What's new

Show us what you've written with your new libraries

Mornats

Hobbyist
I hope this is the most appropriate forum for this. There are loads of long threads about what we've bought or considered buying in the Black Friday and Christmas sales. So I thought it would be great to hear all the new music that's will appear as a result

Post what you've written with your libraries but also tell us why they inspired you to write the piece (if they did indeed inspire you).

I completed my Spitfire Studio Orchestra (core version) in the Christmas sale but I've not finished the piece I've started yet so unfortunately I can't go first.

I completed my Spitfire Studio Orchestra (core version) in the Christmas sale but I've not finished the piece I've started yet so unfortunately I can't go first.

@Mornats haha this thread may be just a little early as your example really should have been first. even if you did not finish you should have led the way.

Dont want to hear excuses :rofl:

I bought Spitfire's Paul's Christmas Hamper, comprising Alternative Solo Strings, Ricotti mallets, Glass & Steel and Kit Bag flutes vol. 1. I also got Intimiate Studio Strings by 8Dio. I practiced on a pop song you'll easily recognise :)

I heard the song in the tramway on my way home before a session with the new toys and felt inspired. The sole purpose of the exercise was to try the libraries in an already established musical context, and the arrangement still needs some work.

Intimate Studio Strings provides the (very) short notes and legato strings, the latter being my main reason to buy the library in the first place.
I used ASS' Alternative Longs (very interesting!), spiccatos and dig spiccatos.
I used the shakuhachi and ocarina Artisan Long, for some very useful idiomatic and realistic textures. i don't like working with phrases, this is a great compromise for me.
I used one of the rythmic patch of Glass & Steel, because it was the easiest way for me to add the library to the party.
I finally added a hint of marimba and glockenspiel from Ricotti, not the dryest sound, but works okay!

All in all, lots of potential in these new libraries of mine. A bit underwhelmed by ISS, but I simply need to accept that it just won't do some things, and I can start writing to the samples.

Holp this helps :)

Attachments

• Strings & Co Smooth.mp3
    3 MB · Views: 136
I bought Spitfire Solo Strings over Christmas and also Ólafur Arnold’s Chamber Evolutions. I came up with this short piece while experimenting with them to learn them. It’s simple, but I think works well. Sounds are all from Spitfire, also including LABs and Spitfire Percussion.

Ok, so I forgot that I'd actually finished a track using some of my goodies! This one features Spitfire Studio Strings, Spitfire Studio Woodwinds, Sonospheres 3 (really liking that) and an old favourite of mine, Sound Dust's Plastic Ghost Piano (which isn't new but suited the track really well).

Loving the contributions so far. There's some very lovely pieces here.

It already has it's own thread, but it's quite appropriate for here. I just wrote that using almost exclusively libraries I bought during Black Friday (Spitfire Chamber Strings, Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds, Taiko Creator) as well as Junkie XL Brass. You will also hear some processed Monark synth and a tiny bit of Spitfire Symphonic Percussion which I already owned. I tried to go for some less usual sounds, I don't know how well it works (could use some more mixing), but it was so much fun to write!

Last edited:
Had the pleasure of trying out Fluffy Audio's Dominus Pro:

Comes in just after 1min. (Forgive the shameless plug for the Celestial Guitar demo this is written for! Also includes an early version of WA Trumpets sitting in there).

Strings are Hollywood Strings layered with Venice Modern Strings, Storm Drum 2 with Spitfire Perc, WA Solo Voice: Kat, WA Brass with Hollywood Brass, Orchestral Tools' Berlin Woodwinds doing a little layering.

Had the pleasure of trying out Fluffy Audio's Dominus Pro:

Comes in just after 1min. (Forgive the shameless plug for the Celestial Guitar demo this is written for! Also includes an early version of WA Trumpets sitting in there).

Strings are Hollywood Strings layered with Venice Modern Strings, Storm Drum 2 with Spitfire Perc, WA Solo Voice: Kat, WA Brass with Hollywood Brass, Orchestral Tools' Berlin Woodwinds doing a little layering.

This sounds great! Makes me want to check Celestial Guitars. It also makes me want to buy a new HDD enclosure for an EastWest hardrive I haven't been able to use for 6-7 years at least. It has Storm Drum 2 on it and I forgot how good it can sound!

This sounds great! Makes me want to check Celestial Guitars. It also makes me want to buy a new HDD enclosure for an EastWest hardrive I haven't been able to use for 6-7 years at least. It has Storm Drum 2 on it and I forgot how good it can sound!

If you've Storm Drum 2 around I definitely recommend dusting it off, some solid stuff there!

I'm starting to use Joshua Bell Essential violin - a holiday purchase. I'm impressed with its realism and how it cuts through a busy string battery of SCS and SSS in the clip below. The solo cello is Fluffy Audio .. I haven't yet cracked open Tina Guo, which I bought at the same time.

This is an unfinished movement for a future concert piece - it's raw straight out of Sibelius.

Last edited:
I got Zebra2 / HZ, and the Soundtoys 5 bundle, which went into this little cyberpunk intro for an artist’s twitch channel.

Top Bottom