Snake Fever - Jazzy Big Band Cover

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Daniel James, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Daniel James

Daniel James Senior Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Hey guys,

Been trying out Glory Days and Swing a bit more on a project I am doing for a friend. Got inspired to use my new found intrigue with the style and decided to cover one of my favourite songs ever Snake Eater. I went with the flow and this is what felt good :)

-DJ

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    Yes mate. Dripping with imagination and style. Love it, especially the swoopy "bond" style strings following the melody. How'd you get the vocal FX?

3. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    Vocal Synth 2 from Izotope! Its amazing, the sound I got was so alien and otherworldly, fit the vibe in my head haha.

-DJ

Alex Fraser likes this.
  4. artomatic

artomatic I Compose With My Ears

Aug 27, 2016
    I was wondering if you were demoing this tune for the next Bond film...
    Maybe I should start using Glory Days. Been sitting on my SSD.
    Great job, DJ!

5. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Senior Member

Very cool DJ! Never heard anything like it, but I dig it :)

6. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    Yeah its quite the combo huh xD

-DJ

ChrisSiuMusic likes this.
  7. bengoss

bengoss Member

Nov 15, 2018
    New York
    Yes, you are not amazing at this style:)

8. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    Kind of a dick thing to say man, I put that in my original post so that those who thought I wasn't 'doing it right' could read that and move on with their day....Na you know what I take it back, It wasn't my aim to hit a particular style, I think its pretty different and feels like me.

I'm happy with it.

-DJ

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  9. Bassious

Bassious New Member

Feb 2, 2018
  10. blougui

blougui Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Very well done Daniel, interesting combo of this vocal synthetized melodie and the brass arrangements, to say the least. The vocal perfectly seams the arrangements together - on the instrumental one, I have a feeling of a collage here and there, if that makes sense. You're defo on something, there !
    (As an aside and listening with my cans, I would have add a splosh of reverb on the snare, especially at the begining)

11. MrCambiata

MrCambiata Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
  12. TheSigillite

TheSigillite Active Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southern California
    This is great work! Love it and it has a fantastic flow. Who cares about "this style" when you make you sound awesome! Keep it up.

13. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Member

Apr 5, 2018
    Dude, this is pretty sweet! Very well done!

14. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    What do you mean by a collage? and yeah the backing is designed to support the vocal, so there are some places where there are for example french horn holding notes for longer than it feels like it should so that the vocal has some extra weight. You notice some of the more 'midi' things too. All in all though I don't think that matters too much. The song is a bit weird in its makeup anyway, a little rough with the aesthetic doesnt bother me too much. Haha they are my 'human' elements. Normally I wouldnt put up an instrumental but I get that this one will take a while to sit with some people because of the joining of so many weird elements, so its just a way for them to check out the brass stuff more clearly :) If they vocal version is sounding fine to you then I am good!!

Thankyou for listening guys!

-DJ

blougui likes this.
  15. rottoy

rottoy Plebeian

May 12, 2013
    John Barry flavours for the Fortnite generation. Terrific stuff!

16. OP
    OP
    Daniel James

Jan 9, 2008
    Haha all my nephews and nieces are of the Fortnight generation! Would be nice to be the cool uncle AND get them into different styles at the same time :)

-DJ

rottoy likes this.
  17. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

Very nice! Love the Bond feel.

18. Rob

Rob Senior Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Fantastic Daniel!

19. NoamL

NoamL Winter <3

Jul 6, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Garbage meets DaftPunk? :)

20. blougui

blougui Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Yes, sorry for my poor english, I'm french actually : collage is probably not the right word, I meant somthing along the lines of "I can hear the different elements coming from different sources more clearly". It's a bit of a "stripped" version feel for me,a bit like listening with headphones. I've always liked listening to instrumental versions (back from the day when I listened to those PWL lengthy Dead or Alive instrumental remix where you could hear each and every instruments coming back and forth in the arrangements and mix, kind of the magician showing the trick- even if it was another deception in the end) : so much to learn ! So thanx for uploading it :)

Erik