Short movie score - Symphonic mock up

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by Nathan Einhorn, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:49 AM.

1. Nathan Einhorn

Nathan Einhorn Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Hi there,

I would love to have some feedback on an exercise I did last year as part of my studies. I wrote a score for a short film called Maximall, and it was the first time I had to write the score first on Sibelius, and then do the mock up in my trusted Cubase. I'd like to know what you think of the mock up and the mix, and the composition as well if you have the time and motivation to comment on it :)

Thank you!

2. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Wow, what excellent work! Loved it. The mock-up/mix are very good. And the composition is solid, I’m sure it works well with picture. There’s a late-60s feel to this piece (maybe the snare?), and hints of Herrmannesque gestures. Please share more!

Nathan Einhorn likes this.
  3. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Excellent on all counts, is what I think! Any way we can hear/see it set to the film?

Nathan Einhorn and Nils_L like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Nathan Einhorn

Nathan Einhorn Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Thanks a lot guys :) Yeah I was definitely in a Herrmann/Williams kind of mood, glad it shows.

I'm not supposed to show the short since it's a film that already existed beforehand, but I guess I can share a link by PM if you're interested in seeing it on picture :)

TheSigillite likes this.
  5. Alex Fraser

Alex Fraser Senior Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Please do!

6. Nils_L

Nils_L New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    I instantly had the latest Star Wars movie I've seen in mind while listening ;)
    I'd be interested in a link to the video. The score is just so situationally made with all its ups and downs. Good job!

7. S R Krishnan

S R Krishnan Member

Sep 14, 2018
  8. TheSigillite

TheSigillite Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southern California
    I'd love to see this along with the short. i hope I can get a PM as well. Thanks!

9. rottoy

rottoy Gentleman Scholar

May 12, 2013
  10. OP
    OP
    Nathan Einhorn

Nathan Einhorn Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Wow thanks, I'm really glad you all liked it ! :)
    There's a bunch, I'd say the main ones are CSS, Sable, Berlin Woodwinds, Spitfire Brass, Cinebrass and Spitfire Percussions

S R Krishnan likes this.
  11. ghostnote

ghostnote noteghost

Nov 3, 2011
    Very nice indeed! Love the use of the snares at 2:15+, reminds me of Silvestri. The orchestral textures are very nice too. The woodwinds however don't do it for me, but I'm not a fan of sampled woodwinds anyway. Great job!

12. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    This is the short, right? (sync seems best with your track 5s ahead)

Very nice work. I recommend listening before playing it with the clip, and just let your fantasy go wild. It's a great track for that.

13. OP
    OP
    Nathan Einhorn

Nathan Einhorn Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Thanks guys !

Yeah this is the short. And I agree ghostnote, I feel like the woodwinds are the weak element in the mock up as well, it's so hard to make them sound realistic when they're playing certain motives.

14. E.Heart

E.Heart Active Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Europe
    Very good orchestration. Also: the story-line of the music (the continuity or flow of what's happening and the building up and release of tension) feels logical and enticing. Well done!