What's new
Decided to have a go at writing a really Scottish piece of music, this is the piano sketch so far, would like to know what people think.

I've got a few areas I'm not entirely sure of which I'll mention here but please take a listen first and then maybe see these notes to see if you thought the same on your first listen.

1. The opening might be able to be cut and just start at 0:19 seconds? Thought I would put it in because I had that little part in 1:06 so thought I would introduce it a little earlier so it doesn't come out of nowhere. I could then maybe have the A theme play a little longer?

2. 1:00 Maybe I should save the chord progression change for later on in the piece? Maybe we've not got quite used to the main idea yet to have it change just now?

3. 1:12 maybe not the best transition to the next section?

4. 1:56 not sure about the chord progressions here, was really just trying to find a way to get to 2:04

SGordB

This could sound really sweet with traditional Scottish/Celtic percussion and pipes (e.g., bagpipe drone, Uilleann pipes for melodies) -- and keep the nicely jazz-flavoured piano.

OP
Duncan Formosa

Duncan Formosa

This could sound really sweet with traditional Scottish/Celtic percussion and pipes (e.g., bagpipe drone, Uilleann pipes for melodies) -- and keep the nicely jazz-flavoured piano.
The plan is to have double bass, fiddle, flute/whitle, accordion, guitar, and piano. Those one's I'm pretty certain I'll use, I'm still a little on the fence about the pipes though. I like bagpipes and uilleann pipes but I think the fiddle and flute would work a little better for this piece. Unless I save them for after 2:12?

Stringtree

The drone is a feature of the bagpipes, and your tune sounds convincingly Scottish. It should, after all.

Can you stretch a 10th with your left hand? My bass parts opened up a lot and became more fun and flexible when I started widening the intervals. They also did things that leapt from the piano to other instruments nicely.

Instead of fifths and octaves, your brain can reel out some inversions and maybe inspire you to groove further on this good idea of yours.

I'm happy to take a listen and throw in my thoughts. You may want to focus on the drone feel.

Hey, what's that Scottish snare drum called that plays with pipes? So dry and snappy. It raises my hair up every time.

Top Bottom