Size/weight/action improvements since the Yamaha CP-33?

ethanay

I have a (now old) Yamaha CP-33 that I use as a piano as well as a USB controller.

I find the internal sounds sufficient for performance and practice/composition but not recording (I use Pianoteq for that). But I love the action and feel of the keyboard, and its simplicity and durability and its ruggedness and reliability.

I find it is a bit of a beast to move around. And I am downsizing a lot of my gear to streamline and focus as well as move into a smaller space with a dedicated composer's desk that I want to make as compact as is functionally possible.

I'm wondering if it might be worth looking into trading out the CP-33 for a more modern unit that might be lighter, more compact, improved built-in sounds, and comparable if not better key action and feel?

I have no clue where the technology has gone since the CP-33 and would love some pointers. I assume sound engines have continued to improve significantly, but that hammer/key action/feel and overall size/weight/durability seem to be a matter of engineering compromise (e.g., "feel, size/weight, durability - pick any two"). Am I wrong? Are there significant lightweight, rugged, great feeling design improvements out there?

Any thoughts on this are welcome, thank you!

Last edited:

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
It’s tough beating older dedicated hardware but if I were to offer up what you asked for the only options are over priced Nord, or a really decent controller/stage Piano from Casio like the PX-5S.
I have the PX-3S I leave at rehearsals that’s really decent, and the PX-5S is a really significant upgrade.
Only drawback is the butt ugly Blue & White Orca the Whale paint job.
Somebody had too much Sake one night and was obviously the son of the CEO or something. Anyone else would have been fired or demoted to the snack bar for that move....

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Great and it’s skinny and light as a feather.
Has the action of a much heavier board.
Not perfect but I easily hear and feel 5 layers of velocity.
Best board I ever played had 7 layers, the Kawai MP series, and Infinite Response heavy graded keys.

William Palmer

I've worked with a composer/piano virtuoso who swears by how this particular keyboard feels to play. I agree it's pretty bulky around the studio though.