What's new

Snowflakes [mostly BBCSO]

gtrwll

Here's a track that I composed to try how the BBC Symphony Orchestra blends with some other sample libraries that I own and use frequently. Piano and choir added from other libraries, everything else is BBCSO. Little EQ, little limiting, added some reverb. Mix1 and Fl. Spill mics on everything, strings have also leader mics added.

Sample libraries used:
Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra
Native Instruments The Grandeur
Soundiron Olympus Elements

Thank you Paul! Yes, I definitely enjoy working with it. As a Windows user the start was bumpy, but it seems they've got it under control now.

The thing that's helping me the most is that I don't have to worry about the mix that much anymore, and I can concentrate on improving my composition and orchestration skills. I'm originally a metal guitarist and I have no formal training in music, so every little thing that helps on the process is welcome :)

I enjoy versatility. Made me listen with intrigue. Have you used the guitar to compose any of this piece?

I enjoy versatility. Made me listen with intrigue. Have you used the guitar to compose any of this piece?

Thanks! This piece was done with a keyboard, which I use to compose but would never be able to perform with :grin:

Same as me, but my guitar serves as a reference to visualizing chords, intervals and musical theory.

Same as me, but my guitar serves as a reference to visualizing chords, intervals and musical theory.

I hear you. I have memorized the key signatures on my guitar, so it's still a reference I use in my mind.

Nice melody. Great arrangement. Kept my interest up to the end. The only portion I liked less was the percussion. It might be too loud.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liked it! I've done a fair share of epic orchestral music in the past few years, so the loud percussion might be a remnant from those projects. I'll have to give it a critical listen so I'll get the levels more balanced in future projects!

Great little piece. I particularly enjoyed the strings and melody in the last minute or so. I'm kicking myself for getting Albion One instead of going ahead and grabbing BBCSO (new to this, thought A1 was a safe bet from what I read, but who can tolerate combined woodwinds?). That'll just have to wait I guess.

Again, very nice work.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! Albion ONE isn't bad per se, just a bit overhyped I think. A good and fast sketching tool that I have also found many uses when layering stuff. That being said, BBCSO is indeed a completely different beast.

Top Bottom