Show me your d...esk

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Lupez, May 30, 2018.

1. OLB

OLB Member

Oct 24, 2007
    London
    Thanks! Griffin PowerMate :)

The keyboard doesn't slide out. Personally I want it as solid as possible, so no fiddly moving keyboard and always at the same place. But you might be able to attach some rails on the tubes :2thumbs:
    Have a look at the attached photo how the tubes are attached.

I'm amazed how much you can do with scaffolding tubes. I also built a TV mount for my 55" screen.

Attached Files:

Luke W likes this.
  2. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    Here's where I do stuff for the moment. A couple things are not ideal, but it works, and will continue to work until I find myself in a better space.

Those of you who saw my thread asking for advice on finally getting an interface and proper monitors will notice that I haven't done anything yet. I'm still using the speakers an ex-girlfriend bought me for Christmas eight years ago. Those things were hot back in 2010.

I also just read that the nice LEDs I got to turn my desk into a light source have been known to cause their batteries to leak/explode... maybe I should just go back to shining my desk lamp at the wall.

I don't do a whole lot on paper anymore, but I do wish I had a larger desk surface for those times when I get the urge.

49061936_10158045958713098_1565462175768641536_n.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  3. jmvideo

jmvideo Senior Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I learned about ergonomics the hard way, after years of doing things wrong and getting elbow pain and neck pain.

Your QWERTY keyboard and mouse are too high, so if you're doing a lot of typing and mouse work you're in for a world of hurt long term. You're also in for some neck pain if you're staring up at that high monitor a lot.

Look up proper desk ergonomics, level everything out, and you'll thank me later.

al_net77 likes this.
  4. al_net77

al_net77 Active Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    You are right, sometimes I don't feel comfortable when using both the master kbd and the PC kbd, so, while looking for a better positioning, I'm using one at once (luckily the master kbd can control the DAW very well).
    For the monitor: for 20 years I had a side monitor, sometimes 2 side monitors, but I got more neck problems then now. I work about 14 hrs/day on PC (apart of music, I'm a programmer) and I'm feeling better with this solution.
    Moreover there is the chair: I'm surprised you didn't noticed it :)
    I've tried every type of office/studio/startrek chair, but my back seems to need this kind of chair.

5. bryla

bryla Senior Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Two years ago I wanted to upgrade my desk (literally just a desk) so I bought https://www.thomann.de/dk/zaor_miza_61_black_cherry.htm

Spent a whole day(!) putting it together and patching everything and also cleaning and making order in all the cables around. Sat at the new desk with the computer keyboard on the bottom shelf and look up at the screen and could immediately feel the pain.

Had to do some light computer work in the evening and my pains grew stronger. Spent the whole next day disassembling and putting it back in the box and asking Thomann to pick it up again.

Upside is I sorted out all my cables and cleaned behind the desk :D

A couple months later I found a standing desk from IKEA and adjust height as necessary.

whiskers and jmvideo like this.
  6. husker

husker Member

Nov 22, 2017
  7. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Put my controller on the desk finally. Far from ideal, but better than it was.

Sorry for the potato quality, will take a better picture later. IMG_20190120_190653.jpg

kyleogren, Wolf68 and jbuhler like this.
  8. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Active Member

May 8, 2013
    What desk is this?

whiskers likes this.
  9. husker

husker Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Zaor Miza 88 XL

whiskers and Symfoniq like this.
  10. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Sticker shock :faint:

Bet it's nice though :2thumbs:

11. mcovarrubiasi

mcovarrubiasi New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    We have a very similar setup. How are you liking the s88 mk2? Im tempted. I know is not top of the line weighted keys but if its decent yoi can get used to it. Nice monitor as well!

12. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    It's pretty decent. I'm having a rather hard time getting used to Komplete Kontrol software though, as I prefer to use kontakt instances. But the controls on the MK2 require your using the Kontrol software and load your VIs through that. Perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to it. Having the physical knobs to adjust parameters though is very nice.

Maybe in hindsight I would have gone with the Studiologic SL88, or the Nektar LX88, though sadly that one isn't hammer action. The main reason I bought the S88 MK2 was Komplete integration, but it just feels pretty klunky to me. When you do use Kontrol SW though, having the HW controls are nice. Browsing actual instruments on the LCD screen however, I don't do that often. I'm more in kontakt.

So it's probably worth what they're asking, I just haven't gotten used to the workflow yet. Actions pretty decent. A bit spongy, but heavy feeling to my touch, but definitely workable.

Monitor is the Samsung CF791...love it.

mcovarrubiasi likes this.
  13. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Yes, I rarely use the KK software on my S61 because I find the software so kludgy. But I do map the lights and controls for some of my favorite instruments and save those as a preset to use with Kontakt in standalone or in a DAW. The KK instances can be good starting points for deciding how to map the various controls.

whiskers likes this.
  14. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    I seriously need to look into that preset mapping, thanks

jbuhler likes this.
  15. TuomasP

TuomasP Active Member

My Zaor Miza Grey wenge -setup.

Attached Files:

steveo42, husker, whiskers and 3 others like this.
  16. husker

husker Member

Nov 22, 2017
    Yeah, I didn't pay near the price for what they go for now. I was really fortunate to get a good Ebay deal on mine. Of course, getting it to my house was the challenge.

whiskers likes this.
  17. Symfoniq

Symfoniq Active Member

May 8, 2013
    As the user of extremely generic and relatively inexpensive furniture for my "studio," this thread raises a bigger question for me, which is:

"Are you generally happy with your specialized studio furniture? Or do you feel 'boxed in' by its very particular design. In other words, if you need to change your setup, will your specialized furniture let you do that? Or do you wish you had done the simplest thing that could possibly work?"

I ask because I can see the appeal of the cheap, simple, no-nonsense IKEA setups, as well as the expensive custom-made studio furniture from companies like Sound Construction. They each have their particular advantages and disadvantages.

MartinH. and whiskers like this.
  18. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    Wouldn't that be somewhat slower and more prone to breaking ? ;)

19. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    I just laid a door panel on a pair of height-adjustable trestles, and adjusted the height so that I could work both standing or sitting on a tall chair. Door panels are rigid yet lightweight. Of course that's a lot of reflective surface just before the monitors, so it might not be the best idea from an aecoustics point of view. But it's cheap, super convenient and provides a lot of room for moving your clutter around.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    steveo42 likes this.
  20. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Still tater quality image, sorry.

IMG_20190202_113133.jpg

Wolf68, steveo42 and James H like this.