What's new

Should we be outraged at Apple for this, or is there an explanation?

look, this is simply capitalism. You need to surpass your achievements every year, just to stay at the profit level you had last year. This means higher prices (see iPhone etc), cheaper production or stricter rules (preventing third party etc...) that ultimately end up being your own profit growth. If you don't like their strategy, don't buy their products, and they realise it very soon and change their strategy. No need to be outraged at something that is a part of how our current sociatey operates and works...

Is your heart really in that argument?

These things were outlawed and you are entitled to use whoever.

If its an out of warranty repair, I do not reckon they will get away with forcing you to use Apple only repairs.

It's only the iMac Pro and 2018 MacBook Pro (so far?), both of which are probably still under warranty.

This is the issue:

"new software locks have been put in place that make the machines “inoperable” unless Apple’s proprietary System Configuration software is run after a repair."

Wasn't Vista a shocker as well!
Actually, once they did SP1 for Vista, it worked well. Unfortunately, by that point, people hated Vista.

I have a fairly new iPad that I like. Other than that, each time I think about buying an Apple computer, the price for what I can get has stopped me. That and the bad experience with an iBook that crashed everytime I added a second plugin to a track. This does not help.

I guess if they don't need repairs, it doesn't really matter. But I live over an hour from the nearest Apple store and my husband's iPhones regularly have problems that are not always reproducible at the store. Fortunately, it is at a nice mall. I still am happily using my Note 3. I think I'm on my 3rd battery. He's had 4 phones in the same time. Doesn't make me confident in their longevity.

Actually, once they did SP1 for Vista, it worked well. Unfortunately, by that point, people hated Vista.

I have a fairly new iPad that I like. Other than that, each time I think about buying an Apple computer, the price for what I can get has stopped me. That and the bad experience with an iBook that crashed everytime I added a second plugin to a track. This does not help.

I guess if they don't need repairs, it doesn't really matter. But I live over an hour from the nearest Apple store and my husband's iPhones regularly have problems that are not always reproducible at the store. Fortunately, it is at a nice mall. I still am happily using my Note 3. I think I'm on my 3rd battery. He's had 4 phones in the same time. Doesn't make me confident in their longevity.
My experience is the exact opposite. I blew a power supply in my Mac Plus in the late 80s. I blew something in my G5 while changing out RAM- prolly wasn’t sufficiently grounded. My white plastic 2008 laptop’s case was crap- they replaced the keyboard. It limps, but still works. I’ve had various dumb software problems occur when Apple does something stupid.

All in all, as my total history of problems over 30 years of using Apple products, I’d say that’s pretty convincing. At present, I have a working Mac Pro, G5, G4, Mini, laptop, two working iPads (the iPad 2 is slow as hell and cracked but works) an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 3 I just couldn’t kill. I had a half dozen other Macs I gave away or sold, all working.

My experience is the exact opposite. I blew a power supply in my Mac Plus in the late 80s. I blew something in my G5 while changing out RAM- prolly wasn’t sufficiently grounded. My white plastic 2008 laptop’s case was crap- they replaced the keyboard. It limps, but still works. I’ve had various dumb software problems occur when Apple does something stupid.

All in all, as my total history of problems over 30 years of using Apple products, I’d say that’s pretty convincing. At present, I have a working Mac Pro, G5, G4, Mini, laptop, two working iPads (the iPad 2 is slow as hell and cracked but works) an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 3 I just couldn’t kill. I had a half dozen other Macs I gave away or sold, all working.
I had a bad experience with Toyota as well, brand new car, starter cable broke after a month, battery at 3 months, etc... had to fight to get them to fix anything. My friend's lasted years with no problems. So it is probably me.

Haha, you haven't used an Apple since an iBook. Gosh!

Here in South Africa the certified Apple support is so terrible. I had a MacBook under warranty and I knew the problem was the trackpad. I told them but they said it wasn't. It took them 2 weeks to eventually figure out that yes, it was the trackpad. Then they need to order the part. So it took a month for a simple faulty trackpad to be replaced. So I have lost all hope of any good technical support for Apple here in South Africa and have gone the Hackintosh route (yes I know my days are numbered with their new proprietary CPU down the line, but thats still gives me give or take 7-10 years on a. Mac with an older OS), cos I know I can easily replace the hardware parts myself instead of having to send it into our terrible Apple support centres and wait for ages, while I lose time doing work. Sorry about the Vent, but Apple support is terrible here.

I am totally on board with Right to Repair, however this is not a documentary, as you can see the Rossman Repair logo at the bottom of the video.

Im not going back to a Microsoft system in my lifetime, with all the daily software/hardware hassles and corporate paternalism. At least with Apple I can have a functional and reliable system that helps me optimize time with music production.
Hmmmm .... my early 2013 Windows 7 machine is maybe the most "quiet" machine I ever owned, in every respect. Not a single sign of "paternalism". ;) The best DAW I worked with so far (and there were quite a few, also more recent ones).

Compared to my Macs' constant attempts to update the OS, to open iTunes (a.k.a. The Virus), and all those blocks when trying to work with stuff I just downloaded ... :unsure:

Last edited:
I am totally on board with Right to Repair, however this is not a documentary, as you can see the Rossman Repair logo at the bottom of the video.

It is an excerpt of a (possibly biased) CBC documentary that he himself posted on his channel, if you go to the youtube page of the video, he links the full video in the description. So you are both right and wrong in a way.

I mean its ott like we don't have alternatives, right ? go win....

I try to stay out of the religious PC/Mac wars, but I am a happy Windows 7 user. I tried to legit switch to Macs about a decade ago, and to be honest nothing in the world has made me appreciate Windows more, than trying to switch to OSX. I'm just not cut out to use something like OSX. I've also had more trouble in shorter time than I ever had with windows, and in the time since I went back to Windows I have seen my Mac-using collegues go through a lot more issues with incompatibilities between their Mac hardware, OSX versions, and their software than I went through in the same time-frame.

At the time where I bought my Mac I was really fed up with Windows - basically ragequitting... but trying out the supposedly "greener gras" on the other side of the fence, has increased my satisfaction with Windows tenfold.

I'm not hearing much good about Windows 10 though, so I do what I (successfully) did with Vista, I try to skip it and use what I'm familiar and happy with for as long as I can. But every time I say that, someone comes along and says "Microsoft has said Windows 10 will be their last windows version" or something like that, and then I get depressed because I reject that forced update bullshit and any form of "lack of control over my own computer".

I have seen my Mac-using collegues go through a lot more issues with incompatibilities between their Mac hardware, OSX versions, and their software than I went through in the same time-frame.
This. 8-)

... it's just that the "Mac-using colleague" is me again, in my case. :-P

I think on both Mac and Windows, it's very important to pick the right OS. For instance, if you jumped into High Sierra when it was first released, you would have found that a great deal of your music software was incompatible. I believe that most of this was due to the new Apple File System that debuted with High Sierra. It replaced the HFS+ file system, which Apple had used since System 8. This was the biggest system-wide change in the Mac platform since migrating to Intel a decade ago. Most music software is High Sierra compatible now, but it took nearly a year for some developers to get there.

If you jumped into Windows 10 when it was first released, your privacy was probably being violated by Microsoft. My understanding is that Windows 10 still defaults that way; but thanks to a series of updates, you can work around it by configuring settings. More on that here:

Windows 10 privacy guide: How to take control

I have heard both iOS 11 and High Sierra referred to as "Apple's Vista." Time will tell whether Apple has bounced back with iOS 12 and Mojave.

In the meantime, I'm still on Sierra; and I've kept my wife's PC on Windows 7.

Best,

Geoff

Top Bottom