What's new

So, what Mac are you going to get next? (Poll)

What Mac will you be buying next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patryk Scelina

I wonder when the first benchmarks will come, but they only say marginally how the machine behaves when you use audio signals. I would like to switch from several slaves to one machine for economic reasons, but the price will decide above is worth it compared to now.
Since i also like to upgrade older hardware and use it as slaves, this is still an unbeatable price and performance combination.
I wait until the first practical tests and the price are known.
Oh yeah, me too. I currently use 2 VEPRO clients ( I just try not to use term "slave" :) ) and on one hand it's awesome but it can become a nightmare when I need to go back to some older project and then it turns out something is missing or just doesn't work as it should.

Patryk Scelina

Only update when needed and check the forums before you update :)

And indeed use something as carbon copy cloner to backup properly. But you probably already do.
Yes I learned that after my first freeze after update. Fortunatelly timemachine saved me at that time. And I actually avoid updates most of the time. I'm still on High Sierra and first or second update, don't remember now.

yellowtone

I'm curious about iMac vs. iMac Pro vs. Mac Pro. Clearly the specs get better as you look up toward the Pro series, but how should I think about how much RAM or processing speed is really required, and weigh that against both initial costs and viable lifespan for the product? I currently have a 2015 iMac with 16GB RAM and it's working fine, but that said I don't use a ton of libraries yet. As my computer ages and software requirements increase, and as I get into more advanced compositions and running larger libraries/compositions, I'm certain I'll need a new machine. I'm not the kind of person who loves getting the latest and greatest every time it comes out. Rather, I'm fine paying more initially so that I don't have to buy another machine sooner as I don't enjoy the process of transferring files, setting up a new machine, etc. For example, how much longer should I expect the Mac Pro to last vs. a fully loaded iMac? Will I ever need to expand the RAM beyond 64GB (top amount in the iMac line)?

AndyP

I'm curious about iMac vs. iMac Pro vs. Mac Pro.
In my opinion, the iMac i9 9900k is currently the best Apple computer you can buy for a good price.
Ram can even be upgraded to 128 GB.
Since the components are plugged into 4 slots in pairs, you can start with 2 x 16 or 2 x 32 and do the same later. Mixed is possible, so 2 x 8 and 2 x 16 or 2 x 16 and 2 x 32 and so on. I currently have the two 8GB modules and 2 x 32, so a total of 72, which is perfectly sufficient. The CPU's performance is at the level of the small iMac Pro, the graphics are completely sufficient for audio.
I still haven't had any acoustic contact with the fans, except when unpacking large rar or zip packages.
I'm very satisfied with the iMac, and since I've been using it I've been starting the MacPro slaves much less often.

EDIT:
The new MAcPro will cost as much as 2 iMacs even in its basic configuration, and the question is whether you need such a beast.
Unfortunately you don't know yet how Apple will offer the MacPros in which configurations, I think the versions with more than 8 cores will increase the price a lot.

yellowtone

In my opinion, the iMac i9 9900k is currently the best Apple computer you can buy for a good price.
Ram can even be upgraded to 128 GB.
Since the components are plugged into 4 slots in pairs, you can start with 2 x 16 or 2 x 32 and do the same later. Mixed is possible, so 2 x 8 and 2 x 16 or 2 x 16 and 2 x 32 and so on. I currently have the two 8GB modules and 2 x 32, so a total of 72, which is perfectly sufficient. The CPU's performance is at the level of the small iMac Pro, the graphics are completely sufficient for audio.
I still haven't had any acoustic contact with the fans, except when unpacking large rar or zip packages.
I'm very satisfied with the iMac, and since I've been using it I've been starting the MacPro slaves much less often.
Thanks very much, this is interesting and seems like a great option when my system no longer suffices. Is this model the latest iMac available - the 27" which you can upgrade to the i9 chip (3.6GHz, turbo to 5.0GHz)? I like that the RAM can be exanded even to to 128 GB, although it's odd that Apple states the max is 64GB. For RAM, do you suggest using what Apple sells or getting 3rd party RAM?

EDIT:
The new MAcPro will cost as much as 2 iMacs even in its basic configuration, and the question is whether you need such a beast.
Unfortunately you don't know yet how Apple will offer the MacPros in which configurations, I think the versions with more than 8 cores will increase the price a lot.
Agreed, I highly doubt I will need the Mac Pro, especially given the cost when including a monitor. But I thought I'd include it in case someone said the lifespan was 2x the iMac options, which doesn't seem likely.

JohnG

I'm considering new i9 iMac but I'm just a little bit afraid about all my drives with samples and also lots of external USB hardware. Right now I use 4 SSDs inside my Hackintosh plus 1 HDD for additional files. When swiched to iMac I'd have to get at least 2 thunderbolt external SSD cases to get the same performance on my 4 SSD drives. And that's it no more thunderbolt ports which means I can't plug additional displays, am I right ?
Not sure how relevant it is Patryk, but I use an iMac for Pro Tools, with an external thunderbolt. It seems to have great capacity. Also, quite a number of Thunderbolt devices have a pass-through with, allegedly, no speed loss. I am always wondering about that stuff but it does seem to work perfectly.

Put another way, you seem to be able to daisy-chain Thunderbolt devices quite a few steps without seeing meaningful degredation in performance. In my case, I can't tell if there's any degradation at all.

ironbut

I got one of the i9 iMacs and so far, happy as a clam.
In the short time that I've been using it (a month) I haven't had to think about it except for admiring the beautiful 5k display!
I'm hoping that tech has come far enough that I don't have to get inside and do the whole upgrade thing like I used to with my 2012 Mac Pro .
But, I'm not too demanding.

I have 64 G ram (2 owc sticks), the upgraded graphics and a 512 ssd installed. I use a Blackmagic Multidock2 and a Metric Halo LIO-8 (ethernet and/or usb).

Shad0wLandsUK

I ended up getting an almost maxed-out mac mini (i7 6-Core, 8GB (upgraded to 32 and then 64 soon), 1TB storage, 10GbE :)

This is to compliment my Mac Pro 2012 and i7 2014 ASUS PC
Will be my main daw and because of the low power I can run this as a media server and sleep my other machines while away from the house!

Perfect deal and paired it with a Dell U3818DW Display

LinusW

When swiched to iMac I'd have to get at least 2 thunderbolt external SSD cases to get the same performance on my 4 SSD drives.
What? 4 SATA SSDs? You could get a 4 or 5 bay Thunderbolt DAS. Most of them even have link port so you could daisy chain six TB devices on a single iMac TB port.
AKiTiO Thunder3 Quad Mini would do 4 SSDs in RAID. It's got a link port and even DisplayPort port to connect a display without breaking the TB chain.

Top Bottom