Slow, delicate String tremolos. Any advice?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by manuhz, Jan 12, 2019.

1. manuhz

manuhz Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Hi guys, looking around to find a String library wich can achieve slow and delicate sounding tremolos. This is something I can´t find actually in any library on the market.

Correct me please if I'm wrong, but it seems that developers understand "tremolo" as a bunch of spiccato and totally detached notes to play well together on energic or quick action passages. Nothing wrong here, but what I am missing is a sample set wich can give me some control over notes that are connected to each other to play convincing slow tremolos.

Would be very grateful for some advice...

2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    OT Ark2 has fast and slow tremolo. Time Macro has 'very' slow tremolo too.

jamwerks and erica-grace like this.
  3. rottoy

rottoy Goldmember

May 12, 2013
  4. mikeh-375

mikeh-375 old school

Feb 8, 2016
    Earth
    manuhz, consider this a correction...:sneaky:.
    No developer considers trem the way you describe it because you are mistaken. Just google it and look at some vids, far easier than me explaining it. Tremelo refers to the bow action in the main.

5. OP
    OP
    manuhz

manuhz Member

Jul 11, 2016
    @Saxer

Thanks for the advice. I own OT Ark2 and yes, they’re slower than regular, but it’s not delicate enough for that what I’m trying to achieve, something like that, so beautiful played and well defined:

@rottoy

Many thanks as well! Going to take a closer look.

6. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    manuhz

manuhz Member

Jul 11, 2016
    No offense, corrections are welcome as well! Maybe I’m totally wrong about what can described as tremolo or not.

According to that what I believe, how would you describe Desplat’s playing technique used on the posted theme?

8. OP
    OP
    manuhz

manuhz Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Sorry, writing from my phone here...

Another try, Les Minelli from Alexandre Desplat, OST from Toni:

9. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    This are repeated 16th... timed tremolos. Would't call it tremolos. Maybe Fluid Shorts from Performance-Samples? But I don't know if they have the correct lengths... depends on the tempo.

10. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    CSS has measured tremolos... but rather short too

11. brenneisen

brenneisen Member

Feb 23, 2017
    if you really want to call it "tremolo" call it "measured tremolo"

but I think those as "on the string short notes" (staccato)

12. OP
    OP
    manuhz

manuhz Member

Jul 11, 2016
    The measured tremolo patch from CSS works pretty well, but in another context. Compared to, notes are shorter with a more punchier attack.

13. OP
    OP
    manuhz

manuhz Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Not sure about the right name for that playing technique, but I don’t hear any “detached” Staccatos. These notes are connected on each bow direction.

14. DSmolken

DSmolken Senior Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I was gonna make a "slow tremolos are just called quarter notes" joke, but... yeah. It's really rebowing short notes.

Saxer likes this.
  15. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I can't get your example to play, but fast measured tremolo is played more or less the same way as the unmeasured tremolo, it's just done in time. What you are probably wanting is a sound that is even more near the tip of the bow than regular tremolo and played softly. Look for measured tremolo in your string libraries (some have it) or 16th note repetitions (though these often lack lower dynamic layers). You might even be able to get spiccato or staccato patches to do it played at a low velocities to trigger the lowest dynamic layer. You might also try con sord short patches and some of the other shorts to see if you can get close to the sound.

16. erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I really don't think that's what developers think of when they have the players record tremolos.

SFA's UIST has many of these.

17. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I can't get the Desplat video to play.

"Measured Tremolo" is a bit of an oxymoron.

Tremolo is "on the string" so it's not spiccato or staccato or anything. It's just a rapid back and forth, at the tip of the bow if it's soft and more in the middle if it's louder. A "measured tremolo" would be 32nd notes basically, or 64th notes if one wants to get all nerdy. But tremolo isn't a "stroke", it isn't detache or marcato or anything like that. It's tremolo. It means "put bow near tip and do shaky thing".

When playing tremolo, violinists sometimes put their bow hand on their right leg. It's to rest. In a 4 hour Wagner opera, violinists will do it a lot. Why I mention that is it shows that it's not really "controlled" like other bow strokes. A player just does "shaky thing" and since everybody does shaky thing at different timing, it's "tremolo".

LamaRose and jamwerks like this.
  18. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Your best bet might be just using time-machine patches of the terms you can find in SF & OT, and slow them down. I'm still waiting for a dedicated trem & flutter (2 notes) library.

19. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Hard to believe nobody has mentioned Albion 5 Tundra!

In the "Individual Patches" section there are about 16+ long/short patches divided into high and low sections. Every one of them is subtly breathtaking in its own special way with varying degrees of tremelo from the slightest pulsing to quite pronounced. Many those are individually loaded articulations that don't appear in main orchestral keyswitch panels, so you have to dig a bit to find them.

"Col Legno Tratto" is the subtlest of the subtle. Be warned these are all very quiet indeed with built in mechanical bow sounds etc most noticeable on the close mics that actually add an amazing presence to the ensembles. Can post a few chords later in anybody is interested.

20. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Hard to believe nobody has mentioned Albion 5 Tundra!

In the "Individual Patches" section there are about 16+ long/short patches divided into high and low sections. Every one of them is subtly breathtaking in its own special way with varying degrees of tremelo from the slightest pulsing to quite pronounced. Many those are individually loaded articulations that don't appear in main orchestral keyswitch panels, so you have to dig a bit to find them.

"Col Legno Tratto" is the subtlest of the subtle. Be warned these are all very quiet indeed with built in mechanical bow sounds etc most noticeable on the close mics that actually add an amazing presence to the ensembles. Can post a few chords later in anybody is interested.

PS for an fine example of subtle tremelo, you must listen to Sherief Abraham's "Stars and Moon" piece on another thread here.
    https://vi-control.net/community/threads/stars-moon-orchestral.78037/

cug and sostenuto like this.