What's new

Similar to Kontakt Distortion?

Does the Kontakt one have any special abilities or sound properties you’re after? It may help others in their search efforts to know what attributes you’re looking for more specifically.

The particular character of the Kontakt distortion is not over exagerrated but adds a bit of harshness and edge -- if only Kontakt could be used as an insert effect itself. It reminds me of a bit crusher to a degree.

The particular character of the Kontakt distortion is not over exagerrated but adds a bit of harshness and edge -- if only Kontakt could be used as an insert effect itself. It reminds me of a bit crusher to a degree.
Maybe try the free Denise Audio bit crusher they just released.

Can anyone recommend a distortion FX plugin or pedal that's close to sounding like the Kontakt distortion FX?
Which distortion FX do you mean, there are a bunch of them in Kontakt. I know a lot of them are also to be found in Guitar Rig or as Native Instruments standalone plugins. If you have Komplete, you might have them already.

Just the bog standard Distortion you get when you pull up the wrench in Kontakt. I hadn't thought to look through Komplete.. there's so much there I forget about stuff.

The Kontakt distortion aliases like a SOB. Part of its character you may be having a time producing is some the harshness aliasing causes. Plugin developers tend to look to reduce aliasing as this can really fog up a mix and make the high end kind of brittle... (I.e. that harshness you like).

I'm basically just saying this is probably why nothing sounds quite the same. Weirdly I like its spitty character once in a while. I'm careful if I use it though because you can see and hear a lot of unpleasant noise in the low it causes (especially with notes in higher registers)... I tend to roll off any low end below the fundamental if I use it as it can add a ton of garbage that winds up masking other instruments.

NI Dirt can get pretty grimy FYI. It has 3 modes and two drives modules you can run in series or parallel. I actually like it quite a lot, even in comparison to fancier stuff I have like the Blackbox... NI Bite can also be uber harsh. It's like a bitcrusher on steroids that can deliver distorion that even trent reznor would be proud of...

Outside of that you might want to demo some stomp box plugins, and /or amp sims. These tend to have more grit to them than the average saturation plugin if you bypass any speaker modeling...

Looks like I've got the beginnings of a list of more listening to do. I will keep an ear out for that aliasing and see if that's a part of it.

Maybe check out the Tube Amp effect in FM8, you can use FM8 as an effect I think. Or ask on the NI forum what would be the closest match.

Top Bottom