What's new

Show me your d...esk

Mystic

I was thinking and working on a keyboard solution for a lomg time. The problem is always: either the keyboard is too low if its in a drawer under the desk which causes me posture problems working long times or too high and in the way for other work if its on top of the desk.

So my solution is the attached. I modified an electronic desk stand which can be electronically put up and down. Then I attached aluminium profiles and rolls to it. Now if not in use I can roll it deep u der the desk completely out of the way and when I need the master keyboard I pull it and move it up using the remote.

This is a really smart idea. I took my tray off because I kept banging my damn knees on it. Right now I have it on a roll away stand but when I'm in the standing position on my desk, I can't play. This would be a good remedy to that situation. Which legs did you end up going with?

StefVR

Its this one:
Then I cut out a wood plate for the top which it easily attachable by screwing in with m3 or m4 wood screws.

I put a cut so I have max leg freedom when I sit at the keyboard.

Works great. Not cheap but a long term investment as I sit at that desk every day.

Jack Weaver

Its this one:
Then I cut out a wood plate for the top which it easily attachable by screwing in with m3 or m4 wood screws.

I put a cut so I have max leg freedom when I sit at the keyboard.

Works great. Not cheap but a long term investment as I sit at that desk every day.
This is what I use. Half the price. Not quite as deluxe looking but can go down to 23.5" if you want that.
I have a Doepfer LMK2+ resting on it. On top of the keyboard there's a custom cut piece of glass that's 15"x60" with a cutout for the keys area. The glass top has room for two MIDI controllers, a Roli Seaboard 49, a Kii Three BXT monitor controller, and various environmental controls.

The K&M stand was $200 and the cut glass was $125.

Last week the guy who owns the biggest studio in the state with 2 vintage Neves and 3 wall to wall SSL's was in the room raving about how sleek and ergonomic my keyboard setup is.

ALittleNightMusic

Former Member
I'm contemplating trying to build myself a custom under-the-desk keyboard stand out of 2x4s (maybe 1x4 will be enough?). I know nothing about carpentry so not sure if it will be enough to hold the keyboard or if it'll work, but thinking something like this (with casters underneath).

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 5.48.31 PM.png

Paulogic

This solution is great, but they don't ship to Belgium, thats a shame.
Hmmm, still thinking what to do... o_O

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarrini (btw, don't own it, just love it)
This happened over the weekend. Previously the three screens were the same size.

View attachment 51385

That's a 43" Hisense 4K TV. I blame Christian Henderson. Though my workflow has noticeably sped up :)

And just so you know, if you stand at the desk and turn around you see this.
You seriously need to win the award for making the most out of the least space. Amazing. Love it.
And I did ponder the big TV when I saw Christian's new digs also, lol. BTW, no room for the Kleenex on the desk anywhere? ;)

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarrini (btw, don't own it, just love it)
... SL 88 Grand weighs like a tank, so I wouldn’t even dare to put it on that tray :)
You can say that again. The specs say 48 lbs I think but it feels more like 108, lol. I had to use a Z stand (previous reply above) and just slide it under my old IKEA desk.

erodred

Has anybody created a custom under desk stand for their keyboard? I have the usual Z one but need something slightly shorter to make the ergonomics work for me. Wondering if I should try to build one or perhaps buy one of those under desk sliding ones (though may not leave much room for knees).
I had a basic Ikea desk and then i got a 1 1/4" piece of plywood cut to size and some drawer sliders. Worked great, except I needed to use the extra piece of wood to raise the desk up a bit to spare my knees from banging into the drawer.

ALittleNightMusic

Former Member
I bit the bullet and am getting a custom desk made that has the Doepfer LMK2+ built in and sits on a motorized frame that can be raised and lowered. Plus a custom detachable cover that I can put over the keys to bring my computer keyboard / mouse closer to me when not composing.

Top Bottom