Should we be waiting for O T new sampler.

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by novaburst, Apr 15, 2019.

1. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015

Seems like VSL are not the only ones hard at work, there seems to be big changes at OT, sure you all are aware.

Should we be waiting for the new sampler, or will those with existing O T library's be able to some how get free library pass to this new sampler, as from what I see its looking very good.

2. erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I don't know how the rest of you feel, but that video is cool!

How much does something like that cost to produce?

novaburst and H.R. like this.
  3. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    yeah we should be waiting

novaburst likes this.
  4. H.R.

H.R. Active Member

Aug 19, 2013
    What a beautiful video!

novaburst likes this.
  5. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Active Member

I'm waiting! It was announced nearly 3 months ago now and I'm still eager to use it; that composite microphone position feature is the thing to change my workflow for the better.

novaburst likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    From what i see it will be a free download, i would like to know if those with existing OT library's will they need to purchase again to use them in the new sampler.

7. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    I doubt it, but I imagine we'll have to download the libraries again.

novaburst likes this.
  8. That would be an incredibly stupid move to make people buying the same library twice to use it in two different samplers. Nobody would ever do that. Oh wait...

9. musicisum

musicisum

Jul 30, 2018
    [​IMG]

mike753, novaburst, Spike2000 and 2 others like this.
  10. shawnsingh

shawnsingh Active Member

Jun 2, 2018
    you can see them talking about it just a bit more in this event from NAMM -

Maybe they say something there about the migration for existing users? I didn't have the motivation to watch through it again just to find out. But I am excited for the features of the new player.

novaburst likes this.
  11. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    One really cool feature they talked about was integration of their on-line shop inside the player, so you can buy, download, and install even single articulations right from inside the plugin, while your DAW is running. Much better than buying "expansion block C" just to get that one sul-pont-trem articulation you might want at some point.

12. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    What do you think?

novaburst likes this.
  13. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    Yep. That’s the part that I really like too. A literal smorgasbord of musically sampled delights.

Or am I getting carried away?

Rey and novaburst like this.
  14. StevenOBrien

StevenOBrien Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Ireland
    Migration will be free.

For all the interesting features, if I can be cynical about it, new sampler plugin fundamentally means: better anti-piracy, trying to get out of NI's ecosystem. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't allow free migration over. Free migration would also allow them to completely abandon the Kontakt versions going forward.

It will already be annoying enough to redownload GB's worth of libraries (I actually wonder if the pick & mix shop idea is to make this easier, so you can just download each instrument as you need it), to have to use yet another sampler plugin just for one or two instruments, they'll want to make the transition as easy as possible.

novaburst likes this.
  15. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I'd like to know as well.

A new player seems a hard enough sell as it is, even without burdening the paying customers with drm hoops to jump through. If it requires iLok or similar, I'm out.

novaburst likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    My true thoughts are they will need to make the new down loads for existing library holders payable especially if great work has been done to make the library's work better, and less power hungry,

Bottom line is if the new player offers better performance why not pay again as essentially it would be like purchasing a new library,

i would expect existing library holders to get a pleasing discount offer,

Then again they could be shooting themselves in to foot if they dont put some kind of payment on it. it is kind of an upgrade you would think

17. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    so their chopping their libraries into smaller articulation based sections and now you can own any part of articulation of their sample for a way more cheaper price. no need to buy the full ark series or berlin series?

18. whiskers

whiskers Perpetual student

Sep 5, 2018
    US
    well it told me very little, but damn if it didn't look [and sound] cool.

novaburst and Wolf68 like this.
  19. charlieclouser

charlieclouser Senior Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I have no concrete info on which products will get the "buy one articulation at a time" treatment. But in the JXL event they specifically mentioned this possibility. It sounded interesting to me because I had just bought the full monty of OT Strings / Brass / Winds, and had opted for all of the expansions even though I knew I only wanted a few of the extended techniques, but I had to buy the A/B/C expansions just to get those few that I wanted. If I could have picked them one at a time, a la carte style, I would have.

So I like that idea, as I'm sure others will too.

SoNowWhat? and novaburst like this.
  20. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Really??? [​IMG] This is a dream come true scenario for me. There's always something I'd love to have but can't afford paying full price of a library for just that segment.

Most of the time what I want are articulations that would make a musical passage more lively, like having Staccato Overblown from MA4. Shame I spent so much money on sample libraries before something like this existed, with no option to resell like 90% of that stuff... Eh, lesson learned I guess. I'm not buying anything until seeing how this new OT business model works. I feel like with the new sample player, a la carte approach and evergrowing amount of libraries which are getting better and more playable still, they'll most probably be the only company that will get my money in the future.

novaburst likes this.