Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Paul@Sydney

Was playing with some shorts testing on my strings libraries, and it got to the point where I thought, "we haven't had a shootout for a while on vi-control".

So time for a poll / blind shootout. I will post the details of libraries/articulations later.

Very short example, played through various libraries and articulations - some work, some don't so much. Pick your favourite in the poll, and make comments good/bad/indifferent about any of the examples below.

If you click through to Youtube, I've added timecode links in the video description.

and 24,25,26:
View attachment 2023-06-01 Octa Ens Strings Shootout 2.2023-06-02 11_20_01 24-26.mp3

Last edited:
Midi attached if you want to run it through your own libraries and articulations for comparison.

Attachments

• Octa Shorts Shootout.MID
    578 bytes · Views: 5
How many string libraries do you own?! Is it you, son of Muziksculp?

So, I've voted number 13 as the shorts in all the instruments seemed the tightest and most defined, with number 6 being a close second. There were some really sloppy ones, like 3, 4 and 7 I do wonder how much the room and closeness to the mic impacted the percieved tightness of some of the examples..

How many string libraries do you own?! Is it you, son of Muziksculp?
Well, some are free, some were included in bundles or larger ensemble libraries. I've only deliberately bought three dedicated strings sections. I think there's only about 8 distinct libraries in this, maybe even less. It covers all their articulations too.

Sad thing is, I could have done at least another four or five libraries. Way too much choice. That's why I was testing them out, seeing if I was missing out on any of them, I really only use the three I intended to buy.

I've voted number 13 as the shorts in all the instruments seemed the tightest and most defined, with number 6 being a close second. There were some really sloppy ones, like 3, 4 and 7 I do wonder how much the room and closeness to the mic impacted the percieved tightness of some of the examples..
Completely agree. 13 and 6 clear winners here.

#6.

#13 in a close 2nd.

Those were the only ones to really nail the 32nd notes.
Seems to be a consistent vote for 5/6 (which are pretty much the same) and 13. What's your thought on tone, room, section size between those two? Any preferences?

Interesting that 12 doesn't get much love, given than 5/6 does. Without revealing too much but those are very closely related.

I liked 13 and 18. I'll give it to 13 for sounding a bit more polished but I like the tight stereo image of 18.
5 and 6 were good as well.

Edit: The more I listen to 18 though the more I like it. It's got that Bernard Herrmann Pycho feel to it.

I like 11 too. Velocity doesn't seem to match but this is a matter of editing.

Good example and length for a comparison!

Alright - so I've posted the spoiler video and the screenshot of the track list in the original post.

5/6 were VSL Elite Strings Spiccato
13 is CSS Spiccato
18 is VSL Synzd Special Edition Chamber Strings

I too was reallly taken with the CSS Spiccato. Each playthrough it made me look up to see what that was. But my personal favourite was the elite strings - so defined, so precise, really suited this example.

I like 11 too. Velocity doesn't seem to match but this is a matter of editing.
Odd - it's VSL - all those artics should be perfectly matched for velocity and volume... I really like the "fixed gain" approach on the recording - means everything is already perfectly naturally balanced out of the box (ready to unbalance to personal taste).
Good example and length for a comparison!
Thanks - I've been doing the Film Music Notes ocatonic course, and this is just a few concepts from that course. Amazing course, can highly recommend it. I like the crunchy dissonant chords in the second bar in the low strings, really challenges the clarity of the samples. And the various speed of the higher parts brings out the tightness of editing.

In defense of VSL Chamber Strings (17 and 18), this is a good example where the shortcomings of the SE libraries vs the full libraries come into play.

This is a render with VI Chamber Strings, staccato short articulation in MIR3D (Vienna Konzerthaus Mozartsaal, 3D HOA Capsules on conductor position, 50% wet, reverb scaling 1.2s).

View attachment shortstestcs.mp3

In defense of VSL Chamber Strings (17 and 18), this is a good example where the shortcomings of the SE libraries vs the full libraries come into play.

This is a render with VI Chamber Strings, staccato short articulation in MIR3D (Vienna Konzerthaus Mozartsaal, 3D HOA Capsules on conductor position, 50% wet, reverb scaling 1.2s).

View attachment shortstestcs.mp3
That's some serious bite. Yeah, the special editions are a bit limited in some of the patches.

Top Bottom