Show me your d...esk

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Lupez, May 30, 2018.

1. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    It was the perfect solution for me, and very well built.

2. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Also thinking along this same line

3. Richard Križan

Richard Križan New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    SLOVAKIA
  4. Akarin

Akarin pragsound.com

Jan 14, 2018
    Switzerland
    Here's my d... esk.

Attached Files:

whiskers likes this.
  5. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts No Time for Honky-Tonk

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I used these directions to add a drawer slide and I'm happy with how it turned out. Added it to my Jarvis electric sit/stand desk. It's nice to be able to alternate between working while standing and sitting.

whiskers likes this.
  6. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    That's perfect! My concern was if the ''arms" of the frame would get in the way of the sliding portion, but apparently not!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I'm not sure what you mean by silicon portion, but I'm able to fit an 88 key midi keyboard in there.

I get bad repetitive stress issues--what a lot of people call carpal tunnel--so this is done with RSI in mind. In the past I had to reach over my midi keyboard to use my mouse and regular keyboard. Over time, that really messed with my wrists. My current setup is awesome because I just pull the drawer out to play, push it back in to get correct posture for working with the regular keyboard. Moreover, the standing desk allows me nudge the height of the desk up and down by fractions of an inch, just by tapping a button.

The downside of my setup is that I had to use a smaller drawer size than in the directions in my post above, so the sliding drawer won't support the weight if I were to pound the midi keyboard at full force. But it's sturdy enough that I've never had a problem with playing at normal velocities.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    whiskers likes this.
  8. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Stupid typos. Sliding portion not silicon :)

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  9. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    Thanks, if you don't mind, I might 'pick your brain' about this setup later. My ideal would be to have a standing desk, but wasn't sure on the drawbacks/implementation limitations vs a regular fixed desk.

The big thing for me is prevention/don't want to stay in a sedentary stance. I work 9 hour shifts and was not able to get a sit/stand desk at work, so that's plenty of sitting as is. I find the ability to adjust does loads for my focus/attention as well.

RE: reaching over the instrument to use the [typing keyboard]. Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I want to treat it as a normal desk when the keyboard is not in use (I game and use my PC for plenty of other things besides music). Right now I have the keyboard entirely to the right of my desk but that's so far from ideal.

Cheers, mate.

10. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I switched to the Jarvis electric sit/stand desk in 2015 and have used it happily every day since. There's virtually no downside, except the cost. You'll have to think about how you have your speaker monitors positioned, and where to put your chair when you stand up.

For me, the importance isn't the standing part, it's the changing it up part. Staying in one position for too long, be it standing or sitting, isn't good for me. I change it up several times throughout the day, it's a simple click of a button, it's always comfortable, and helps with RSI.

will_m and whiskers like this.
  11. whiskers

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    exactly!

Right now, I've got my monitors on my desk, so I don't think that'd be too much of an issue. Re: the chair, that's small potatoes.

May send you a PM if I have questions later. Looking at both the Jarvis stand and Autonomous.ai and some others...all look similar.

12. HeliaVox

HeliaVox Active Member

Aug 27, 2017
    I bought the red version of the stand.
    At the time I bought it, it was selling for significantly less than the black version.

I also have a S88 my NI, like in the pics you asked about.
    Keep in mind that if you slide the keyboard out far enough to use the knobs and sliders, your desk is so far away it makes using the typing keyboard and mouse very uncomfortable, almost to the point of unusablility.
    Maybe I have short arms, but my arms are at the traditional placement for playing, extended to use the control part of the S88, and my arms are almost fully extended to reach the typing keyboard and mouse.
    After all these years, I'm still looking for a solution that works.
    But I'm fed up with spending so much money on furniture to get something that works for me.

steveo42 and whiskers like this.
  13. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    This is what I am afraid of. I have a Yamaha MODX8 as my master controller and the screen and most of the knobs are at the top of the synth so I would indeed have to pull it out pretty far which would make typing and mousing more difficult.

It seems that some guys (Hans Zimmer's setup comes to mind) just need access to the actual keybed and then use a separate control surface for all of the twiddling.

It's never easy is it? :)

14. Shad0wLandsUK

Shad0wLandsUK Senior Member

Feb 20, 2016
    London, UK
    Is that Audio Interface by Antelope?... I recognise the OSD

15. al_net77

al_net77 Active Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    Nope, Motu 8Pre-es

Shad0wLandsUK likes this.
  16. OLB

OLB Member

Oct 24, 2007
    London
    I’ve had somebody make this reclaimed scaffolding desk. It’s fairly simple but it’s a rock solid frame and completely adjustable

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  17. Carlos Lopez-Real

Carlos Lopez-Real New Member

Oct 3, 2017
    London
    That's a great idea!
    By the way, what's the control surface directly in front of your Mac keyboard?

OLB likes this.
  18. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Nice! Another question - what's the silver dial to the left of the Mac keyboard? Thanks!

19. Luke W

Luke W Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Nashville TN
    The keyboard doesn't slide in/out, does it? How is the keyboard shelf mounted? To the single pipe at the back edge?

20. Bear Market

Bear Market Member

May 9, 2017
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I believe that's an Avid Artist Control.

OLB and Carlos Lopez-Real like this.