1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, what’s the best big choir library now?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by kimarnesen, Dec 6, 2017.

1. kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    Now as we know a little bit about the Hollywood choir, what choir would you use for strong, rhythmic music and/or big legato melodic lines with an orchestra?

I’ve been considering Lacrimosa, so any experience with that one would be interesting. I haven’t found many reviews of it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. Jaap

Jaap Yes that is an alto flute

Requiem Light still finds it way here into my productions and the 3.0 update was great. Also the choir in Metropolis Ark is great and if would hunt for any choir on the market I would definately check out the Strezov Choirs Wotan, Frya and the childrens one which I cant remember the name from.
    Hollywood Choir is more a classical/film choir, but with the right skills and programming it can be used also in the more "epic" settings

3. That would be Arva :)

Those choirs are awesome and I really planned on getting them too
    Wotan has some serious weight to the Low end, which is something I find lacks in some sampled choirs
    As someone who is a fan 'weighty vocals' as it were ;)

And the life and atmosphere in Arva is something to be desired also I think

MillsMixx, Jaap and George Bellas like this.
  4. George Bellas

George Bellas Senior Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Arva, Freyja, and Wotan are all stunning libraries; for me they are nothing short of awe-inspiring and spine-shivering. All three libraries are absolutely superb in many respects.

5. George Bellas

George Bellas Senior Member

Jul 24, 2017
    8DIO's Lacrimosa is beyond epic. If you want a large sounding choir library, Lacrimosa is it. Hands down.

6. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Wotan and (especially) Freyja are nice, but something that isn't talked about at all on here is that Wotan has a few messed up samples in the lower dynamics for the men that have significant background noise making them, in my opinion unusable. It sounds like someone flipping papers or something like that ... and it occurs on multiple samples. Just something to keep in mind. I haven't reached out to Strezov support yet because I haven't really had the time to thoroughly go through it all and catalog every problematic sample.

Edit: As a side note I think that the playability of both libraries is fantastic. I love what Strezov has done with the Syllabuilder. Those the kind of forward thinking features I look for in a library. If it weren't for the sample issues I mentioned I would not hesitate at all to recommend Wotan ... and as for Freyja it has no problems that I can find so I can wholeheartedly recommend that one already :)

7. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I would probably wait a couple of months, just sayin' ;)

8. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    OK? ;)

synthpunk likes this.
  9. Hat_Tricky

Hat_Tricky Senior Member

Sep 19, 2015
    8dio's Lacrimosa is HUGE sounding. Great for epic tracks, trailers, etc.

Andrew_m, InLight-Tone and kimarnesen like this.
  10. MrLinssi

MrLinssi A glorified bedroom musician.

Oct 1, 2016
    Finland
    Storm Choir III is coming and maybe one from Spitfire too (don't quote me on that), so unless you're in a terrible hurry...wait a bit. ;)

kimarnesen likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    kimarnesen

kimarnesen Composer

Feb 12, 2014
    I havent
    I haven’t tried Storm Choir myself and I’ve been a bit skeptical because on their demos the choir is so hidden behind the orchestra that I have worried they are trying to hide how it really sounds...?

And Spitfire with Whitacre, will probably similar to Insolidus (which I have) with a chamber choir.

12. SoundChris

SoundChris Senior Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Germany
    Well i think it depends on what you want to achieve with the choir:

Best Choir for sacred / ecclesiastic / realistic / medieval choir performances
    - Fluffy Audio Dominus (SATB sacred sound)
    - Eduardo Tarilonte Mystica (Female Choir. Besides the sound and scripting the specialty here lies in the archaic sound: no vibrato, but you can insert artificiant vib)
    - Eduardo Tarilonte Cantus (Male Choir. While it isnt that smooth like mystica the sound is great especially for gregorian choir. But like i said: it stil has issues)

Best Child Choir: Strezov Sampling Arva (Horner-Style Demo by Oschmann and Elfman-Style Demo by Raynaud)

Best Choir for Lyrical, Fantasy Stuff:
    - Strezov Sampling Freyja, Wotan, Arva (demos above) and Storm Choir 2
    - 8Dio Requiem Pro (Demo 1, 2, 3)
    - 8Dio Insolidus

Best Choir for Faster / Action Epic Stuff:
    - Performance Samples Oceania
    - Strezov Samples Storm Choir I and II
    - 8Dio Emperium (maybe the most epic demo i have ever heared. Even I dont use Emperium that often: "holy shit - what a demo.")

Ethnic Choir:
    - Strezov Samples Rhodope II
    - Eduardo Tarilonte Kwaya

I did not take in consideration: Cinesamples Voxos 2 (dont have it and also dont know much about it), the EWQL Symphonic Choirs (not state of the art anymore IMO) and Hollywood Choirs (sorry but that one disappointed me too much ...). Of course thats my very personal preference. But I do believe that these are the strongest. Lets see what Spitfire brings and also Strezov with their upcoming Storm Choir III!

Lawson., Allegro, Kony and 3 others like this.
  13. Lotias

Lotias Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    What I want to know is - where on Earth are the small choirs?

omiroad likes this.
  14. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    What about Soundirons Mars and Venus? Or Oceania? Ok, Oceania is a one trick pony, but the playability is just awesome

15. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Does anyone know when Storm Choir III is supposed to come out?

16. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The only problem for me with Wotan is that they scoop into every mote, unlike Freya and Arva. They are very good libraries though.

17. Fugdup

Fugdup Member Of The Year

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    OT M.Ark 1 and 2 choirs are just yummy.

18. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Any recommendations for a good versatile choir lib? Considering Soundiron Olympus or Fluffy Audio dominus at the moment.

nathantboler likes this.
  19. tim727

tim727 Senior Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I've actually found the Wotan sample issue I was referring to in one of the official demos. Go to about 1:32/1:33 ... you can hear a very clear background noise which was unfortunately picked up in one of the low dynamic samples. It's actually quite loud. (That is not the only sample that has such a noise. There are at least two or three in the lib. Perhaps more ... I haven't done a truly thorough play-through yet.)

20. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Any recommendations for a good versatile choir lib? Considering Soundiron Olympus or Fluffy Audio dominus at the moment.