Sibelius review...

Discussion in 'NOTATION Speak: Sibelius, Finale & Dorico' started by dodecabilly, Jan 5, 2019.

1. dodecabilly

dodecabilly New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    if you didn’t watch this, I recommend... It’s quite entertaining :D

2. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    ... and true!

dodecabilly likes this.
  3. joebaggan

joebaggan Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Nonsense, just an opinion. I've never had any substantive issues with Sibelius and IMO the design is clear and straightforward, not to mention a fantastic program.

Sears Poncho likes this.
  4. ScoringFilm

ScoringFilm Active Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Great review! If only Avid would watch and take note.

5. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Agreed. The guy takes ridiculous little points and tries to make them all tied\ together while leaving out basic truths like 'the ribbon can be hidden and all the shortcuts from v6 work in 7' etc. I am not a fan of Avid at all, but Sibelius is a great program. I can't recall the last time I had a crash, it's been years.

Anyone who can't figure out "add or remove instruments" is way too stupid to use any notation program. :)

doubleattack likes this.
  6. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Sibelius and Band in a Box have the most evil GUIs with the design of a leftover 90s website. It's a nightmare. It's extremely far from intuitive and hurts the eyes. Has nothing to do with the functionality but the learning curve is unnecessary high and strictly avoids fun. You can become an experienced user but there were those using MS-DOS in the 80s too.

Assa and ptram like this.
  7. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Agree with many of the things! Have come to work and know it though. Dorico otoh while completely logical built is hard for me.

8. JT

JT Active Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    I have the same experience with Finale. When I was learning Sibelius, it was completely frustrating for me, nothing made sense about it because I was used to Finale's workflow. I still hate using it, while others have no problems at all with it. Notation programs are very specialized for a small audience. There are many things I'd like to see done differently, but as long as they get the job done and there's competition to encourage improvements, that's all I can hope for.

9. Piotrek K.

Piotrek K. Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Pretty much everything what this guy says was true for me.

Sibelius is huge mess, hides important things under tiny elements, which doesn't even look like may be clickable (no visual feedback at all), confuses with menus within menus, doesn't remember such simple things as export folders. And that plugin thing? Seriously, every submenu needs their own plugins submenu? Who does that? For me it's clearly software from long gone era and if you started Sibelius journey in that era I guess you will be fine (because you got used to it, not because it is smart / good design). But for new users... well, for me it was total, nerve wrecking mess. There are awesome things there, but whenever I try to find anything there, I always end up in Google. Good that they have trial + extended paid trial (subscription I mean;)). Plus time travel as a bonus ;D

On the other hand there is Dorico which works in many ways in similar fashion (playback options), but is modern, looks great and is mostly self explanatory. But yeah, this is just an opinion.

dodecabilly likes this.
  10. Vardaro

Vardaro Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Near Paris, France
    OK, I'm still sticking to Sibelius 6.2. but in Finale 2003, I had to open the manual around 3 times per page: in Sibelius 4, about 3 times a month!

I may be a bit too old to try the Ribbon, though?

Erik and ptram like this.
  11. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    The video refers to the Ribbonized-Sibelius. Sibelius 6.2 is still great. Shame it is slowly dying.

Paolo

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  12. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I can't stand numerous things about the Sibelius GUI, thanks for the well thought through video. Avid will never get my subscription for it unless its completely redone, which is unlikely. and by the way, their subscription model is a turn off too.

13. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I hated the ribbon when it came out, now I like it quite a bit. I also hide it frequently for more screen space.

The program has come a long way since 6.2. At times it's hard to see that since progress can be slow, but the little features add up. Sliding notes left or right is one I use constantly. Smart Rests in multiple voices is an excellent feature as well. Little ones like "magnetic gliss" might not seem like much but it's nice. Things like "sticky tuplets" can be helpful. Mp3 export is a timesaver. On and on.

I don't have the latest version with the multi-edit stuff, I think I have 8.6 so I miss out on that. Like many, I don't like Avid's pricing and as a longtime user I'm not about to shell out $300 more bucks. I got back to v3 and I've upgraded to 5, 6, 7, 7.5, 8. And now they want 300 bucks more. Not a chance. If I need to I will upgrade in 3 years.

14. resound

resound Senior Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally agree with this video. I still use Sibelius 6 because the ribbon sucks. It was designed for people who point and click, not professionals who need to work fast. There are some nice new features in Sib Ultimate, but they still haven't fixed simple things like ties that hang over repeat bar lines! Or proper default note grouping for long notes in 5/4, 7/4, etc. I could go on....

ptram likes this.
  15. Sami

Sami The Undisclosing

Jul 23, 2017
    Undisclosed
    Sibelius is the worst software I use by a truly great margin and I totally agree with the video, although not with all the points he makes. Unfortunately, it's the best we have. If I had time, I'd switch to Dorico.

16. Bassious

Bassious New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    My two cents: i was looking for transcription software too. I have been back woodshedding piano and composition/theory. I bumbled with cubase score for a while and spent a lot of time reading through vi control. I had seen the yt vid posted and laughed all the way through. I was considering notion seriously but started warching Adam Neely on yt. He referred to using Sibelius a number of times.
    What did it for me was the monthly subscription (no huge comittment) and some good-ish tutorials on macpro and groove3.
    I took the dive and its ok. A learning curve but not too painful. Like any software its time invested and finding your own workflow. But the vid is hilarious

17. cmillar

cmillar Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    C'mon....Sibelius just works....it does the job fine.

If anything, Finale seems like a dinosaur (for the average composer who just needs to print their own scores and parts.)