What's new

Show us your music - get 40% Coupon

Thought I should get in on this, since I bought Fragments specifically to participate. These are some great sounds, Paul!

Hey,

I really love your track, there's a cool tension to it. Has a beautiful dirtyness to it and I truly dig the drum flams hehe. Nice job mate ;)

Paul

Well, if it's a little over I won't complain either, but of course it'd be cool to stick to the schedule I set :)
But anyways looking forward to what you're creating.

Paul

When I discovered the swelling, yesterday, the left-side of the trackpad was extremely hot (Much more than the right-side). The trackpad seemed bloated and couldn't be physically clicked. This morning, the swelling had lessened, and once again the clicks were working, so I thought I might be able to finish the project in short bursts. Unfortunately, within about twenty minutes of usage it had once again started swelling badly.

I thought that the battery would arrive on Tuesday, and I could've probably got it replaced by the end of Wednesday. In that case, I might have asked for a one day extension (till the end of Oct. 1st). As it is, it won't work out that way.

At least, if it has a bit more time in repairs then I might get them to give it a full internal clean and replace all the thermal paste. After eight years I'm sure there isn't a trace of that remaining.

Anyway, I am just gonna bow out of the actual competition part of this. There was certainly enough time to get it all together, so that's on me. Here is an idea I started quite early on. I abandoned it because I just wasn't 'feeling it'. This is not in any way an entry. Just thought I'd indulge your curiosity. I'll delete it once you've heard it:

And once i get the laptop back, I'll get back to the current project. If the thread remains open, I'll upload it for you to have a listen :D

Hey,

I really love your track, there's a cool tension to it. Has a beautiful dirtyness to it and I truly dig the drum flams hehe. Nice job mate ;)

Paul
Thanks for the kind words! I was aiming for both of those outcomes, so I’m glad they came through.

Here is an idea I started quite early on. I abandoned it because I just wasn't 'feeling it'. This is not in any way an entry. Just thought I'd indulge your curiosity. I'll delete it once you've heard it:

I really like your abandoned idea, and hope you don't mind, but reading about all your laptop troubles I was inspired to develop it further. Hope you like it! (All using SAS libraries of course!)

Last edited:
I really like your abandoned idea, and hope you don't mind, but reading about all your laptop troubles I was inspired to develop it further. Hope you like it! (All using SAS libraries of course!)

Great job!!

You managed to elevate the idea in a way that i don't think I would've thought to do. I was locked into the idea of trying to make a dirty, wobbly, VHS-like John Carpenter thing. Even with just those two tracks (Percussion & High-passed bass), things were starting to get a bit unwieldly...effects-wise.

Anyway, by the time I'd have added more layers, it would've sounded way too messy. You managed to open the sound aperture without losing the dark foundation. And your chord palette was much more interesting than the one I'd got locked into.

If it turns out that the battery change and temperature maintenance cures the crashing problems then I might actually return to the original idea, and see where it leads, using your expansion as inspiration.

Thanks for the unplanned collaboration ;)

Last edited:
Great job!!

You managed to elevate the idea in a way that i don't think I would've thought to do. I was locked into the idea of trying to make a dirty, wobbly, VHS-like John Carpenter thing. Even with just those two tracks (Percussion & High-passed bass), things were starting to get a bit unwieldly...effects-wise.

Anyway, by the time I'd have added more layers, it would've sounded way too messy. You managed to open the sound aperture without losing the dark foundation. And your chord palette was much more interesting than the one I'd got locked into.

If it turns out that the battery change and temperature maintenance cures the crashing problems then I might actually return to the original idea, and see where it leads, using your expansion as inspiration.

Thanks for the unplanned collaboration ;)

Glad you liked it! Funny enough, I actually had in mind the soundtrack to Escape from New York when adding the piano part to the second half of the track so the John Carpenter influence is still there. The sounds definitely lend themselves to that sort of music don't they!

If you do decide to revisit the track, let me know and I'd be happy to send the stems over for you to play with.

When I discovered the swelling, yesterday, the left-side of the trackpad was extremely hot (Much more than the right-side). The trackpad seemed bloated and couldn't be physically clicked. This morning, the swelling had lessened, and once again the clicks were working, so I thought I might be able to finish the project in short bursts. Unfortunately, within about twenty minutes of usage it had once again started swelling badly.

I thought that the battery would arrive on Tuesday, and I could've probably got it replaced by the end of Wednesday. In that case, I might have asked for a one day extension (till the end of Oct. 1st). As it is, it won't work out that way.

At least, if it has a bit more time in repairs then I might get them to give it a full internal clean and replace all the thermal paste. After eight years I'm sure there isn't a trace of that remaining.

Anyway, I am just gonna bow out of the actual competition part of this. There was certainly enough time to get it all together, so that's on me. Here is an idea I started quite early on. I abandoned it because I just wasn't 'feeling it'. This is not in any way an entry. Just thought I'd indulge your curiosity. I'll delete it once you've heard it:

And once i get the laptop back, I'll get back to the current project. If the thread remains open, I'll upload it for you to have a listen :D

I still like how it sounds though, especially dig those cool rhythmic kind of elements that are partially sort of random. Would love to hear what your evolved idea would sound like ;)
Looking forward to that for sure!

Paul

Sounds great, once again. Love it! :D

Glad you liked it! Funny enough, I actually had in mind the soundtrack to Escape from New York when adding the piano part to the second half of the track so the John Carpenter influence is still there. The sounds definitely lend themselves to that sort of music don't they!

If you do decide to revisit the track, let me know and I'd be happy to send the stems over for you to play with.

I don't really know 'Escape from New York', though I'm sure I must've seen it. My JC reference comes mainly from 'Assault On Precinct 13'. I was actually even thinking about lifting the 'Dunn-Dudda-Duh-Dunnnn' bass-line, to follow my chords ;)

But when i heard your version, I got more 'Termiinator' feels...which is great!

While I do like your expansion/interpretation enough to just let it be, I'd be interested to see what I might be able to make from the two sources. You've definitely provided more musical interest. Maybe I can drag it back into somewhat darker territory.

So, yeah. Thanks for the offer. Might be asking you for the stems, after all :D

I still like how it sounds though, especially dig those cool rhythmic kind of elements that are partially sort of random. Would love to hear what your evolved idea would sound like ;)
Looking forward to that for sure!

Paul

Thanks! Once I got distance from the idea, for a few weeks, I enjoyed listening to it. Looks like I will get back to it, at some point. However, I'll probably first finish the more recent piece that I was working on.

Just got to wait on the computer situation to be sorted.

Thanks!

Hey friends,

a little time has passed and I really want to say thank you to all participants and as promised here's the surprise for all the submitters.

All of you will get our upcoming library Forgotten Planets completely free of charge right when it comes out. It's still a few months from completion, but it's quite a big product compared to my/our other libraries to date. (Soundwise it is a toolkit including Atmopsheres, Pads, Textures, Keys, Percussion, Effects, Designed Metals, Impacts, Hybrid Sounds and much more. All more or less with a Space Vibe). I will send out the links manually so no need to reach out once it is released ;)

All the Best

Paul

Hey friends,

a little time has passed and I really want to say thank you to all participants and as promised here's the surprise for all the submitters.

All of you will get our upcoming library Forgotten Planets completely free of charge right when it comes out. It's still a few months from completion, but it's quite a big product compared to my/our other libraries to date. (Soundwise it is a toolkit including Atmopsheres, Pads, Textures, Keys, Percussion, Effects, Designed Metals, Impacts, Hybrid Sounds and much more. All more or less with a Space Vibe). I will send out the links manually so no need to reach out once it is released ;)

All the Best

Paul

Congrats, everyone! Will set aside some time to listen to all the tracks.

Hey friends,

All the Best

Paul
Wow, thanks Paul! That's super-exciting. Especially after we've all spent a month getting ever more hooked on the SAS vibe ;).

Top Bottom