What's new

So - Tokyo Strings and Pacific Strings both arriving September-ish (Probably) where is your money going?

We are spoilt for choice these days that's for sure. I had my hands on the Pacific alpha and I loved the sound and the out-of-the-box playability. I'm also testing TSS which is a different beast altogether both soundwise and from a technical perspective. TSS is through its TACT engine very easy to make your own. It will have a lookahead function, etc, etc.
You can make good sounding music with both of them. It's really a taste thing.
So you're suggesting I should get the Taste multi expansion? ^_^

I know, it is not really helpful. TSS and Pacific are both lovely to play and you can work fast with them. Choose the one that fits your musical vision best.

I think you filled your 'ass' quota for the day! Audiobro are using your slogan 'LASS isn't ass but it's dated' to try and get people onto MSS :emoji_wink: Speaking of which, MSS could be about the same price as TSS next month with BF, it doesn't appeal to your ass?
Evidently you didn't see my anti-MSS rants on that thread lol. I bought it and strongly dislike it... don't get me going 😆

You've got MSS, NSS, Century, Hollywood Strings, the old VSL and Dimension Strings, and I'm sure I'm still missing a few, all covering a dry and flexible sound...but I can see both sides of this one. TSS still offers a type of sound and expression that's uncommon and it sounds pretty convincing.
Yep I've got all of them and use some of them and I'm hoping TSS will be my new holy grail... We shall see 😂

Evidently you didn't see my anti-MSS rants on that thread lol. I bought it and strongly dislike it... don't get me going 😆
No I didn't, I had a quick check but it's a pretty massive thread and I soon got lost :) I'd be interested to know your gripes, as I know @Casiquire @borisb2 and @Baronvonheadless all love MSS and the videos look like it has a ton of unique features - look ahead, ostinato, runs, aleatoric builders etc.

Was your dislike based on the pre 1.2 release? I think Boris mentioned something about 1.2 fixing the issues some had with it?

The only library I have of theirs is Genesis which I think is a masterpiece of programming, so interested to get both sides of opinions on MSS as it's moved into pole position on my BF wishlist!

Last edited:
No I didn't, I had a quick check but it's a pretty massive thread and I soon got lost :) I'd be interested to know your gripes, as I know @Casiquire @borisb2 and @Baronvonheadless all love MSS and the videos look like it has a ton of unique features - look ahead, ostinato, runs, aleatoric builders etc.

Was your dislike based on the pre 1.2 release? I think Boris mentioned something about 1.2 fixing the issues some had with it?

The only library I have of theirs is Genesis which I think is a masterpiece of programming, so interested to get both sides of opinions on MSS as it's moved into pole position on my BF wishlist!
In a nutshell: I am a huge LASS fanboy, so was super excited to get my hands on MSS. Didn't like the tone or playability. Was really shocked at how shoddily the whole thing was rolled out. Knew within 15 minutes I'd never touch the thing again. Reinstalled with an update and then realized I just don't like the core tone so they can reprogram it all they want.

In a nutshell: I am a huge LASS fanboy, so was super excited to get my hands on MSS. Didn't like the tone or playability. Was really shocked at how shoddily the whole thing was rolled out. Knew within 15 minutes I'd never touch the thing again. Reinstalled with an update and then realized I just don't like the core tone so they can reprogram it all they want.
Thanks for the feedback. LASS sounds great, living up to it was always going to be challenging. I really like the tone of MMS compared to TSS though, so I guess it comes down to personal taste :)

Thanks for the feedback. LASS sounds great, living up to it was always going to be challenging. I really like the tone of MMS compared to TSS though, so I guess it comes down to personal taste :)
Yep, and what you want to use it for! From what I hear so far, TSS seems to be my ideal >studio< string library. Pacific sounds like my ideal symphonic/trailerish library. MSS seems to me like a decent library now with updates, but the sound is kinda generic and not too detailed. I'll bet I'm going to flip over the LASS3 update :)

I either going to get Pacific or TSS but I can't decide, maybe I should just get both? Before I even knew about TSS I was planning on doing a bunch of FF7R mockups, could it be the best library for the job?

I either going to get Pacific or TSS but I can't decide, maybe I should just get both? Before I even knew about TSS I was planning on doing a bunch of FF7R mockups, could it be the best library for the job?
Depends on which pieces. For the big epic pieces like the Scorpion Sentinel and Airbuster themes, Areia has been giving me the best results.

Depends on which pieces. For the big epic pieces like the Scorpion Sentinel and Airbuster themes, Areia has been giving me the best results.
All the epic ones, was going start with Bombing Run and Battle Theme. Did Areia work best because of the tone or the articulations? I was leaning towards Pacific, the demos just sound so good.

I love the timbre of the strings from the OST, I wish TSS can achieve that.
Maybe it's just me, but a lot of the time I've been hearing people say that they're hoping TSS can sound a certain way, I keep hearing VSL Dimension Strings 1 (the Close preset, if for the Synchron-ized edition). It's not exactly the same, but it's darn close. Far, far closer than any other released library that I've heard. It's just that most of the DS1 demos aren't in that style.

Granted, TSS is significantly lower in price and has that nifty lookahead feature (among other positives). Still, DS1-3 is an amazingly comprehensive package.

Last edited:
Hi,

I think TSS is not limited at all to be used for Japanese Animation soundtrack applications.

I think from the last video posted, it sounds very versatile, and able to be sonically morphed via reverb or other sonic treatments to sound big and lush, for a more cinematic sound if that's needed.

I love the shorts, especially the way the Spicc. Secco articulation sounds. The Legatos are also very smooth, and expressive. The one thing I couldn't get to hear in detail is the Vibrato, maybe some of the future videos will focus on the quality, and character of the Vibrato when it is set to full value, also the Molto Vibrato.

The Sordino Switch did a great job, I like that they implemented it in this library.

The Violas sounded very nice and rich.

The Spicc-Overlay for the Legatos is another very useful feature. I didn't notice where that can be enabled in the GUI, so maybe a bit more detailed videos on the GUI, without rushing threw it would be helpful.

The Narration volume was way too loud, compared to the DAW playing TSS in the last video, I had to keep lowering, and boosting the volume. Maybe keeping levels more equal for both audio streams would be possible in future videos.

The Lookahead Mode showed three buttons : Pure Attack , Easy Artic , Legato Speed , so I'm looking forward to know more about the Lookahead feature, and what these buttons do.

Poly-Legato sounded nice, a useful feature to have, more videos on this detail would be helpful as well.

The Mic Options sounded very good, but I didn't notice a huge difference between them, so I'm guessing there won't be a need to use more than two of them, at least for my needs, given I can add reverb to taste to get the desired result.

Thanks to ISW for the video, looking forward to watch more TSS videos before the official release.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Haha.. none of them arrived Septemberish.

We are in Nov. ,and they might not be out until December.

Thread title needs an edit/update :laugh:

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of the time I've been hearing people say that they're hoping TSS can sound a certain way, I keep hearing VSL Dimension Strings 1 (the Close preset, if for the Synchron-ized edition). It's not exactly the same, but it's darn close. Far, far closer than any other released library that I've heard. It's just that most of the DS1 demos aren't in that style.

Granted, TSS is significantly lower in price and has that nifty lookahead feature (among other positives). Still, DS1-3 is an amazingly comprehensive package.
Japanese string tone has a special mid range warmth, at least for me. I don’t listen or not a fan of anime or games music, however I’m a fan and listen to tons of Japanese drama and film OST’s.

It’s always a dream to have a string library sampled from Japan. I do agree that Dimension Strings are so comprehensive, no doubt that I’m still using them in my production. The downside of DS is that it’s such a luxurious library to eat up tons of computer resources. My DS template has 88664, each player in MIR Pro, and my computer just can’t handle this monster.

But after watching the walkthrough of the TSS, I’ve decided staying with VSL, both DS and Synchron Elite. TSS doesn’t fit my bill.

Already pre-ordered TSS but if it releases before Black Friday I probably won't download /register it in Native Access until many users can give their feedback and upload tracks using it so I can be more sure on it.

The concept is everything I'd want from a string library since I love Muroya's string sound but there's still some quirks in the library I'm a bit unsure of with some transitions and it can sound slightly flat to me.

Hopefully we can hear it in more demos and musical contexts soon since when this library’s tone shines, it *shines*
Have a lot of hope it turns out to be everything I want it to be!

Last edited:
This is just me, but I don't actually hear all of the positive things people are saying about TSS. I'm not in love with the tone, and playability aside, I'm not in love with the transitions either. None of the melodic lines I've heard thusly have made me think that it does anything any of the other top libraries out there can do.

I'm just not sure what new it brings to the table beyond a tone (that I don't care for anyway). I don't think it's going to elevate anyone's musical passages, and I don't think any listeners of our work are going to be impressed by the signature mix either. Happy to hear otherwise.

Top Bottom