upgraded to 12 core) Vader helmet that is connected to a 34” LG ultrawide monitor. For me, this is a beast and better than I’d expected.

I plan to replace my 2012 6 core Cheeze with an i9 iMac.
I'll wait to see if the early adopters of the 2019 MP will be able to make me jelly enough to break my bank account for something way over my head.

So, xmas time,..
I do get the AES member discount and that's usually the same as an employee discount.
My current monitor has been pretty blotchy the last couple of months so I hope it lasts!

Buying an iMac, how much internal storage is really necessary? Atm I use Windows 10, I have almost 2 TB samples on regular SSDs right now.

Do you think an internal SSD with 512 GB is enough?

Until Apple drops Intel for Arm, which I hope won’t happen too soon, I will happily stick to Hackintoshes. I can build them according to my needs, and they cost less.

A properly built hackintosh with regularly updated kexts even beats the real thing compatibility and stability wise over the years and across new MacOS versions.

When Apple effectively switches to Arm, then I don’t know...
I agree if you know what you are doing, it is a good call. For anyone who understands computers, but for creatives who do not, I would warn steer well clear. As it will waste your time fixing it when it goes down with changes.

And with the vulnerabilities of Intel Chips I would not want to be running a system without the proper firmware patching in place anymore.

So no more hackintoshes for me

I got a vader 18 months ago and hope it will be my last workstation mac. The refurb MBPs are a good deal for me for general use, so I don't mind getting a relatively fresh one now and then, at least for parts, but the new MP is just too expensive for what it is. I do make a reasonable/modest living producing music and other audio, but I don't need and can't justify buying the new Mac Pro. It's obviously not for us middle tier people. When I can't update the vader, I'll switch to another platform. I'll miss LPX, but also won't miss it in some ways. C'est la vie.

Buying an iMac, how much internal storage is really necessary? Atm I use Windows 10, I have almost 2 TB samples on regular SSDs right now.

Do you think an internal SSD with 512 GB is enough?
I've always used a 256G SSD for my system drive so I was planning on 512G when I order.
BTW, after watching the tuts, I'm not worried about opening up an iMac to replace it if needed.

For folks on the wall about buying an iMac worried about the screen dying, check out this tut from ifixit. Moderate difficulty and a new 5k 27 inch is $500.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Display+Replacement/30518

Last edited:
I think I've ruled out the new Mac Pro, but I would LOVE a new iMac Pro with an upgraded CPU and a 32" screen.

For folks on the wall about buying an iMac worried about the screen dying, check out this tut from ifixit. Moderate difficulty and a new 5k 27 inch is $500.

I replaced the fan in my iMac recently. It's not difficult at all really - just a bit of a hassle. Swapping out the SSD or adding a second drive is much more work though as you have to take everything out just to be able to access the ports.

There is a way to upgrade a 5,1 Mac Pro(firmware updated 2009, 2010/2012)to 10.15 (Catalina) From Mojave. You need to already have upgraded to a Metal compatible GPU working with Mojave of course.

You’ll need to install 10.15 on an external boot drive using a 10.15 compatible Mac. You then install that 10.15 boot drive into the Mac Pro 5,1 with no other boot drive in any bay or a PCIe slot. Then start up and do the PRAM/NVRAM reset so it chimes 3 times. This will get the audio working. There probably will not be WIFI unless it’s been upgraded to a newer model WIFI card.

I will probably go with a good spec Mac Mini, because I have had a really good experience with my 2012 Mini. But I don’t like the closed systems thing, as I surely can chance ram and hdd’s myself.

This thread has pretty good info about that and will be developing as smarter hacks are devised: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-catalina-developer-preview-works-more-or-less….2183978/

Frankly I think many of us will not leave Mojave too soon because of 32bit apps. By the time I'm ready to do that, I think there will be a quick and easy way to install Catalina on the 5,1 though as you said, wifi will probably not ever work again. Or maybe it will. People are looking into how they might get it working and they might. I personally don't need it.

As far as install goes, according to what I've read its a matter of simply editing a few lines in some low level boot file and then the installer will run without having to swap boot drives and all that. So I think someone will make that easier, if you're so inclined. There's a good chance my 5,1 is never leaving Mojave though.

Last edited:
I don't know. I have a cheesegrater and trash can which I quite like, but need both and need to have a plan when the cheesegrater gets too old. I'm rather stuck on Logic and when you include the cost of another DAW like Cubase ($800 + upgrades) the price of Apple hardware looks better. I want a 2019 but they targeted this for the top end video pros, not developers or audio guys. Won't buy a iMac, I'm particular about monitors and have my own set of expensive ones. Damn you Apple! The arrogance ...

I'll see, unlikely but if they released a $4k 2019 MP SKU I'd get that. Otherwise I'll probably buy another trash can, used this time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom