Should I ditch my local PRO?

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by Rasmus Hartvig, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Active Member

I'm gearing up to get more into library music after having done primarily game music for 12 years. My first instinct was just to stay with my local pro (KODA in Denmark), but there's a fair chance that I'll move to Canada within the next couple of years - probably not permanently, but I might stay there at least a few years. Also, I'll mainly be targeting libraries that aren't necessarily in the Scandinavian region.

So: Will it make sense to change to another PRO that represents the territory I'll target - and where I might end up living - or doesn't it make that big of a difference?

2. Desire Inspires

Desire Inspires Senior Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Miami Beach
    It would probably be a good thing to join SOCAN.

Rasmus Hartvig likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Rasmus Hartvig

Rasmus Hartvig Active Member

Yeah, I did think about that. Am just worried that it might be premature, given that I don't know for certain if / when I'll be moving.

I read somewhere that the PRO you choose also impact the time it takes until you get your payouts. In that case I'm still thinking that it might be wise to switch to another "larger" PRO, since I won't be targeting libraries in the tiny region I live in.

Would it make sense to go with BMI or ASCAP, even if I end up either in Canada or staying where I am? Anyone else from smaller European countries have any experience with having a North American PRO?