What's new

Short film scoring competition

Do I hear OAE in there? Sounds like a *ton* of sound :)
I had to search for "OAE", haha, still don't know the acronyms, but I assume you mean the LABS frozen or scary strings I've used, which may be in OAE, too?! :blush: ...in the video description on youtube I wrote down all (free) libraries I've used with links. :)

Thanks for asking, by the way! :inlove:

@Westwood Regarding this bit of the rules:
Can I add foley to the film?
No, please keep your entry to purely music. Do not add any real-world sound like footsteps or wind.
Does that ban the likes of Soniccouture's Geosonics or other sound design instruments, so popular in underscore these days, that are based on foley recordings? Where is the line between music and SFX?

I used Albion Tundra's air patch on some parts where they're just blowing through woodwinds and brass and it sounds like air/wind but its a textural element from an orchestral library, not sound foley wind...so I hope that wouldn't disqualify it. I use it combined with strings playing Col Legno sustains and dissonant pointillistic orchestral swarm type stuff during a quiet moment

I have a couple whooshes from Fracture Sounds Box Factory that sound a bit like wind too, but not a special effect.

This piece is a homage to the piano libraries which try to become more than just a great natural piano sound. The piano's you can hear in this piece along with some other instruments: Westwood: Lost Piano, Heavyocity: The Ascend, Teletone Audio: Golden Age Grand, Native Instruments: Noire and Piano Colors, Spitfire Audio: Olafur Arnalds Composer Toolkit and Stratus.

Thank you for listening and thanks to Westwood Instruments for the great opportunity! Would love to hear your feedback, suggestions or support.

Last edited:
I love this idea, but unfortunately I've discovered about the existence of this competition only now! Realistically speaking, I don't think I would ever be able to meet the deadline.

@Westwood Therefore I have a question: if I score this short in my spare time, would I still be able to upload the result on my Youtube channel as a regular, out-of-contest video after the competition ends? Or was it just a one time occasion?

Regardless of the answer, I'd like to express my sincerest appreciation for the powerful monologue you gifted us with. I love monologues, and I was searching for something of this level from a long time. Thank you.

Last edited:
As part of the release of our Lost Piano sample library, we’ve made a short film for you to create your very own score to. The competition is free to enter and you’ll be in with a chance to win some prizes as well as get your work heard by our esteemed judging team.

WATCH THE FILM, READ ALL THE DETAILS AND DOWNLOAD THE FILE TO GET SCORING HERE >>>

https://westwoodinstruments.com/lostpianoscoringcompetition/ (<b><u>https://westwoodinstruments.com/lostpianoscoringcompetition/</u></b>)

The winner will receive all of our sample libraries, including LOST PIANO and EVERYTHING we release in 2022, plus a gift card for either $250 to spend at Sweetwater or €250 to spend at Thomann.

5 runners-up will also receive a copy of LOST PIANO.

We are very honoured to have 3 World-class TV and film composers on the judging panel; Nainita Desai, Chris Dudley and Kevin Matley.

The deadline is midnight GMT on December 7th 2021.

Good luck!

Submitted my composition yesterday. :)

Here's mine, the wood blocks sound a little like an old clock I think. I tried different themes and to follow the moods of the dialog, but everything (I tried at least) took away from the scene. I really got into the dialog, unless I missed something he's not a musician but more a business man going through some mid life stuff and maybe regretting not pursuing music or some other choices. Thanks for this scene!

@Westwood Regarding this bit of the rules:

Does that ban the likes of Soniccouture's Geosonics or other sound design instruments, so popular in underscore these days, that are based on foley recordings? Where is the line between music and SFX?
Hello! Sorry for just picking up on this. Sound design is fine when it's not trying to re-create real-world sounds. What we didn't want was anyone creating foley like footsteps or wind etc. We did have those in originally, but it didn't seem to fit with the voice-over. It also keep the playing field level for people who aren't interested in doing this.

In reality, we're going to have to be a bit lenient and allowing some flexibility in the rules we've put in place, especially as many modern scores do have a huge crossover between score and sound design. We also understand the nature of competitions like this, is that many entrants have never done this before, are hobbyists or just getting started. It would be a shame to put people off entering further competitions by disqualifying someone's entry for a minor breach. What's most important to us, and I guess this should be the same for any score are the musical ideas and the feeling they create.

This is our first competition and it's been a huge learning experience for us too with the amount of different entries and questions we've received. But massively exciting and if everyone's enjoyed it and the feedback is good, hopefully there'll be another one next year.

As with all these competitions, there is so much to learn from every individual's unique approach to scoring. It's remarkable to note that every experience we have in life, every piece of music we have heard, every piece of music we have composed up to this point, brings us to create something new and indicative of all those prior experiences. Although we think in the present as we compose, it's a great exercise to pause and reflect on what has brought us each to this point in our creative lives. Incredible! Congratulations to everyone and thank you for sharing a bit of who you are through these contests.

That being, said, this is who I am in this particular moment in time.

What's refreshing about this particular clip is we got to work with a very dialog-heavy (monlogue actually) scene. And of course, when it comes to film, dialog is king, so it presented a different kind of challenge than most other recent competitions.

I've been getting weary of creating music with only virtual instruments lately, so for this entry, I decided to pull out the recording gear and throw in an actual live instrument as well. Fun stuff!

Good luck everyone!

Top Bottom