What's new

Singapore 7PM (2020 reorch)

Loïc D

Monkeying with libraries
Hi everyone !

Lately I've been reworking an old track, to give the orchestration, arrangement and mood I wanted but missed to produce in the original release.

Any comment or feedback is welcome !
(and will be rewarded with a virtual Singapore Sling with the little paper umbrella)

____

And now for some details :
- Mix has been 100% redone, using recent plugins (Bx SSL E, Bx Focusrite, Bx Subsynth, Raum, ProQ3, ProR, Ozone 9, etc.). Bus & aux routing has been redone from scratch.
- A lot of instruments have been added (home made guitars, Strezov Xiao Flute, Drum Fury, JXL Brass, Spitfire Chamber Strings, Pigments 2, etc.). See comments on SoundCloud for more.
- The last part of the bridge has been 100% rewritten and now integrates better with the preceding part. JXL Cimbassi a3 is really badass !

Est. time passed : 15 hours

____

And here's the original post & track :

____

No pangolin was hurt in the process

Hey LowweeK, I like the general mood, yes. But there are a lot of off beat notes, and instruments playing that don't seem to be listening to the beat or following the track's overall feel.

There are plenty of parts with this issue, but the best example is the section starting a few seconds before 3:00. The trumpets and other parts don't gel. They all lack a sense of the build-up of the track, the rythm, and the style the track is written in. It seems like fantasy adventure parts played over some more casual lounge style track, it doesn't work. Sorry to say that, just being honest with my impression.

Thanks for your feedback.
It’s exactly why I’m posting here, since you often miss the obvious when you’re working on something for hours.

The most offbeat part is the lounge keyboard. It’s the only element I left untouched. Since it’s played a lot along the track, I understand it could be disturbing, like flying on its own pace.

All other parts have been reworked, including a tighter quantize, though never 100% (I never quantize hard).

That is clearly something I must improve on. Which is not easy since some libs introduce delay, not to speak about effects.
And my buffer is set at the maximum (256 samples) for my computer to handle the load which makes live playing impossible.

Just to clarify though, it wasn't so much quantize issues, although that is probably there also. It's more some parts I feel are over quantized and are missing a natural feel for the rhythm. They are played too straight, not doing what the listener or a natural player would likely do if playing the track. The piano is like this, yes. Some parts where you'd expect notes to delay so as to add syncopation or rhythm, the player is ignoring the natural feel/swing to the beat.

It's also instrumentation and orchestration that becomes an issue in parts. E.g. A lounge-y feel beat with brass going at it adventure style is going to sound strange, because that kind of orchestration is completely different.

Hope that helps explain what I hear.

Top Bottom