What's new

Simple Sam Steinway

I really like the Walker, but if the lite version doesn't do it for you, I wouldn't recommend the full version. It will sound and feel much the same.

And as SimpleSam says, the Signature Grand is also probably not what you are looking for if you want a close player or detailed perspective. Neither of the mics will give you that up close feel.

It does have a fantastic classical sound, but more as a "I'm sitting in the same room" feel. You can change it to sound reasonably close and have more of a player perspective, but you don't ever get the full detail a close miced piano will give.

A good comparison is, like I say in my comparison above on the Due Pianos -- they are a lot more detailed than the Signature Grand (due to closer micing), but I wouldn't call them fully close sounding pianos either.

Hope that helps.

@CGR may be able to suggest some. Craig knows pretty much everything about VI pianos. He's always the one to blame for the rest of us splashing our cash on them. :laugh:

Your posts led me to this afternoon's @ Simeon Livestream, whch tied together nicely !
Set expectations properly for salient mic perpectives and room sound. Downloading now and looking forward. THX !

I'm having trouble installing this library! When I initially extracted everything, the library looked messed up, and I still can't get it to sound right. Could someone help me out, how to properly install this library?

I used 7Zip to Extract the files.
Install 1.png
Select the first zip file and extract it, it should emerge all of the other zip parts and create a single folder.
Install 2.png

When you open Kontakt look for the Signature Grand Instrument folder and you can drag the NKI to load it.

Instsall 3.png

Hope that helps?

Sorry for your trouble getting the library running. Here's the installation overview:

1) Make sure you have all 5 parts downloaded correctly
2) You might need a free program to extract a mult-part Zip file. We recommend Keka (for Mac) or 7-Zip for Windows
3) Click on the first download file and everything should extract into a single folder "SSS Signature Grand"
4) Within Kontakt, under the "Files" tab, navigate to the “SSS Signature Grand” folder and open the "Signature Grand.nki" instrument patch found within the “Instruments” folder

I hope this helps!

Sorry for your trouble getting the library running. Here's the installation overview:

1) Make sure you have all 5 parts downloaded correctly
2) You might need a free program to extract a mult-part Zip file. We recommend Keka (for Mac) or 7-Zip for Windows
3) Click on the first download file and everything should extract into a single folder "SSS Signature Grand"
4) Within Kontakt, under the "Files" tab, navigate to the “SSS Signature Grand” folder and open the "Signature Grand.nki" instrument patch found within the “Instruments” folder

I hope this helps!
Thank you, it's all working fine now! I also got your mail, really appreciate the help :)

Hello, first time posting here.
I'm intrested in this piano, but I don't really know if it is the right one for me; I'm looking for a good Steinway for practising and playing mostly classical pieces (still at an intermediate level :grin:).

Right now my go to piano is NI The Grandeur which I love, but I guess it is a bit outdated. I have the Garritan CFX Lite, and I kinda like it for some pieces, but I like more the Steinway sound.
I also purchased the Embertone Walker Lite some time ago, with great expectations, but sadly I don't like it, mostly for the really limited dynamic range.

I listened to all the demos of this piano but I'm not completly convinced; I like more of a "dry" sound, (even on the Grandeur I set it a bit on dry), is it possible to get something like that fiddling with the settings?
How is the dynamic range on this piano?
Also I'm not an expert and I would like a VST with good presets that don't require hour of trial and error to adjust to my liking, cause I don't think I have the patience for that.

Hoping for some help to decide from you experts :); the price is very tempting...

Hi there! Two things come to mind reading your post - no - three:

1. If you havent already, do try out the Modartt pianoteq demo (a modelled piano). Many feel that modelled is best for 'feeling', while sampled libraries may win on 'sound quality' - of course its all very subjective...

2. Have a good look at your keyboard controller - I updgraded from an unweighted 49 key to a weighted 88 key... amzing difference (not surprisingly).

3. The Simple Sam Steinway is quite lovely - its a great lib and a steal at that price :-D

Spent about 20 minutes talking about how I've been jumping behind the scenes to tweak things, some of the issues with the way gain staging is set up, why you can't just disable the limiter without messing with direct-to-reverb balance, and also a way to bypass all the inserts and send the two mic positions out on different outputs for custom mixing in your DAW.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, thanks so much for taking the time to put this together! Some really good thoughts and suggestions for integration into a future GUI.
As far as gain staging and busses, our design process was to organize much like an analog console.

When I'm working with it myself, if I am playing in a louder style that is hitting the master bus effects too hard, I turn down the microphones. In general that would be my advice to users who do not want to dive into the backend. You can simply turn down the close and room microphones much like you would on an analog console.

But totally agree that it would be helpful to have more control over some of those parameters!

When I'm working with it myself, if I am playing in a louder style that is hitting the master bus effects too hard, I turn down the microphones. In general that would be my advice to users who do not want to dive into the backend. You can simply turn down the close and room microphones much like you would on an analog console.

Oh yes, definitely! Wish I had mentioned it in the video, but without digging into it more right now, those knobs are controlling the group volumes, not the busses, correct?

Can't wait to see what the library turns into because, don't get me wrong, I think it's really great already. Hope it wasn't too troublesome to watch me rummage around behind the scenes. 😂

Last edited:
Spent about 20 minutes talking about how I've been jumping behind the scenes to tweak things, some of the issues with the way gain staging is set up, why you can't just disable the limiter without messing with direct-to-reverb balance, and also a way to bypass all the inserts and send the two mic positions out on different outputs for custom mixing in your DAW.

Very interesting and informative video Paul - thanks for posting it - although your desktop pattern is making me feel queasy! :confused:

What a great sampled piano. Here's the first improvised test I played when I loaded it up for the first time:

Thanks for this !! Led to purchase. Using Win10 Pro / Reaper v6.11 and still auditioning all Presets.
When Preset is first selected, Track Audio meter is quiet, as are other Track VSTi. After playing Preset, Track Audio continues to display low-level audio continuously, with small volume oscillation. Happens with many Presets, but need to go back and note which ones do or do not. Have you observed this and determined why Audio does not return to quiet baseline ??

@ Simeon ???

Regards

Thanks for this !! Led to purchase. Using Win10 Pro / Reaper v6.11 and still auditioning all Presets.
When Preset is first selected, Track Audio meter is quiet, as are other Track VSTi. After playing Preset, Track Audio continues to display low-level audio continuously, with small volume oscillation. Happens with many Presets, but need to go back and note which ones do or do not. Have you observed this and determined why Audio does not return to quiet baseline ??

@ Simeon ???

Regards
Hi and thanks for checking out our piano. Some presets have room tone noise turned on, which is what you are seeing on the audio meter. You can turn it on and off under settings. Hope that helps!

Hi there! Two things come to mind reading your post - no - three:

1. If you havent already, do try out the Modartt pianoteq demo (a modelled piano). Many feel that modelled is best for 'feeling', while sampled libraries may win on 'sound quality' - of course its all very subjective...

2. Have a good look at your keyboard controller - I updgraded from an unweighted 49 key to a weighted 88 key... amzing difference (not surprisingly).

3. The Simple Sam Steinway is quite lovely - its a great lib and a steal at that price :-D

Thanks for your opinion!

1. I've already tried pianoteq demo, great playability but sadly I just don't like how it sounds

2. My controller is already a weighted 88 keys, it's a yamaha P45, not the best but I think decent

3. I agree, I like the sound and the easy customization (and the price), but I guess it's not what I looking for right now

Top Bottom