What's new

So, what Mac are you going to get next? (Poll)

What Mac will you be buying next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex Fraser

Requires ☕️
Hey VI Control massive. Finally, the question "What will Apple do about the Mac Pro" has been answered.

Now we have a clear picture of Apple's Mac roadmap for the coming years, I thought it would be interesting to see what hardware the forum collective intend to buy next. Looking forward to your thoughts.
A

Edit: I should probably add that this poll is designed as an actual measure of intention (budget etc) rather than a wishlist!

Last edited:
I find the design really interesting, and the "sort of" expandability a step in the right direction, but I can build a comparable base line model PC for ~$1200-$1500. The prices are obscene and comparable computing power can be had for much less. Sticking with PC hardware.

Answer: none of the above. I bought an iMac Pro last year that I expect to be happy with for the foreseeable future.

The Apple tax is just too much for me to buy their actual hardware anymore, so I build my own. My next computer will be another self-built tower, though whether I run macOS on it like my current one or just go for Win10 this time around is an open question. Right now my i7-4790k hack from 2014 is still getting the job done, but I'm looking forward to getting on a newer generation CPU somewhere down the line.

Well, I almost jumped back to PC recently, but I love Logic too much. And let's face it, on Mac everything "just works". Still on my 2013 MB Pro (PC slave), which is still going strong, so I'll just keep plugging along. Honestly, this think runs huge projects and has never let me down, not a single crash. I think too many users "think" they need a more powerful machine....when in fact they already have what they need (I am guilty of this). When the day comes to upgrade, it will all depend on what gigs I have on the horizon so that I can justify the purchase. Ultimately, a new Mac Pro would be wonderful, but is definitely overkill for my studio. I'll most likely end up with a new MB Pro again, or Mac Mini.

I find the design really interesting, and the "sort of" expandability a step in the right direction, but I can build a comparable base line model PC for ~$1200-$1500. The prices are obscene and comparable computing power can be had for much less. Sticking with PC hardware.

You could build a similar PC for that price? We're talking an 8-core 3.5GHz Intel Xeon W with 32GB Ram as the base model.

You don't need a Xeon for the type of work we do. i9-9900K will outperform that 8-core Xeon and cost less (Xeon W-3223 estimated at $750 on release, i9-9900K can be had for $490 at Newegg). And it can run at 5 GHz across all cores, Xeons cannot do that. Hence, it would smoke that Xeon easily.

I thought I'd be considering the Mini, but I can get the specs I need at a pretty similar price from the iMac. That will probably be my choice. But when....

I don't mind Windows, but I hate doing Windows IT. Also, I trust Apple more with my privacy than I trust Microsoft, and my experience with Apple's tech support is far better than my experience with Microsoft's. I'll stick with Mac, thank you.

I do have to admit, though, that I'm not sure which option will work best for my next Mac. I doubt I'll buy for at least a year or two, so I'll wait and see if Apple sticks with Intel and whether the entry level Mac Pros make sense for me at that time. By then, the top of the line MacBook Pro may be all I need.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
How about: Apples products have gotten so expensive I can no longer afford to play in their playground anymore?
Idk what I’m gonna do when my current computer gets too old to run anything.

The word on the street is that the 2012 MacPro will not be able to run OSX Catalina. That is not ten years.

Top Bottom