What's new

Smooth jazz/chill out piano.

Rey

hi im looking to make some chill out or smooth jazz like track with piano emphasis in the songs.anyone know or use a certain piano vst that’s suitable for this genre? Or how to tweak so it sounds like a smooth jazz piano-as lead or background rhythm?
Because I notice pianos in those songs sounds slightly different than classical pianos playing.ir I might be wrong?

Any help appreciated thanks!

hi im looking to make some chill out or smooth jazz like track with piano emphasis in the songs.anyone know or use a certain piano vst that’s suitable for this genre? Or how to tweak so it sounds like a smooth jazz piano-as lead or background rhythm?
Because I notice pianos in those songs sounds slightly different than classical pianos playing.ir I might be wrong?

for an up front sound , production voices concert grand or cinepiano, can be very expressive, i just picked up Noir can work in jazz , i find the first 2 i mentioned has better attack , cine piano has extra velocities no other library has, both Production Concert grand (many many ways to taylor sound) Cinepiano also has good presets and both can be sweet, for my taste a piano in jazz need to be up front , if needed to push back it would be my option and not at the mercy of so called close mics

Reactions: Rey

When I think of 'Smooth Jazz' piano, artists like David Benoit and Scott Wilkie come to mind. Scott uses a Yamaha C7 grand in his studio IIRC, and I think uses a Roland RD series DP on stage (maybe controlling Synthogy's Ivory 2.5 American D?). I'd suggest:

– Acoustic Samples Yamaha C7. Check out this review:

– Synthogy's Ivory 2.5 American D

– Production Voices Production Grand 2 (Yamaha C7)

While I'm not really a pianist I do a lot of smooth jazz that lands on the radio and pianists who I hire often ask me what I'm using on my demo tracks.
Thes days I use or tweak Keyscape. I don't love it for scoring (a few patches are ok) but it really fills the SJ vibe well and the electric piano's are great too. I also think the rhodes from Gospel Musicians is really good and would be great for "Chill".

I'm just reviewing NI NOIRE right now and I really like it for mellow and cinematic pieces. Here's a short demo I recorded with the NOIRE felt piano patch:

But my go to piano for jazz / solo piano is Best Service Vintage D. In my opinion it's more flexible and I can cover different styles (dark, brilliant, soft, punchy...... pop, jazz, rock, ambient, classic) with it. And I love its dynamics.

Keyscape of course has great dynamics too and it quite flexible. But I think it's only worth the price if you can make use of the whole bundle (rhodes, wurli, clavinet, MKS-20, celesta, toy piano, chimeaton and the other vintage keyboards).

Last edited:
I'm just reviewing NI NOIRE right now and I really like it for mellow and cinematic pieces. Here's a short demo I recorded with the NOIRE felt piano patch:

But my go to piano for jazz / solo piano is Best Service Vintage D. In my opinion it's more flexible and I can cover different styles (dark, brilliant, soft, punchy...... pop, jazz, rock, ambient, classic) with it. And I love its dynamics.

Keyscape of course has great dynamics too and it quite flexible. But I think it's only worth the price if you can make use of the whole bundle (rhodes, wurli, clavinet, MKS-20, celesta, toy piano, chimeaton and the other vintage keyboards).

enjoying Noir also , tweaked, i added my eq to boost freq 850 and 8000 pleased with results, library is up there with my favorites

I don't own it but from the demos I've heard on the Synthogy website it sounds like a good choice. Pity you can't buy it separately from their Steinway B Grand.
Baffles me why they don't sell those pianos individually, brings more sales for them for starters!

Just had another thought about a suitable sampled piano for Smooth Jazz: Fluffy Audio's Scoring Piano. It has 3 mic perspectives, and a very well thought out range of controls. It defaults to a fairly mellow tone, but there's a lot of dynamics available in the sampling & scripting, so it can really open up and sound bright & clear with the inbuilt velocity & dynamic mapping controls. Here's a little sample of me playing it (Close + Mid mics):

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/fluffy-audio-scoring-piano-demo-mp3.19712/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Fluffy Audio Scoring Piano demo.mp3
    674.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Top Bottom