What's new

Smaller libraries with niche, odd, strange and unique instruments?

Salohcin894

Alto Clef Enjoyer
Hello all!

I have a bit of money I've put aside and I'm itching for some new cool tools. For reference, I've really enjoyed the Hg2O from spitfire, the clay cuckoo from atom hub, Texture Mozaik from THEPHONOLOOP, and the pan drums from soniccouture. I think my favorite instruments are from Slate + Ash, so I'm eagerly awaiting their next release.

I don't really want to spend a whole ton of money, I'm interested in supporting smaller devs on loot audio. Does anyone have any fun tools or sounds that they've enjoyed? Thanks!

First thing that comes to mind is more Soniccouture. Skiddaw Stones, for example. Second is Rattly And Raw, The Celebrated Fictional Mega Organ Of Steamlord Cornelius for example.

Jade's on sale too, in Western music it can function as a change from the "usual" strings and winds.

There's also the "usual suspects making unusual sounds" approach, for example Westwood's Untamed series.

On Loot I can recommend Ben Osterhouse Sospiro Strings. 25% sale right now and pretty much a “must buy” product. If you’re looking for unique sounds, his Viola da Gamba and English Bass are great too. Maybe also check prices on Plugin Boutique, because his stuff is on there now too & they may still have an introduction offer going on.

Then there’s the modest man in the post above mine, mister @DSmolken also known as Karoryfer Lecolds. He did not mention it, but he too has a sale going on at the moment (not on Loot but on his own website), which offers a terrific selection of samples for ridiculous prices. The Vengeful series is brilliant, the Snowkiss guitar is the best indie guitar sample out there imho, and I am also quite fond of both West African choirs. Unique stuff!

You want unique? Make sure you also check out Bunker Samples’ Off-World Volume 1.

I also wholeheartedly recommend Xsample, mister Hans Josef Winkler, who happens to have some instruments on a 20% sale as well. Tamara! Now there’s a unique vocal library....

On Loot I can recommend Ben Osterhouse Sospiro Strings. 25% sale right now and pretty much a “must buy” product. If you’re looking for unique sounds, his Viola da Gamba and English Bass are great too. Maybe also check prices on Plugin Boutique, because his stuff is on there now too & they may still have an introduction offer going on.

Then there’s the modest man in the post above mine, mister @DSmolken also known as Karoryfer Lecolds. He did not mention it, but he too has a sale going on at the moment (not on Loot but on his own website), which offers a terrific selection of samples for ridiculous prices. The Vengeful series is brilliant, the Snowkiss guitar is the best indie guitar sample out there imho, and I am also quite fond of both West African choirs. Unique stuff!

You want unique? Make sure you also check out Bunker Samples’ Off-World Volume 1.

I also wholeheartedly recommend Xsample, mister Hans Josef Winkler, who happens to have some instruments on a 20% sale as well. Tamara! Now there’s a unique vocal library....
Been eyeing the sospiro strings, as I have his string flow series. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but they sound really nice. You're the second person to say it's a must buy haha. I'll for sure check it out.

I have the bunker sample strings, but didn't realize he had another instrument! I'll have to take a look at snowkiss because I really need a guitar. Thanks!

I think what I'm craving is some off color winds, like a solo recorder or odd horns. I know that organic samples has the majestic horn, but I tend to write more understated things. That being said it's what, 2 euros?

Thanks! I have been eyeing those things for a while, probably time to just pull the trigger.

I'll have to take a look at snowkiss because I really need a guitar. Thanks!

I think what I'm craving is some off color winds, like a solo recorder or odd horns. I know that organic samples has the majestic horn, but I tend to write more understated things. That being said it's what, 2 euros?
Snowkiss, or Glockenskull, are indeed guitars with unusual techniques sampled. Behind the bridge playing, hitting the strings with pencils, that kind of stuff.

As far as winds, very unusual though not deep-sampled, Maleventum! And on the normal instrument but lots of unusual techniques side, XSample's saxes.

The Xsample Contemporary Saxophones are fantastic. One of my current contenders for “best library of 2021” to be honest.

+ 1 for Waverunner Audio's stuff, they've made some of my favorites.

Sonic Zest has a bunch of unique / less sampled instruments for very low prices.

I was gonna recommend Ink Audio but it looks like they removed pretty much all their products from their site :sad:

Lots of very cool stuff mentioned here.

Before you run and pay, I would encourage you to check out some free stuff that are available.

Check out the free Spitfire Labs before I pay for something else. They have so many unique cool stuff there and it's free. Then, check out Pianobook.
They have lots and lots of weird pads and sounds (manipulated sounds, etc...) that is defiantly worth checking out.

A paid thing (also from SA....) is their £29 / $29 / €29 line (Originals + SA Recordings) that have lots of interesting electronic stuff.

+1 for the free ‘Pianobook’ mention.

Cinematique Instruments also has a cool ‘Free Stuff’ section and also connects to ‘Klang’ with some interesting freebies.

+1 on SFA free ‘LABS’ as well.

Also check out ‘Soundiron’ (maybe not considered a small niche company, but their catalogue has tons of small interesting left-field libraries...at pretty low prices too, even when not on sale)

Sound Dust have some lovely quirky things; very imaginative, useful and unique.
It might not be up your street but Straight Ahead Samples have an amazing jazz trumpet, Rebirth of the Trumpet, with a 'look ahead' feature. It chooses which samples to use in your phrases when turned on and turns a good midi trumpet piece into a realistic trumpet piece. Aimed squarely at jazz, funk, pop songs though, although I imagine it could work in other contexts.
I like Loops de la Crème for bits and bobs mostly in the drums and percussion realm.

5Elements by Earthmoments

Embertone Whistler Ensemble

8Dio Catmosphere, Bazantar, Supercluster
Apart from that I absolutely agree to the 5Elements which is just something REALLY special it (look at the infos how this all emerged, the guy behind it, the making of the instruments....) reminds me that the 8dio free stuff is really worth a look too, so many interesting things, if you have some time to explore.......

And supercluster is definitely one of the cheap ones and a really unique one in the 8dio stuff, worth a look.

I think the problem in this "niche" is maybe more a problem of time then of money. Or really knowing what you are looking for. I love the Atom Hub stuff from the beginning, but its so special, maybe would help if you could define "fun tools" a little bit more ?

Sad that you missed the latest sonuscore charity deal, that would have kept you busy for years ;).

But there is so much "fun" out there........ :)

Top Bottom