What's new

Singapore, 7PM (Contemplative / Orchestral)

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries

Hi guys, here's my last piece.
It took me months to achieve both because I have very little time for music and also I had to tame new libraries (OT 1st chair) and did LOTS of tries with libs.

It's inspired by a stay in Singapore some years ago (my wife was working there by then).
Maybe it can give you a taste of this amazing place that a total blend of stunning urbanism inside nature, and a blend of traditions coming from India, China, Asia and the western world (UK more specifically).

Enjoy & feel free to comment, give advices on the composition, arrangement, mix and whatsoever.

Ok, now, as usual, technical details about libraries & process.
It's pretty cheap libraries, effects & gear.
- Opening crowd sounds come from the fresh free online BBC recording library
- Keys are mostly Woodchester piano and homemade Virus B "Rhodes-y" patch, recorded live
- Bass & guitars are recorded live in my home studio (Fender Jag bass thru THR10 + Fender Tele thru Koch amp if I remember well)
- Ensemble strings come from Spitfire Sable Ensemble, Spitfire Labs Strings, Spitfire Albion 1, OT Berlin Inspire
- Solo strings from OT 1st chair. Ehru is an Apple loop reworked.
- Solo voice is 8dio Laurie, choir is 8dio Requiem pro
- Woodwinds come from OT Berlin Inspire
- Brass come from Spitfire Albion 1, EWQLSO Gold (I still use it mostly for brass)
- Drums are Logic Boutique 78 & ethnic percussions are Logic Indian + middle eastern kit recorded live
- Orchestral percussions come from Berlin Inspire
- Synths come from Virus B, Alchemy & SH101. Again recorded live
- Chroma percussions come from Logic (Tibetan bowls) + OT Inspire (Glockenspiel) recorded live. Harp is OT Inspire
It's been recorded, arranged, mixed in Logic on a MBPr 15 late 2013
Very few volume automations (but lots of CC) + compression (Klanghelm) + reverbs (Eventide, Valhalla) + Logic EQ (Waves SSL E on drums bus). Ozone 8 elements on master.

And voilà !

col

Maybe it can give you a taste of this amazing place that a total blend of stunning urbanism inside nature, and a blend of traditions coming from India, China, Asia and the western world (UK more specifically).
Job done !
I was back at Gardens by the bay for the whole 4min.

OP
Loïc D

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
Job done !
I was back at Gardens by the bay for the whole 4min.

Thanks, that’s very kind !
Gardens by the bay is pretty amazing place at night.
A huge source of inspiration indeed.

SimonCharlesHanna

Hey! What a fantastic and imaginative track. You have a really unique voice and the mix of instruments is really fresh.

Perhaps the orchestral hit around 3:10 was a bit too cinematic compared to the rest of the piece.

overall it's a fantastic tapestry. Great work! Wish you had more time to write music :)

OP
Loïc D

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
Thanks a lot for your review !!!
Haha, that 3:10 transition is already very tamed compared to previous version.
I think it's a bit rough, not to speak about the weird time signature, but I use it as a very strong contrast to the following part.
So I left it like this. This is the bit of extra unexpected wasabi in the meal haha.

Top Bottom