What's new

So, what Mac are you going to get next? (Poll)

What Mac will you be buying next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its on a bunch of webpages this morning, Apple's Catalina requirements lists late 2013 Mac Pro as the oldest MacPro. Now..that being said...I seem to recall seeing some stuff like that about Mojave and then it turned out later that if you get a non-Apple Metal card it still actually is supported,.... so maybe we'll luck out on this too...but so far I've read it in several places this morning that 5,1 MacPro is being cut off at Mojave.

I got the mini late last year. i7 6-core, put in 32 GB RAM 3rd party myself. My friend works at Apple so I got 15% off. Been working great for me, But I don't have the workflow with 150 tracks open at a time. For a moderate number of tracks my system works really, really well and is not so expensive compared to comparable windows machines- especially with the 15% off. I would recommend.

Isn't Catalina a transition OS: no more 32-bit apps? If so, it may be more likely to leave older machines in the dust than other Mac operating systems and may not be the best gauge to use to judge the typical, optimal lifespan of a Mac.

There's also the factor that few of us use the latest operating system anyway. My Mac can support Mojave, but I'm still running Sierra. Does that mean my Mac has already exceeded its lifespan?

I agree that a ten-year-old Mac isn't nearly as useful as a newer Mac. My 2008 Mac Pro lives in storage these days. Nonetheless, I haven't parted with it yet because I keep toying with bringing it back into service again. For example, it could run my 32-bit apps, like Quicken 2007 and Photoshop CS 5 once I've moved to Catalina. Old Macs can provide a useful bridge to the past.

Best,

Geoff

no more 32-bit apps?
That is correct and believe it or not, an awful lot of stuff is still 32bit.

If so, it may be more likely to leave older machines in the dust than other Mac operating systems and may not be the best gauge to use to judge the typical, optimal lifespan of a Mac.
I don't know how old you're talking about 10 year old macs can all run 64bit apps no problem whatsoever. The issue is that many applications, drivers, etc..are not actually written in 64bit. They will have to be in order to run on Catalina.

There's also the factor that few of us use the latest operating system anyway. My Mac can support Mojave, but I'm still running Sierra.
True story

Its on a bunch of webpages this morning, Apple's Catalina requirements lists late 2013 Mac Pro as the oldest MacPro. Now..that being said...I seem to recall seeing some stuff like that about Mojave and then it turned out later that if you get a non-Apple Metal card it still actually is supported,.... so maybe we'll luck out on this too...but so far I've read it in several places this morning that 5,1 MacPro is being cut off at Mojave.
Thanks - Just saw that info as well. From TechRadar: Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer, or older models with Metal-compatible GPU)

Hope TechRader has it right about Metal Cards, and I think maybe so. Apple is not listing it I guess because its not a "complete" configuration that they ever sold. Cross our fingers... My cheesegrater wants to live!

But it still runs fine, no? Regardless, you guys are right, that is a detriment.

More or less, absolutely. I've upgraded the RAM and added an SSD along the way and couldn't be happier with how well this thing has held up over the years. I'm just a little bummed that the walls finally seem to be closing in on me, heh.

I don't think I'm ever gonna get a Mac again, my two iMacs 2011 both died from the damned Radeon 6970m issue and both died a year after I could do it on warranty.

I'm perfectly happy on Windows 10 Pro with Studio One and Cubase.

I've gone from 'everything Apple' for about the last 20 years, to 'screw them..'

Sure, I love what they were and what they've offered, and I've loved the way I used to be able to just by a used Mac and upgrade it and have a nice machine. Didn't have to buy Logic or iMovie or whatever in order to be in business. I even bought new Apples back in the late '90's/early 2000's until I saw the light and realized you could buy awesome used machines and make 'em even better). Those days are sadly gone for those of us who don't work for Apple or aren't full-time computer Mac-freak-geeks....some of us actually want to work on music!

It's their whole bloody business model I now hate...them wanting to immerse us in their whole 'Apple-verse' of everything interconnected and dependent on being able to buy a new machine and/or upgrade your OSX every 10 months and then have to hope that you can continue working...while being ever so slowly being coerced into having to then upgrade/buy more iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc. etc.etc.

Screw it. Really....life's too short... none of us should spend every last dime on stupid computers that only make the Silicon Valley types more wealthy, more conservative, more culturally-bereft', more power-hungry, more of a monopoly, etc. etc.

Too bad that our kids have had to grow up surrounded by iPads in their schools (here in most of US) and that Apple has been trying to suck them in. It's my job (and my wife) to ensure that our daughter doesn't grow up in the Apple-trap (...or any other life-sucking techno-trap....Google -chrome is just as bad)

Good-bye Apple; we had some good times together. I'll still treat my 2009 MacPro and 2011 MacBook Pro with some reverence until I can retire them and get productive on a PC/Windows 10 machine and laptop setup.

They work just as great, and the music will still sound fine, and I can have some extra cash to also get out and enjoy life.

To echo @cmillar's post, I've been building PC computers since 1987 or so, owned a ton of them and still do. I bought three iPhones, 3GS, 4 and 4S, then bought an iMac 2011 because I loved Logic.

When I was using XP, Vista came out, tried it, trashed it! Same with Windows 7, couldn't stand it! Then moved to OS X.

I can't say I didn't like OS X/MacOS because I still do, I'm a big fan of *nix-based Operating systems. But the whole planned obsolescence is not for this old PC builder; Hell, You can still use Vista64 and run every damned current application.

Ever since Win8 came out (and installed Classic Shell) I found that it was pretty fast so I liked Windows 10 later on, that is after about 2 years from its release. Using Windows 10 Pro 1709 (Updates are off) and I couldn't be happier with the stability.

Right now, the only Apple product I have is an iPad Pro 12.9 2017 256Gb (with an headphone jack!) and even if tried to replace it I couldn't - The Android tablet market is non-existent/obsolete. But I love it. In my opinion, it's the best and probably last good Apple product they'll ever release.

I'm currently running my trashcan Mac Pro. It's serving me quite well but I do have the itch to get the new Mac Pro this fall, which is most likely going to happen. The memory expansion on top of the PCIE expansion is amazing. No more having to rely on my thunderbolt 3 enclosure and the limitations of TB2 of the current Mac Pro.

Mac Pro 2019 for music production, seriously? Complete overkill

Well actually, for sampled compositions and especially in the post world, this machine is amazing. The amount of ram this machine can occupy is nothing short of impressive. PCIe expansion is amazing. Pro tools facilities will definitely be using these for HDX systems.

I'd agree if you only do recordings, and basic small production (minimal VSTs, small projects, etc).

But like I said, this is not necessarily overkill for those in the field.

Until Apple drops Intel for Arm, which I hope won’t happen too soon, I will happily stick to Hackintoshes. I can build them according to my needs, and they cost less.

A properly built hackintosh with regularly updated kexts even beats the real thing compatibility and stability wise over the years and across new MacOS versions.

When Apple effectively switches to Arm, then I don’t know...

Top Bottom