What's new

Show me your d...esk

Alex Fraser

Requires ☕️
Just a quick question for you guys - as a hobbyist, I'm looking to get a better setup than I have now, which is just a standard office table. I have been looking at those "producer" tables many of you have, which has this under-table shelf for the midi keyboard that you can slide back and forth. If you just were to sit and do office work with that shelf below, does it collide with your legs or just cause annoyance in any way? Can you get one that can slide so far back that you can sit and do office work without colliding with it?

The only alternative I found was to get some IKEA stuff and make my own setup, kinda similar to the one from @from_theashes which I really like, where he has the keyboard separately on a stand which I could then remove if I want to do some office work:

Would appreciate any input on this!
I use a "Z" stand with furniture sliders attached to the feet. This way, the stand can slide in and out from under the desk really easily.

Nicholas

Great setup! Is that a Monogram CC? How do you like it?
Thanks! Yes it is indeed. Just to give you some context: I'm living in two worlds right now. One is an electronic music project with a buddy of mine (which does occasionally involve orchestral elements, but most of the time heavily effected and stuff), the other is my media composition career which is just starting to take off. So the Monogram CC is a great way to handle both of these worlds pretty well. That said, the faders are very short. So when I'm working on a longer, orchestra-heavy score (which I did last winter), I'm going to unplug the Maschine (since it's useless when using meter changes anyway), and bring in a custom-built 100mm-fader controller. When I'm writing a lot of orchestral stuff, I feel like I'm missing out on expressiveness with these short faders, especially on Winds and Brass.

Shad0wLandsUK

Contemplating Composing...
Have some synths/pedals/samplers/stuff on a keyboard rack on one side of the room, and a little modular stuff on the other: View attachment 50296 View attachment 50297

All this stuff goes to the patchbays (plus some more Cubase outputs for effecting signals coming from the daw, etc)
Seems you bought half of what JXL sold from his previous studio setup

Nice rack unit you have there, I certainly would advise against watching @christianhenson Modular Mondays, or you may end up living in the remaining space of that unit permanently ;)

If you have any space left then...

Alex Fraser

Requires ☕️
I especially like the addition of the sewing machine and wicker basket of paperwork under the desk for quiet moments of reflection ;)

I have been thinking about the sliding out keyboard solution as well :)
A vintage sewing machine, no less. Belonged to my wife’s grandmother. And the paperwork is there so I don’t have to look at it. 😅

ALittleNightMusic

Former Member
Thanks! Yes it is indeed. Just to give you some context: I'm living in two worlds right now. One is an electronic music project with a buddy of mine (which does occasionally involve orchestral elements, but most of the time heavily effected and stuff), the other is my media composition career which is just starting to take off. So the Monogram CC is a great way to handle both of these worlds pretty well. That said, the faders are very short. So when I'm working on a longer, orchestra-heavy score (which I did last winter), I'm going to unplug the Maschine (since it's useless when using meter changes anyway), and bring in a custom-built 100mm-fader controller. When I'm writing a lot of orchestral stuff, I feel like I'm missing out on expressiveness with these short faders, especially on Winds and Brass.
Thanks for the thoughts! The faders do look quite short (60mm?).

wsimpson

Here it is! :D Monitoring upgrade is coming by the end of the year, after nearly 8 years of rocking the HS8s. View attachment 50181
Great idea to move the second computer monitor to the right. I have two computer monitors side by side and if you want stereo sound from audio monitors you have to sit in the middle and look straight at the seam between the two computer monitors which is pretty silly.

AdamKmusic

Had a little change up, got rid of the Jasper style stand I had as in hindsight it was way too big & garish for my current room! Got something a little more subtle
420EA958-D7BA-4355-A276-E776766DD2B8.jpeg
c034421e-c28c-44c4-967c-465f03fb5697-jpeg.51087

Last edited:
Top Bottom