What's new

Show us the HW-Synths in your studio

Every synth has its dedicated midi connection and routed audio line ins. (You can imagine how much cables fly around here). It then goes to AD converters that are wired with my server room. So, in my DAW I simply select the preconfigured midi channel in my template and start playing on my master keyboard. That's all. Plays like a soft synth - easy on your CPU with nice analog sound ;)
I barely change knobs on hw side, since I use synths in a different context than others.
This is similar to how mine is set up. Except only the mixing board mains go to a RME. Because of the number of synths and exterior hardware, I use 4 MOTU Midi TimePieces that give me a total of 32 midi in/out. You can network 2 Motu Midi TimePieces for 16, so my PC will "see" that as 2 sets of 16. Obviously, 2 Clockworks. Cubase will "see" it as 32 in/outs.

And since I'm using an old Behringer MX8000 24/48, (don't laugh, it's lasted 20 years and I only use it to monitor mostly synths) 48 channels is enough for everything to be permanently connected. If I feel the Behringer is degrading something, then I can go direct via a patch bay to the RME. Then, yes, my DAW template has a MIDI channel for every hardware piece that accepts midi.

As far as trying to enhance workflow, I feel my bottleneck is with my rack synths. Nord 2, Matrix 1000, EmuMorpheus, TX802, D-550, EnsoniqSQR, Roland SRV-2000 and a KorgMS2000. None of these, with the exception of the Nord, are as immediate as a keyboard synth. I have to open MidiQuest, open the configuration, then browse/edit the library.

I should sell half of this stuff, but I see the ridiculous high prices. Then my brain flips from artist side to investment side.

This is similar to how mine is set up. Except only the mixing board mains go to a RME. Because of the number of synths and exterior hardware, I use 4 MOTU Midi TimePieces that give me a total of 32 midi in/out. You can network 2 Motu Midi TimePieces for 16, so my PC will "see" that as 2 sets of 16. Obviously, 2 Clockworks. Cubase will "see" it as 32 in/outs.

And since I'm using an old Behringer MX8000 24/48, (don't laugh, it's lasted 20 years and I only use it to monitor mostly synths) 48 channels is enough for everything to be permanently connected. If I feel the Behringer is degrading something, then I can go direct via a patch bay to the RME. Then, yes, my DAW template has a MIDI channel for every hardware piece that accepts midi.

As far as trying to enhance workflow, I feel my bottleneck is with my rack synths. Nord 2, Matrix 1000, EmuMorpheus, TX802, D-550, EnsoniqSQR, Roland SRV-2000 and a KorgMS2000. None of these, with the exception of the Nord, are as immediate as a keyboard synth. I have to open MidiQuest, open the configuration, then browse/edit the library.

I should sell half of this stuff, but I see the ridiculous high prices. Then my brain flips from artist side to investment side.
Maaaaaan, I love your collection of synths. I could get lost in your room for days. Unfortunately I came very late to the HW fraction. Probably due to being born in the 80s and growing up with computers and samples. But at one point I couldn't get around true analog gear anymore. And then the fun started.

Actually, I'm using a kind of similar setup to wire things up (well actually brands). I use 2 MOTU Microlites to connect all the synths. Behringer synths have MIDI pass through (that helps alot). And the audio comes back to 2 MOTU 8pre (standalone mode) and a RME Multiface. It then goes to my serverroom which has several RME onboard cards like the Raydat, Aio, 9652s and so on.

Maaaaaan, I love your collection of synths. I could get lost in your room for days.
Thanks. I still get lost on occasion.

As far as the MOTU gear, around 20 years ago...maybe more...my Sweetwater rep just said get a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV. I did not know if MOTU had alternatives or better for what I needed. Eventually, I needed a second Midi Timepiece, and learned that I could network an old AV Timepiece which is really inexpensive with a USB Timepiece to keep costs lower. So many MOTU models have been released since then, maybe I should have switched to something else, but I have never bothered LOL. 4 of them is enough!

Reactions: AR
A bit of an old photo (I've moved to the Softube Console 1 fader as well now) but this shows some of my hardware synths.

From L-R: Nord Electro 5D, Yamaha Motif 6, Waldorf Blofeld, Behringer Model D, DSI Prophet 08, Yamaha XS Rack, Korg TR rack.

IMG_0881.jpg

Other items not shown include a Yamaha DX7, Roland JX3P, Roland Fantom XA, Roland XP30.

A bit of an old photo (I've moved to the Softube Console 1 fader as well now) but this shows some of my hardware synths.

From L-R: Nord Electro 5D, Yamaha Motif 6, Waldorf Blofeld, Behringer Model D, DSI Prophet 08, Yamaha XS Rack, Korg TR rack.

IMG_0881.jpg

Other items not shown include a Yamaha DX7, Roland JX3P, Roland Fantom XA, Roland XP30.
Very nice collection. I see a Korg TR-Rack, I used to own one long time ago, loved the sounds of this unit, but editing it was horrible. Maybe they have a VST-Editor for it now. I also see a Prophet 08 Rack, I have the Prophet 08 PE Keyboard, and it is one of the warmest sounding analog synths I have used.

Thanks for sharing your Studio HW-Synths.

I owned a six voice OBXa in 1997, which I paid $400 for and was always sorta miffed it did not have Midi. I remember many happy playing sessions, but sold it a few years later. That unison hard-sync sound was something else!

Hardware…

Attachments

• 921C4126-82C6-49AE-9C83-EE5FBD58C9B9.jpeg
    921C4126-82C6-49AE-9C83-EE5FBD58C9B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 452
  • FE0493E8-6929-4E98-B5C4-405F1AF726F9.jpeg
    FE0493E8-6929-4E98-B5C4-405F1AF726F9.jpeg
    909.5 KB · Views: 444
  • 5D2067C9-63DB-449C-BE0E-25E2E7822BA4.jpeg
    5D2067C9-63DB-449C-BE0E-25E2E7822BA4.jpeg
    792.7 KB · Views: 463
  • 0A50112E-DBDF-4EC8-B990-00FEC2EF1F2C.jpeg
    0A50112E-DBDF-4EC8-B990-00FEC2EF1F2C.jpeg
    712.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 73214271-A947-4B49-B989-941BA4D593F1.jpeg
    73214271-A947-4B49-B989-941BA4D593F1.jpeg
    957.9 KB · Views: 463
  • 4677FD99-B9EE-4C36-8D0A-7FE36A152AAD.jpeg
    4677FD99-B9EE-4C36-8D0A-7FE36A152AAD.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 447
Hi,

I'm loving the sound of the D-Dream MK2. It's the type of analog sound I was missing in the studio, and always wanted to produce. Having said that, I had ordered a ROLI Seaboard 2 I think back in March this year, it is expected to be delivered during Nov. this year, which I'm very much looking forward to, especially to use it to play the D-Dream MK2 in MPE mode. This will give me more expressive possibilities, compared to just using channel aftertouch.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

CS-80, OB, Mini (Moog).
Nice, once you've had some time with your Deckard's Dream, it'd be great to hear your thoughts comparing the Code 8 CS-80 filters and the DD.

I have the Studio Electronics Boomstar SE80 Mk2 as well as the DD Mk2 and to me, the Boomstar is way more aggressive than my short experience so far with the DD.

The Code 8 seems like a workhorse, but choosing the additional filters seems like a tough one when you're thinking about gaps in your synthspace.

Nice, once you've had some time with your Deckard's Dream, it'd be great to hear your thoughts comparing the Code 8 CS-80 filters and the DD.

I have the Studio Electronics Boomstar SE80 Mk2 as well as the DD Mk2 and to me, the Boomstar is way more aggressive than my short experience so far with the DD.

The Code 8 seems like a workhorse, but choosing the additional filters seems like a tough one when you're thinking about gaps in your synthspace.
The CODE 8 CS-80 filters are very aggressive as well, quite far from sounding like a real CS-80.

The D-Dream MK2 filters sound super warm, and have that delicate texture that I love, one of the main reasons I got the D-Dream MK2. It surely sounds more like a CS-80. I find the CODE 8 better for Strong Leads, Basses, and unique sound effects, I'm not happy with it for making lush pads, or warm brass sounds.

Another Desk in my Studio :

Those two synths are two of the most underrated and misunderstood of the last decade. They’re also two of the best-sounding synths ever made, IMO.

The System 8 easily replaced all the iconic Roland analogs for me, other than the JX-8P. It’s absolutely stunning and its own native synth engine sounds sublime.

The Prophet Rev2 has a LOT in common with its other Prophet brethren, and a surprising amount of overlap with some Oberheim legends. For some types of sounds, it easily stands next to those, and in many cases, blows past them; It’s a shocking amount of analog synth, let alone for the money! I did a brief comparison of common traits between a few:

Top Bottom