What's new

Show me your desk

Nice! So you're using the Wacom instead of a mouse? How long have you been doing this and how do you find it?
Thank you ! I've been using a Wacom since 2015 or 2016, and never looked back. No wrist pain and all the buttons, sliders and radial menus make it a workflow heaven. It is super fast. With this and the Streamdeck, I barely touch the keyboard as well :)

Last edited:
This looks good.
Some acoustic treatment and a real leslie!
Saw the last one quiet some time ago 👍

Nice desk, seems the tray is just big enough for all 88 keys out there?
Yes, but I did reduce the height of the tray area to make it more comfortable for legs underneath. So, not all keyboards will fit in that dimension. I currently use the SL88 Grand and it fits perfectly. The Nords will also fit well.

Thanks !
It is this one I would love. This week, I will be able to compare the Grand and the Studio versions
to see which one i'll buy. I think the Grand will be the closest to my former Kawai CA piano.
The NI88 did not feel as good to my taste, but I already mentioned that here, somewhere.

I´ve tried to simplify things, and go for the most essential elements. As Im only doing this for fun and as counter weight to my work as copywriter I can adjust it to my kind of "Slowfood" view of creating music. Along with this setup there is a wall of guitars and amplifiers in the same well isolated studio room. IMG_7203.jpg
Top Notch!

Any ideas how I can have two side monitors while not destroying my stereo image?
Maybe when shifting the speakers downwards? Or does tilting the side monitors, so they're not standing at 90° with the desk already do enough?
Thanks!

Your rooms looks amazing guys. I wish my also sounded good, so could you please recommend any forum or guide me which vi-control topic would be appropriate to ask questions about my room acoustics? I measured its dimension, experimented with speakers placement etc. but looking for some advice.

Your rooms looks amazing guys. I wish my also sounded good, so could you please recommend any forum or guide me which vi-control topic would be appropriate to ask questions about my room acoustics? I measured its dimension, experimented with speakers placement etc. but looking for some advice.
There are countless threads on the subject here, and on many other forums. Read more than one, read many more than one, because there is some really silly mythology being passed off as fact.

Treating a room is not rocket science, but it isn't simple either, mostly because there are just so many variables.

Instead of the web I would suggest a handful of books, happy to send a list if you are interested.

There are countless threads on the subject here, and on many other forums. Read more than one, read many more than one, because there is some really silly mythology being passed off as fact.

Treating a room is not rocket science, but it isn't simple either, mostly because there are just so many variables.

Instead of the web I would suggest a handful of books, happy to send a list if you are interested.
Thanks for the response. I've studied Electrical Engineering, so I have only little to none knowledge regarding acoustics, but I'm catching up. I don't want to follow any rule that says 'place the bass trap there or there' before understanding WHY it should be 'there'. I've read a lot of threads regarding the topic, but people tend to believe in some rules like 'place the monitors close to the front wall, so you can eliminate comb filtering effect' and others are 'place them as far from the wall as possible, to reduce bass build-up' but cannot prove it with any data. So if you can send me the books list, I would really appreciate that, especially those covering physics aspect of the topic.

I've just moved to a house, old house with thick concrete walls and I'm organizing my little home studio here. It is currently my bedroom as well, but I'm able to move furniture somewhere else. I'm not willing to invest in better monitors or anything until I make the room sound right at first. It will be hard, since dimensions are not the best. I have access to my father's carpentry, a lot of spare wood, lots of mineral wool etc., so any acoustic panels etc will be DIY. Unfortunately, the room is almost a square, with quite low ceiling:
W (1): 3,96m
L (2): 4,09m
H: 2,18m

but I'd like to get the best what's possible there.
1619287857317.png

couple quick thoughts...

no where is it cast in concrete that you can not make a good recording in a square room, or for that matter a small room. Check out pictures of some of the early control rooms - they were tiny!

The best, in terms of recordings that translated well, control room I ever worked in was tiny, with an 8 foot ceiling, and barely room for two people. But recordings made there translated well everywhere. I can't explain it.

With EE you'll have little trouble picking this stuff up. Check out books by Philip Newell, Jeff Cooper, and Michael Rettinger. Also check out all the publications as asc.com, Art Noxon is a very bright guy! If you want to explode your head check out all the publications and books by Dr. Peter D'Antonio. If you can find them, papers by Chips Davis are also excellent.

Of the bunch I think Newell's books are probably the best, at least as a starting point. They are well written, and relatively current. Some of the others are old, they are still applicable!

Have fun - you can do this!!

Bill

Top Bottom