What's new

Show me your desk

I have a friend who bought a Ikea small desk (100 x 40 cm), hight adjustable 2 feet (upsidedown T) and he added some wheels to it. Not the traditional chair wheels but a smaller version of shoppingcart wheels. There are holes in the T feet which suited perfectly. He used fixed wheels, not the rotating kind
but I don't seem to find the correct model anymore. I looks like the Bekant series but smaller.
Sounds perfect if they were still selling that.

Yes I know, I'm thinking about using the same solution for my new 88 keyb I ordered.
The Casio PX-S3000, will fit the tray of my Platform Desk, but with only a few mm to spare
in hight, I'm a little worried. Or I put it on top and move my mixing desk on a side stand or
I build something similar with a desk like that. I already have a similar desk, from IKEA, not Bekant ,for
my daily work but that one is 120 x 60 cm and I would love a 120 x 40 cm maximum. I even
wouldn't add wheels, I have enough depth for leaving the small form keyboard extracted all
the time.

I added a keyboard slider under my desk from CB2. I like having the space on the desktop but I’ll admit I have to keep my office chair lower so my knees can fit haha.

Attachments

• FAA4096F-3966-4A8A-A930-EF16D7D43997.jpeg
    FAA4096F-3966-4A8A-A930-EF16D7D43997.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 28
  • C07894C8-96B0-4A06-A25D-01A0C119A86D.jpeg
    C07894C8-96B0-4A06-A25D-01A0C119A86D.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 28
Is the tray strong enough?
At Output they mention that it is possible to lower the tray, but then only 2 screws are left
at each side... Not my idea of strong. Ah, always searching for a good, reliable system but finding
the perfect one, is not easy.

I was thinking and working on a keyboard solution for a lomg time. The problem is always: either the keyboard is too low if its in a drawer under the desk which causes me posture problems working long times or too high and in the way for other work if its on top of the desk.

So my solution is the attached. I modified an electronic desk stand which can be electronically put up and down. Then I attached aluminium profiles and rolls to it. Now if not in use I can roll it deep u der the desk completely out of the way and when I need the master keyboard I pull it and move it up using the remote.

Last edited:
Has anybody created a custom under desk stand for their keyboard? I have the usual Z one but need something slightly shorter to make the ergonomics work for me. Wondering if I should try to build one or perhaps buy one of those under desk sliding ones (though may not leave much room for knees).
I use a Z Keyboard stand with my SL88 Grand. I wound up buying two pre-fab "shelves" from Home Depot for about $15 total. They were both finished in black. One shelf is 12"x 24". The other is 10"x36". They are attached under the Z stand without any cutting... just drilling the 4x holes to match to the Z-stand machined holes. The 12x24 is sandwiched between the frame and the 10x36. The 10x36 has all four holes. The 12x24 could only fit two holes since I wanted about 5" to 6" of overhang. I was originally going to cut them and mount the shelf on sliders, but I actually like this approach better.

keyboard1.jpg

Nice solution, but a sit/stand desk costs some money, doesn't it?
There exists some computerkeyboard system, which goes under the desk, not on rail but
like with special hinges.
If this would exist for piano key's... would be great.

I was thinking and working on a keyboard solution for a lomg time. The problem is always: either the keyboard is too low if its in a drawer under the desk which causes me posture problems working long times or too high and in the way for other work if its on top of the desk.

So my solution is the attached. I modified an electronic desk stand which can be electronically put up and down. Then I attached aluminium profiles and rolls to it. Now if not in use I can roll it deep u der the desk completely out of the way and when I need the master keyboard I pull it and move it up using the remote.
Missing the attachment?

Yes I know, I'm thinking about using the same solution for my new 88 keyb I ordered.
The Casio PX-S3000, will fit the tray of my Platform Desk, but with only a few mm to spare
in hight, I'm a little worried. Or I put it on top and move my mixing desk on a side stand or
I build something similar with a desk like that. I already have a similar desk, from IKEA, not Bekant ,for
my daily work but that one is 120 x 60 cm and I would love a 120 x 40 cm maximum. I even
wouldn't add wheels, I have enough depth for leaving the small form keyboard extracted all
the time.
I also recently got a Casio piano for the minimal height. I prefer a rolling desk / stand for it because I can push it further back under the desk than a sliding tray would be able to if I attached that under my desk. All this makes me just want to go back to a 61 keyboard on top of the desk behind my keyboard and mouse. Was probably the most ergonomic setup.

I use a Z Keyboard stand with my SL88 Grand. I wound up buying two pre-fab "shelves" from Home Depot for about $15 total. They were both finished in black. One shelf is 12"x 24". The other is 10"x36". They are attached under the Z stand without any cutting... just drilling the 4x holes to match to the Z-stand machined holes. The 12x24 is sandwiched between the frame and the 10x36. The 10x36 has all four holes. The 12x24 could only fit two holes since I wanted about 5" to 6" of overhang. I was originally going to cut them and mount the shelf on sliders, but I actually like this approach better.

keyboard1.jpg
Interesting - any more pics or a link to the “Z stand”?

Is the tray strong enough?
At Output they mention that it is possible to lower the tray, but then only 2 screws are left
at each side... Not my idea of strong. Ah, always searching for a good, reliable system but finding
the perfect one, is not easy.
Eh, it’s strong enough that I haven’t had any issues with it for about 4 years now, but I don’t feel like I should be playing too roughly on it either. I tried to find the beefiest brackets that I could. Let me see if I can dig up where I got them from.

Eh, it’s strong enough that I haven’t had any issues with it for about 4 years now, but I don’t feel like I should be playing too roughly on it either. I tried to find the beefiest brackets that I could. Let me see if I can dig up where I got them from.
Ok looks like the brackets aren’t for sale anymore but I got them on Amazon and the item was called ‘14” keyboard slide - heavy duty steel construction’

Looks like there’s plenty of similar ones on Amazon

Interesting - any more pics or a link to the “Z stand”?
I'll see about uploading some more pics in a bit. The z-stand is justhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089ND6BCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (this basic one from Amazon). Raise it, lower it to the height you need for your chair and the keyboard shelf. But it has those four mounting holes that are required to mount the shelves. Add wheels if you want. My desk is glass and sort of floats above the SL88 Grand so I can see straight through to my fader controllers which are placed directly on the SL88 on the optional magnetic plate accessory. I have my Platform M+ on that and an X-Touch Mini directly on the keyboard. The z-stand kind of turned out to be the best of all worlds. The keyboard is low enough to type but not be in the way. The piano is at a good height, sturdy - low enough to feel right, but not so low that a typing keyboard would not fit below. And most importantly - no uncomfortable reaching to type, or play piano. There is even room for resting your palms while typing. So overall, I am really happy with this. Until now, I had never been satisfied with the typing experience while having an 88 key piano at the desk.

I'll see about uploading some more pics in a bit. The z-stand is justhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089ND6BCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (this basic one from Amazon). Raise it, lower it to the height you need for your chair and the keyboard shelf. But it has those four mounting holes that are required to mount the shelves. Add wheels if you want. My desk is glass and sort of floats above the SL88 Grand so I can see straight through to my fader controllers which are placed directly on the SL88 on the optional magnetic plate accessory. I have my Platform M+ on that and an X-Touch Mini directly on the keyboard. The z-stand kind of turned out to be the best of all worlds. The keyboard is low enough to type but not be in the way. The piano is at a good height, sturdy - low enough to feel right, but not so low that a typing keyboard would not fit below. And most importantly - no uncomfortable reaching to type, or play piano. There is even room for resting your palms while typing. So overall, I am really happy with this. Until now, I had never been satisfied with the typing experience while having an 88 key piano at the desk.
Oh nice - I have the same stand right now that I slide under my desk. It's a bit too tall for what I like, but then the keyboard would likely be too low. It's a tough balance. Honestly, I think something like this is probably best - keeps the keys and desktop at the same height and cleverly, has a cover to extend the desktop over the keys when needed:

I'm now thinking of getting something like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/449987250/custom-keyboard-trayreclaim-wood-desk to attach to the bottom of my sit/stand desk which should give me the most flexibility for positioning both the desktop and the keyboard as needed.

Last edited:

This is a really smart idea. I took my tray off because I kept banging my damn knees on it. Right now I have it on a roll away stand but when I'm in the standing position on my desk, I can't play. This would be a good remedy to that situation. Which legs did you end up going with?

Its this one:Amazon product ASIN B082LKRC47
Then I cut out a wood plate for the top which it easily attachable by screwing in with m3 or m4 wood screws.

I put a cut so I have max leg freedom when I sit at the keyboard.

Works great. Not cheap but a long term investment as I sit at that desk every day.

Its this one:Amazon product ASIN B082LKRC47
Then I cut out a wood plate for the top which it easily attachable by screwing in with m3 or m4 wood screws.

I put a cut so I have max leg freedom when I sit at the keyboard.

Works great. Not cheap but a long term investment as I sit at that desk every day.
This is what I use. Half the price. Not quite as deluxe looking but can go down to 23.5" if you want that.
I have a Doepfer LMK2+ resting on it. On top of the keyboard there's a custom cut piece of glass that's 15"x60" with a cutout for the keys area. The glass top has room for two MIDI controllers, a Roli Seaboard 49, a Kii Three BXT monitor controller, and various environmental controls.

The K&M stand was $200 and the cut glass was $125.

Last week the guy who owns the biggest studio in the state with 2 vintage Neves and 3 wall to wall SSL's was in the room raving about how sleek and ergonomic my keyboard setup is.

I'm contemplating trying to build myself a custom under-the-desk keyboard stand out of 2x4s (maybe 1x4 will be enough?). I know nothing about carpentry so not sure if it will be enough to hold the keyboard or if it'll work, but thinking something like this (with casters underneath).

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 5.48.31 PM.png

Top Bottom