What's new

Show me your desk

Right now simple Ikea corner desk. BUT, I have a dream... one day...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSKSMap--sound-construction-ds-ks-mp-maple-finish

You can order it direct from Sound Construction, their build-to-order website offers additional features such as motorized height adjustment in the legs, different kinds of wood, etc. I absolutely love how the monitor deck is lower, I have an older 30" monitor that's tall and I have to look up to see the upper part of the screen, so I like the bottom edge almost at the surface of the desk. This does that easily.

This isn't going to happen until some sort of music income occurs. I can swing it with my day job but I really need a goal and incentive. Ba da BING, there it is.

Sound Construction
Sound Construction is very very good quality, I highly recommend. They are almost the exact opposite of the Argosy desk in every way (that I hated). Similar price range, too. Obviously on the high side of cost, but I would say you would not regret spending the money if you decide to go for it.

Looks great, but that drink sitting in the middle of your gear is making me nervous, lol.

Who makes this desk? I like the streamlined look of it.
Ah yes, I can't give up my beloved iced coffee. Gotta be careful...

I got it new on Ebay. A guy named Jon Pinos builds them and sells them for...well, I got mine for $550 before he jacked up the price to $850. 550 seemed like a great deal. 850, I'm not so sure... but the desk is great. I have no complaints. The LED lighting is a nice touch.

I got a slide-out desk for my home studio...working pretty well so far! (Not gonna show my whole desk cause it's too messy...) Have it customised on a Chinese website and it's super affordable (less than $300) as well!

Attachments

• 60336793_367102244147871_498419190785376256_n.jpg
    60336793_367102244147871_498419190785376256_n.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 219
Yes. And yet, it's coherent with similar stuff's price in other stores :-/

Yup, it's all kinds of crazy for the price of the niche products. Like most, I have an Ikea desk that serves the exact same function and does it 90% as well as that one does D:

Yup, it's all kinds of crazy for the price of the niche products. Like most, I have an Ikea desk that serves the exact same function and does it 90% as well as that one does D:
I get your point and I might concede to 60% or even 70%. Certainly I agree that you can get a similar-ish product for a fraction of the cost and on a budget it's a great move. But I would not overlook the quality of these Sound Construction desks. They are not comparable to anything I've ever gotten from Ikea in any way, other than they take up a similar amount of space and you can put things on top of them. So if that's what you're after, totally ok.

I get your point and I might concede to 60% or even 70%. Certainly I agree that you can get a similar-ish product for a fraction of the cost and on a budget it's a great move. But I would not overlook the quality of these Sound Construction desks. They are not comparable to anything I've ever gotten from Ikea in any way, other than they take up a similar amount of space and you can put things [on top of them. So if that's what you're after, totally ok.

I suppose you're right. I was kidding because I'd rather put that money in a piece of gear, but of course any kind of furniture can get pretty expensive once you step away from budget stores. I got a $1800 coach twenty years ago (certainly the most expensive piece of furniture I've ever bought!) and it's still in great shape. I don't expect my current makeshift desk to last twenty years, but otoh it cost me peanuts, so it's all a matter of choice.

Also, I was exagerating because exageration is fun.

I just got a heavily customized version of this model:

-> https://www.unterlass.info/EN/products/singledesk-40/

... with *gulp* red side panels! :dancedance:

I'll post some pix as soon as all the acoustics are done, too, by the end of the month. :)

Waw. Captain Kirk on the bridge :2thumbs:

Last edited:
Unfortunately Virtual Instruments magazine was a victim of the simultaneous crashes of niche print publishing and the world over ten years ago.

I'm PM-ing you about the desk. Thanks for your interest.

This looks fantastic, and it's just the kind of thing I was trying to imagine in my head. I wasn't sure whether it would be possible to have everything connected to the sit-stand desk, so that everything goes up and down together, but it looks like you have achieved that? Are your two secondary computer monitors on arms which are connected to the sit-stand desk? I would love to put together something like this - may I ask for some specs for what you have here? The frame, desk top, any other hardware (how did you put together the drawer system for the keyboard?).
Many thanks @stigc56
Sorry for the late reply.
I used a table frame from Fully: Jarvis Frame - Black - Wide - MidRange - Programmable.
The table was made of wood, what we here in Denmark calls MDF 1800 x 1000 x 28 mm.
The 2 ball bearing guides was mounted to the frame with 3 bolts on each side.
Finally the keyboard "drawer" was made of 2 aluminium squares fixed with screws to the bearings. You will also need some kind of stabilisator BETWEEN the 2 squares, on the downside, to keep the keyboard from wobbling when you pull out the drawer. I choose to fix my Yamaha S90es with screws to the two squares. I will supply my drawings in short time.

Top Bottom