What's new

Show me your desk

No blueprint, but take this as an hint:
IMG_20181209_214930.jpg
Totally DIY, cost under 30€...

I learned about ergonomics the hard way, after years of doing things wrong and getting elbow pain and neck pain.

Your QWERTY keyboard and mouse are too high, so if you're doing a lot of typing and mouse work you're in for a world of hurt long term. You're also in for some neck pain if you're staring up at that high monitor a lot.

Look up proper desk ergonomics, level everything out, and you'll thank me later.

I learned about ergonomics the hard way, after years of doing things wrong and getting elbow pain and neck pain.

Your QWERTY keyboard and mouse are too high, so if you're doing a lot of typing and mouse work you're in for a world of hurt long term. You're also in for some neck pain if you're staring up at that high monitor a lot.

Look up proper desk ergonomics, level everything out, and you'll thank me later.

You are right, sometimes I don't feel comfortable when using both the master kbd and the PC kbd, so, while looking for a better positioning, I'm using one at once (luckily the master kbd can control the DAW very well).
For the monitor: for 20 years I had a side monitor, sometimes 2 side monitors, but I got more neck problems then now. I work about 14 hrs/day on PC (apart of music, I'm a programmer) and I'm feeling better with this solution.
Moreover there is the chair: I'm surprised you didn't noticed it :)
I've tried every type of office/studio/startrek chair, but my back seems to need this kind of chair.

Two years ago I wanted to upgrade my desk (literally just a desk) so I bought (broken link removed)

Spent a whole day(!) putting it together and patching everything and also cleaning and making order in all the cables around. Sat at the new desk with the computer keyboard on the bottom shelf and look up at the screen and could immediately feel the pain.

Had to do some light computer work in the evening and my pains grew stronger. Spent the whole next day disassembling and putting it back in the box and asking Thomann to pick it up again.

Upside is I sorted out all my cables and cleaned behind the desk :D

A couple months later I found a standing desk from IKEA and adjust height as necessary.

SzdOKXS.jpg

Put my controller on the desk finally. Far from ideal, but better than it was.

Sorry for the potato quality, will take a better picture later. IMG_20190120_190653.jpg

We have a very similar setup. How are you liking the s88 mk2? Im tempted. I know is not top of the line weighted keys but if its decent yoi can get used to it. Nice monitor as well!

We have a very similar setup. How are you liking the s88 mk2? Im tempted. I know is not top of the line weighted keys but if its decent yoi can get used to it. Nice monitor as well!
It's pretty decent. I'm having a rather hard time getting used to Komplete Kontrol software though, as I prefer to use kontakt instances. But the controls on the MK2 require your using the Kontrol software and load your VIs through that. Perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to it. Having the physical knobs to adjust parameters though is very nice.

Maybe in hindsight I would have gone with the Studiologic SL88, or the Nektar LX88, though sadly that one isn't hammer action. The main reason I bought the S88 MK2 was Komplete integration, but it just feels pretty klunky to me. When you do use Kontrol SW though, having the HW controls are nice. Browsing actual instruments on the LCD screen however, I don't do that often. I'm more in kontakt.

So it's probably worth what they're asking, I just haven't gotten used to the workflow yet. Actions pretty decent. A bit spongy, but heavy feeling to my touch, but definitely workable.

Monitor is the Samsung CF791...love it.

It's pretty decent. I'm having a rather hard time getting used to Komplete Kontrol software though, as I prefer to use kontakt instances. But the controls on the MK2 require your using the Kontrol software and load your VIs through that. Perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to it. Having the physical knobs to adjust parameters though is very nice.
Yes, I rarely use the KK software on my S61 because I find the software so kludgy. But I do map the lights and controls for some of my favorite instruments and save those as a preset to use with Kontakt in standalone or in a DAW. The KK instances can be good starting points for deciding how to map the various controls.

Yes, I rarely use the KK software on my S61 because I find the software so kludgy. But I do map the lights and controls for some of my favorite instruments and save those as a preset to use with Kontakt in standalone or in a DAW. The KK instances can be good starting points for deciding how to map the various controls.
I seriously need to look into that preset mapping, thanks

As the user of extremely generic and relatively inexpensive furniture for my "studio," this thread raises a bigger question for me, which is:

"Are you generally happy with your specialized studio furniture? Or do you feel 'boxed in' by its very particular design. In other words, if you need to change your setup, will your specialized furniture let you do that? Or do you wish you had done the simplest thing that could possibly work?"

I ask because I can see the appeal of the cheap, simple, no-nonsense IKEA setups, as well as the expensive custom-made studio furniture from companies like Sound Construction. They each have their particular advantages and disadvantages.

I just laid a door panel on a pair of height-adjustable trestles, and adjusted the height so that I could work both standing or sitting on a tall chair. Door panels are rigid yet lightweight. Of course that's a lot of reflective surface just before the monitors, so it might not be the best idea from an aecoustics point of view. But it's cheap, super convenient and provides a lot of room for moving your clutter around.

Last edited:
Still tater quality image, sorry.

IMG_20190202_113133.jpg

I did something similar for my RD-2000. I finally gave up trying to have the keyboard under the desk because I could never get things right. Either my knees were hitting or if I raised the desk up on blocks, it was kind of precarious and one step from falling onto my $2500 keyboard.. It's a 125lb, at least, table. What I did was create a shelf at the far end of the table that the RD-2000 can slide under when not in use. I also put the RD-2000 on 4 of those "magic slider" things they sell on the TV infomercials. This makes it easy to slide in and out from it's garage.. I'm tidying up the studio but will post a pic when things are done...

Top Bottom