What's new

Short Gothic Horror/Dark Fantasy Score - Feedback Please?

dhmusic

An actual volleyball
Hi!

I entered a piece into the Best Service/Sonuscore and wanted some feedback. I posted it to the main competition thread last week but, alas, I think I was too late to the party haha. Not sure if anyone even saw it.

Instead of going through my usual self-defeat patterns (seriously screw that), I'm gonna try to go to the source and ask for what I need for a change.

I have a million critiques in my mind but I really need to get used to dropping my guard so I can improve and grow as a composer. So please, have at it. If there are weaknesses here I'd like to know. I have a hunch it won't actually destroy me lol.

Here I'll start: "bro that vocal is way too quiet, you've violated the cardinal rule of the gods and are like totally exhiled."

Thank you for listening!

Last edited:

freecham

It's true that you can't hear the big voice of the scary man very well but who cares ? :) I like the dark atmosphere of the beginning, really "oppressive" but it fits well with the video. Great sound at 17. The transition at 26 is little strange. The brass part is huge and i really enjoyed the second part. Very good "tormented" harmonic progression and good orchestration. I really like the rise to the end and the energy but not the final sound in this context (is it Maleventum ?). It's an original and interessing version.
Ps: sorry for my english

OP
dhmusic

dhmusic

An actual volleyball
It's true that you can't hear the big voice of the scary man very well but who cares ? :) I like the dark atmosphere of the beginning, really "oppressive" but it fits well with the video. Great sound at 17. The transition at 26 is little strange. The brass part is huge and i really enjoyed the second part. Very good "tormented" harmonic progression and good orchestration. I really like the rise to the end and the energy but not the final sound in this context (is it Maleventum ?). It's an original and interessing version.
Ps: sorry for my english
Hey freecham!

Thanks so much for listening and for the feedback. "Oppressive" is the exact vibe I had in mind (I adore the bloodborne OST, clearly) so I'm relieved that was communicated.

I wonder how I could make :26 stronger. My intention was to create a sort of hiccup in the music to trip the listener into a jump scare of sorts. It worked for some of the people I showed but they might have just been nice about it haha. I def struggled with that passage a bit so it might have been overthought.

I also think I pushed the very end a little too hard. It's overly layered and compressed. But I'm really glad you liked the build in the 2nd half. Even though there's a sour minor 9th interval I only noticed after I sent the piece off.

I see what you mean with the last sounded not quite fitting. It's actually the first thing I came up with when I was experimenting with ideas. I don't have Maleventum though. It's a custom bit of sound design that uses the male choir "random longs tonal" patch from OT Tallinn as source material.

Thanks again for listening!

Trash Panda

Clueless nitwit
Are you looking for feedback on the composition itself or how it fits as a score for this trailer? I think the music itself is largely fine, but there’sa fair bit of opportunity to make it better fit the visuals.

OP
dhmusic

dhmusic

An actual volleyball
the music itself is largely fine, but there’sa fair bit of opportunity to make it better fit the visuals
Now we're talkin'! Yes, I'd like that very much if you wouldn't mind. My scoring game could use a ton of work

Number Six

Locked-In
I like the chord progression around :52 and the score in general.
Voice-over should be louder but that's not critical now. I think you need to better control levels to create this crescendo (max. excitement) towards the end and compress a bit more too.
Just my thoughts but I'm a beginner so take everything with a large grain of salt.

OP
dhmusic

dhmusic

An actual volleyball
I like the chord progression around :52 and the score in general.
Voice-over should be louder but that's not critical now. I think you need to better control levels to create this crescendo (max. excitement) towards the end and compress a bit more too.
Just my thoughts but I'm a beginner so take everything with a large grain of salt.
I think these are really useful insights, Number Six. I totally agree with the crescendo it kinda just explodes at the end there... Gotta plan my time better to not rush the mixing stage.

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Top Bottom