Should religious scofflaws be impounded during the virus crisis?

Kevin Fortin

Should we allow them to congregate then weld the doors shut or at least pen them in for the duration?

Of course I don't mean the people who believe in both faith and reason, whoever they might be.

[Title edited for clarity.]

Last edited:
OP
Kevin Fortin

Kevin Fortin

What have 'they' been up to that bugs you?

Are you volunteering to be the one to select the chosen ones that are to be saved from the welder's arc? :unsure:
Couldn't people just not congregate for now?

Or are you really in favor of mass gatherings that can serve as incubation chambers and increase the number of infections in the general community?

Last edited:

Technostica

Congregations aren't allowed in my country right now and that is down to the authorities.
If local authorities don't ban or enforce any ban then they need to take responsibility for that, as some people are reckless and need strong guidance.

Zedcars

Klaatu barada nikto
Funny how those that ignore or reject scientifically sound advice when it suits them (eg to congregate), also hugely benefit from science in ways they take for granted (medicines, technology etc). Holding an irrational belief is your right, but when your actions based on that belief system negatively affect the well-being of others then it is a problem. Only way to control that is to enact emergency laws that restrict public gatherings as other countries have done. Religious gatherings should not be exempted otherwise it greatly dilutes the effectiveness of said restrictions.

Technostica

Some of the American States are laughable really.
Local politics is often a bad joke as is the case here.
Use your vote wisely the next time around.
Assuming you even get one half decent candidate which is a big ask.
Not everyone wants to vote for a geriatric billionaire. :thumbsdown:

Polkasound

These church leaders who are still holding congregated services need to be held accountable. When they proclaim things like, "You must continue showing up for church," or "God will protect us from the virus," they're not just putting people at risk, but also doing some serious spiritual damage. To understand the damage they're doing, all they'd have to do is read the book they claim to preach:
  • People walked to the Red Sea, but God parted it.
  • People filled and brought vats of water, but Jesus turned them into wine.
  • People moved away the stone, but Jesus raised Lazarus.
  • People brought and lowered a paralyzed man through the roof, but Jesus healed him.
  • People went fishing, but God multiplied the yield.
  • People marched around Jericho, but God brought the walls down
  • People built the ark, but God led the animals to it.
This is how miracles are found over and over and over throughout the Bible, and it sends a very clear message: Man must first do what man can do, and then God will do what man cannot do. No person of faith should ever disregard scientifically-sound medical advice.

The key to salvation is not, and never has been, one's church attendance record. There are a million ways to worship, so there are options for churches during a pandemic situation like this. Any church leader who teaches otherwise and puts their congregation at risk should be defrocked.

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
God will protect them.
Im not religious but have faith.
When I play the tables I pray to Mohammed, Buddha, Zeus, Allah, Jesus, Shiva and Jehovah. Why take a chance, one of them is bound to answer.

But congregating to worship a single deity is limiting your odds.
If you must congregate it’s best to communicate to multiple Gods.

Then they can easily protect you from the Chinese pandemic...

markleake

Recovering sale addict
Polkasound, you reminded me of something Nicky Gumble says in the Alpha video teaching series. He makes some sort of statement about in the modern world, science and medicine is what God now uses to heal people.

The statement is a big theological one, and it reflects the view of almost all contemporary Christian denominations (even the happy clappers)... that there is nothing magical or exceptional about how sickness and disease works for Christians on an everyday basis. And there's good reason for Christians to hold this view.

It seems some people and groups take a more emotional or political view over common sense, and worse (well, from a religious perspective), over their own theology. We've had no issues with this stuff here in Australia. Except for some problems with strong authodox Jews with their daily 10 minimum people prayer gatherings, all religious gatherings have simply stopped, no question.

In the US it seems different, and I suspect it's because of the politicisation of the churches. It's a kind of exceptionalism style of teaching some of these churches are now following, the "we are better, or different, or have some special favour that other people don't have" stuff. It seems pretty dangerous to me: not Christian at all, more cultish in nature; a clear undermining of Jesus' teaching about who gets into heaven.

As a Christian, I wonder how Paul would admonish them. Don't they realise this is not what Jesus taught at all? Or do they not read the parts of the New Testament telling Christians to respect and follow the laws of their government?

I find this behaviour troubling. It reflects badly on Christians.

Gene Pool

Should we allow them to congregate then weld the doors shut or at least pen them in for the duration?
That would be an appropriate question for the looters destroying their cities, violently beating innocent people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and preventing sincere citizens from engaging in lawful protest. And these lowlifes may well set this country back to where we were a month or more ago by causing an unaccounted for upsurge in Corona cases. This could already have been over with on the first night if they had enacted a policy of shooting looters on site. Modern man is too morally weak and intellectually shallow to survive.

patrick76

This could already have been over with on the first night if they had enacted a policy of shooting looters on site. Modern man is too morally weak and intellectually shallow to survive.
So the "moral" thing to do is shoot looters on site? Death penalty for stealing? That doesn't seem very moral at all. I cannot stand the looting either, but that is not just.

OP
Kevin Fortin

Kevin Fortin

That would be an appropriate question for the looters destroying their cities, violently beating innocent people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, and preventing sincere citizens from engaging in lawful protest. And these lowlifes may well set this country back to where we were a month or more ago by causing an unaccounted for upsurge in Corona cases. This could already have been over with on the first night if they had enacted a policy of shooting looters on site. Modern man is too morally weak and intellectually shallow to survive.
If only the hand of prophecy had guided me better way back on April 1st.

Gene Pool

So the "moral" thing to do is shoot looters on site?
You would shut down the worthless lowlifes tout de suite. They would be warned ahead of time, and when they hear the bullets start flying, they will know your warning was not a bluff and will scatter. It worked very well in the past.

Unless the moral thing is what we've had so far. Mass arson. Mass looting. Mass vandalism. Violence, rioting, mayhem, and savage beatings and murder of people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Devastated small business owners who were already devastated from the lockdown. And blowing our progress on the pandemic sky high.

Oh, I guess, come to think of it, your way is the moral way. Shooting a handful of looters who were warned ahead of time matter more than all that. Allowing your society to be at the mercy of scum.

Looting is not mere "stealing." That's why it's called looting and not stealing. And this looting is occurring in the context of a highly violent and destructive riot, which is a cocktail of everything that is at odds with civilization. When you loot, you're a part of the whole crime of everything else that's happening. I didn't say that if you catch a kid stealing a candy bar at the convenience store that you take him out back and blow his brains out.

Like I said: Modern man is too morally weak and intellectually shallow to survive.

But if you want to call it stealing, then watch these "protestors" attempt to steal this man's life:

Last edited:

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
We’re way past NGaurd shooting people. These looters are using real-time satellite Intel, police scanners, as they are well organized and well funded.
Their violence has opened the door to our enemies bringing the fight in our neighborhood again.

Good News is in Virginia our military has a giant replica of an American city complete with cars trucks mailboxes atm’s, looks just like a regular city in the Midwest. They’ve trained for this since it’s inception 18 years ago.

Sadly before this happens many will die at the hands of law enforcement and anarchists. A leftist dream come true.

patrick76

You would shut down the worthless lowlifes tout de suite. They would be warned ahead of time, and when they hear the bullets start flying, they will know your warning was not a bluff and will scatter. It worked very well in the past.

Unless the moral thing is what we've had so far. Mass arson. Mass looting. Mass vandalism. Violence, rioting, mayhem, and savage beatings and murder of people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Devastated small business owners who were already devastated from the lockdown. And blowing our progress on the pandemic sky high.

Oh, I guess, come to think of it, your way is the moral way. Shooting a handful of looters who were warned ahead of time matter more than all that. Allowing your society to be at the mercy of scum.

Looting is not mere "stealing." That's why it's called looting and not stealing. And this looting is occurring in the context of a highly violent and destructive riot, which is a cocktail of everything that is at odds with civilization. When you loot, you're a part of the whole crime of everything else that's happening. I didn't say that if you catch a kid stealing a candy bar at the convenience store that you take him out back and blow his brains out.

Like I said: Modern man is too morally weak and intellectually shallow to survive.

But if you want to call it stealing, then watch these "protestors" attempt to steal this man's life:

Looting doesn't necessarily imply violence. I believe anyone caught in a violent act should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I imagine that is not a very controversial position.

As far as my "way", I never stated one other than not murdering people for stealing. That's it. Not against arresting those that are engaged in those acts.

The modern man thing..... do you believe our ancestors were less morally weak and intellectually shallow? I don't see that.

Gene Pool

Looting doesn't necessarily imply violence.
The looting we are seeing in this situation sure as hell does. You might want go place yourself in the middle of your nearest riot and let me know how that works out for you. I have some experience with this, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

I believe anyone caught in a violent act should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I imagine that is not a very controversial position.
Well, gee, in and of itself, it's not controversial, but that's neither here nor there. Of course anyone caught in a violent act should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but that doesn't really address the dynamics of rioting/looting. It's not really an effective approach when the rioters/looters outnumber the cops by 10 to 1—when the rioters/looters have taken over the streets. When you're standing there trying to protect your business and the cops are nowhere to be found, I don't think you're going to be saying, "Well, they're beating me and my wife to a pulp. I hope they will be arrested for this."

So yeah, when one's heart bleeds for lowlife scum but waves an indifferent hand to real victims, that's morally obtuse.

Gene Pool

We’re way past NGaurd shooting people. These looters are using real-time satellite Intel, police scanners, as they are well organized and well funded.
Their violence has opened the door to our enemies bringing the fight in our neighborhood again.

Good News is in Virginia our military has a giant replica of an American city complete with cars trucks mailboxes atm’s, looks just like a regular city in the Midwest. They’ve trained for this since it’s inception 18 years ago.

Sadly before this happens many will die at the hands of law enforcement and anarchists. A leftist dream come true.
Of course. It's another Soros (et al) stunt. Those Antifa losers are intermingled in and amongst the proceedings. I wonder if there are any Antifa among the membership here. Wouldn't surprise me.

patrick76

The looting we are seeing in this situation sure as hell does. You might want go place yourself in the middle of your nearest riot and let me know how that works out for you. I have some experience with this, and that's all I'm going to say about it.
Some does involve violence some doesn't. I'll pass on the experiment recommendation.
Well, gee, in and of itself, it's not controversial, but that's neither here nor there. Of course anyone caught in a violent act should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but that doesn't really address the dynamics of rioting/looting. It's not really an effective approach when the rioters/looters outnumber the cops by 10 to 1—when the rioters/looters have taken over the streets. When you're standing there trying to protect your business and the cops are nowhere to be found, I don't think you're going to be saying, "Well, they're beating me and my wife to a pulp. I hope they will be arrested for this."
The cops are nowhere to be found in major cities in the U.S. often, not just in riot situations. In Detroit people often would call the fire department rather than the cops when help was needed because they knew that had a better shot at getting law enforcement there through the F.D. Maybe we need to hire more cops, train them well, and pay them well.
So yeah, when one's heart bleeds for lowlife scum but waves an indifferent hand to real victims, that's morally obtuse.
Who's heart bleeds for "lowlife scum"? Who's indifferent to real victims? You're implying someone here?