What's new

Smartphone motions as midi controller ?

Harald

Symphonies enthousiast
Hi there,

Some people use leap controller to record midi CC of vstis, it seems possible to do it with a smartphone (with some limits I think) do you know if it already exists ?

I'd like to try it with reaper (but it should work with any DAWs).

Thx

OP
H

Harald

Symphonies enthousiast
What I had in mind was spending no money to have a new midi controller, as almost everyone has a smartphone.
Getting acceleration, orientation, movement from a phone to a computer is easy with the APIs.
It's the next step, form raw data (JSON) to midi output that I wonder how to do.
And latency might be an issue too.
That's why I asked here, I think somebody must have did it already, but maybe not shared.

Basically, I am searching to do like in this vid :

but with a smartphone instead, so everybody could use it :)

Cinebient

Some ios apps using the gyroscope for modulations or even mimic via the camera. They mainly use it for intern usage. Not sure if there is a low latency midi out conversation possible.
However, midi over bluetooth works good and with low latency for me in general.

EgM

Game music!
There's a few of them for iphone, I have a leap controller as well which I don't use much. I've also used a Wii mote (Nintendo) with Osculator for quite a while :)

On iPhone there's this:

Here's a guy demoing it:

Edit:

I've grabbed the app,by default it does CC1 on roll and CC-filter on raise, you can modify those parameters but it's not user friendly... I'll give it another look some other time.

Last edited:

robgb

I was young once
I use TouchOSC and Osculator (the combination makes programming much easier). I'm using two old phones - one for articulation changing and another as a CC X/Y controller, controlling CC1/CC11.

OP
H

Harald

Symphonies enthousiast
I'll take a look on the reaper forum, I may have more success there.
I was sure my idea was already implemented by someone, I'll share any work on it here.

Edit: OK, after some research it seems that 3d tracking of a smartphone (its position in space) is impossible due to the quality of the sensors.
Even Magdwick and Kalman filters have limits.
So it's better to stick to something similar to touchosc solution :/

5€ is maybe too much though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom