Slower than expected load to RAM

Fermile

Geffen Studios
Hi,
I'm working with Cubase 9, Windows 10, Have 64GB of RAM, Samsung 960 m.2 SSD (3200 MB/s read) and don't work yet with VEPRO.
I have a big Cubase template that takes around 53GB of RAM - lots of it is kontakt libraries.
When I open the task manager I see only 500 MB/s of loading to memory and not 3.2GB as expected.

Do any of you knows how to boost the loading time ? I believe it might be an OS issue...

Manaberry

3200MB/Read is the sequencial read speed. Usually this is the top speed you can get from Benchmark tools. In a real situation, there is a lot of parameters that make the speed more "realistic" I'd say.

Sometimes I load Kontakt libraries at 1.2 GB/s, sometimes at 50 MB/s, depends of how many files, size of the files and so on.

OP
Fermile

Fermile

Geffen Studios
3200MB/Read is the sequencial read speed. Usually this is the top speed you can get from Benchmark tools. In a real situation, there is a lot of parameters that make the speed more "realistic" I'd say.

Sometimes I load Kontakt libraries at 1.2 GB/s, sometimes at 50 MB/s, depends of how many files, size of the files and so on.
Thanks for the comment. Do you have an m.2 SSD drive as well ?
So I understood loading samples in a parallel way would boost my performances ?
Is there any way to make cubase load multiple kontakt instances this way ?

Manaberry

Thanks for the comment. Do you have an m.2 SSD drive as well ?
So I understood loading samples in a parallel way would boost my performances ?
Is there any way to make cubase load multiple kontakt instances this way ?
I have exactly the same SSD as you and I noticed different read values from it when loading my template (Live 10). For instance, the patch "Time Machine" from Spitfire Symphonic Strings is a real pain to load compare to the regular "Core patch". I assume this is due to the complexity of the patch (files size, etc).

I don't use Cubase as a main DAW so I can't help you on the template side sorry.

I do wait 1-2 minutes when I load my template, and all of my Kontakt instances are purged.
You expected more performance from the SSD or you have some real issues using it?

OP
Fermile

Fermile

Geffen Studios
I have exactly the same SSD as you and I noticed different read values from it when loading my template (Live 10). For instance, the patch "Time Machine" from Spitfire Symphonic Strings is a real pain to load compare to the regular "Core patch". I assume this is due to the complexity of the patch (files size, etc).

I don't use Cubase as a main DAW so I can't help you on the template side sorry.

I do wait 1-2 minutes when I load my template, and all of my Kontakt instances are purged.
You expected more performance from the SSD or you have some real issues using it?
I expected for more acceleration power (fast load), the whole m.2 concept is relatively new but I believe it could be used better when loading samples.
I can't really complain, my big template could be played smoothly almost as soon as Cubase finishes with the initial load (on my previous desktop it took a while for playback to run smoothly). Wanted to know if I could control kontakt in a way to make the libraries load in a parallel way instead of sequential, I think it is the only chance of boosting the load time :)

Do you know of such feature in kontakt ?