Show me your d...esk

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Lupez, May 30, 2018.

1. brett

brett Active Member

Jul 14, 2010
    My approach was to have the computer keyboard and mouse in front of the music keyboard. On the one desk.

I had to drop the desk height a little so that my arms were more or less at 90 degrees when typing / mousing. My Aeron chair has forward tilt when I’m playing piano which helps.

It’s not perfect but my rationale is that it’s more important to get the ergonomics correct for the thing I’m doing most of the time. For me, I’d spend at 10% of my time playing the piano, and 90% of my time using the mouse and keyboard programming. If I had the positions reversed I would be either leaning forward to the mouse and keyboard most of the time or, if I had the mouse and keyboard on a sliding tray that I could bring forward, would have my hands too high with my wrist resting on the edge of the desk.

Works for me.

For now...

2. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    I’m on the market for this too. Can you confirm that it’s quite easy to do ?
    Mine would be 4 faders, 4 buttons and maybe an oled screen, in a flat enclosure.

3. Josh Richman

Josh Richman Active Member

Feb 25, 2017
  4. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    UK
    Yep, I've gone this way too.
    I had enough of stretching over the midi keys with my arms suspended.

Like you, I dropped the desk height. Next, I took my Keystation 88 and cut the small rubber legs off the bottom. This lowered the keyboard height by about 1/2 inch and also had the unexpected effect of improving the keyboard feel. (I guess having the entirety of the key bed resting on a solid surface stops the flex..)

Now, I push the Keystation back when I'm mixing/programming etc, and pull it forward a couple of inches for more detailed playing.

I think (for me) it's better this way. The romantic in me wants to believe I'll be spending all day summoning forth beautiful piano music on my ivory keyboard, jotting the occasional note on gold edged manuscript paper. The pragmatist in me reluctantly knows I'll be spending the day mashing out single note parts, wrestling with the Kontakt interface and squinting at CC lanes. Hence, for me at least, the mouse and Mac keyboard must rule.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm telling you, having the desktop slide over the MIDI keyboard is the answer!

Your MIDI keyboard, computer keyboard/mouse, monitor, and speakers are always in the right position. There's no compromise between playing the keyboard or working on your desk - it takes a fraction of a second to switch between the two. You're always comfortable.

This is based on years of trying all kinds of different set-ups, from an L-shaped arrangement to a corner desk to having multiple speakers, even trying to swing an old CRT monitor. I've been working on my current desk for about 12 years, and before that I built a similar thing using Ultimate Support hardware.

steveo42 and MatFluor like this.
  6. steveo42

steveo42 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    So I think I've figured this out, for me... I'm going to build a shelf, really a box, the full length of the desk and mount it at the back of the desk. It will be high enough to allow the RD-2000 to slide into which will give me desk room when I need desk space to work. I'm going to put those "easy sliders" under the RD-2000 so I can easily slide it in/out of it's garage. The space on top of the shelf will be for my Mackie Monitor Controller and MOTU interface, Schitt headphone amp, phone etc.

Additionally I will follow Alex's advice and mount the mouse/keyboard under the desk on my Logitech tray so I can use both without reaching when I have the RD-2000 out of the garage, and since they are both wireless, I can just move them up onto the desk when the RD-2000 is in it's garage.

I think this is going to work for me because now I don't have to worry about leg room underneath, have a place to store, mostly, the RD-2000 and don't have to swivel back and forth to play, look at screen, etc as well as reclaim desk space when I need it.

The principle is similar to Nick's excellent design only the shelf stays put and only the RD-2000 moves.

7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    steveo42, are you extremely tall?

Anyway, you might find something like this useful for making your keyboard slide.

You can get them at any hardware store, they come in a variety of sizes, and stick to anything.

8. steveo42

steveo42 Active Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks Nick, those are pretty much the same sliders I am using. They came in a kit with 4 for hardwood, those are felt based, and 4 for carpet, which are real slippery plastic based. I can move my RD-2000 on a square stand around easily with them underneath. I'll use the felt ones when I put the RD-2000 on the desk.

So I'm 6"1' 240 lbs. Weight concentrated in my, ahem, beer belly :) but otherwise normal proportions.

9. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's right. Okay, no need to repeat myself (about your legs not hitting the bottom of the keyboard).

steveo42 likes this.
  10. Richard Križan

Richard Križan New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    SLOVAKIA
    MY HOMEMADE STUDIO DESK from IKEA = 214€:

2x LINNMON
    1x KOLON
    1x CAPITA
    1x SIGNUM
    1x 3m LED lights /Aliexpress 8€
    KKmoon Large Size mouse pad 900x400x3mm /Aliexpress 8€
    ALL = 100€

1x ST227 R
    http://www.porezdrevotriesky.sk/stolova-podnoz-st227-r-vyskovo-nastavitelna-i43140.html
    114€

ALL DESK COMPONENTs: 214€
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

1X RME Babyface Pro
    2x Dynaudio BM5 MKIII Stand Bundle
    1x Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2
    1x K&M 18810
    1x Presonus Faderport
    1x Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohms
    1x Nektar Impact LX61+
    1x M-Audio SP-2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Wolf68, ridgero, miket and 4 others like this.
  11. noxtenebrae17

noxtenebrae17 Active Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sorry for the late update. I did end up finishing my desk that I designed and built from the ground up. Took me a little longer than expected, but it is a terrific workstation. I even built a couple of monitor stands to match the desk.

The picture doesn't do the size of this thing justice, as it is almost 7 feet wide. However, this room isn't the final home of this beast, as I'm working on finishing my basement studio over the next year or so.

For those that didn't see my first post, the keyboard is a Doepfer LMK2+, there is a power conditioner built into the back of the desk, the midi controller is a Korg Nanokontrol Studio, panels and iso pads are Primacoustic, and the 32" 4k BenQ monitor is mounted straight into the desk. The desk is made of a maple plywood frame that I laminated with some Wilsonart matte charcoal laminate and then the edging is solid maple. The legs are black powder-coated steel.

[​IMG]

12. TheNorseman

TheNorseman Active Member

Jun 27, 2017
    You have great taste in Scotch. Also, nice desk.

bc3po and Richard Križan like this.
  13. Lode_Runner

Lode_Runner Senior Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Beautiful desk

jamwerks and Walra48 like this.
  14. Manaberry

Manaberry Active Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Quick update of my setup with 2 brand new 27" WQHD screens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fredeke, Wolf68, miket and 8 others like this.
  15. AdamAlake

AdamAlake Music Person

I need a simple desk with bottom sliding shelf, are there any freely available blueprints for such a thing?

16. al_net77

al_net77 Active Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    No blueprint, but take this as an hint:

IMG_20181209_214930.jpg

Totally DIY, cost under 30€...

MartinH., whiskers and AdamAlake like this.
  17. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010

Guys,

What is the Komplete Kontrol keyboard sitting on in these images? (I reached out to the OP but he has not been able to get back to me on this question) the stand that allows the Komplete Kontrol to sit under the desk.

Is it some sort of custom drum hardware thing or an Ultimate support stand? I need something that can sit under a conventional 29" desk that's about 24" tall to support my MODX 8 master controller. Bonus points if it's cheap and adjustable.

Any insight would be appreciated!

All the very best,

Darren

Edit: Of course the "reply" did not copy the images over. They are in the post above by Richard Krizan.

18. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OmegaStd--k-and-m-omega-black

I believe it's this stand. It's what I use under an Ikea desk as well. Works great!

19. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Yup, looks like he just blocked the sides of it with some anti-slide blocks as well. Definitely the K&M Omega though

D Halgren and dpasdernick like this.
  20. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    D Halgren likes this.