What's new

Shopping for an 88 key MIDI contoller

I'm in the A-88 camp (I also use the a-800 and a-500pro's in different circumstances). Would have gone an S88 if they were around when I got the A-88, if only for some of the configuration options. But for an "ok" piano player, this does me well enough.
And was a huge step up from my old technics P-30..... (which to be fair had done a LOT of touring as well as studio duty...)
I either use faders on an a-800/500, or korg nano for midi CC. Am looking into other alternatives....

Opinions on the arturia keylab 88?

There have been lots of reviews of this if you do a search on this site.

My own experience - QA was a big issue for awhile, but they're improving. My first unit lasted about 9 months then started sending weird/false CC data. They were a bit unresponsive/slow in dealing with the RMA, but ultimately they sent a new unit to me - factory sealed, new software, everything. That unit was vastly improved from the original line in terms of QA and durability. I've had no issues since. The software included is nice and you get several licenses per piece of software. It is a nice controller for me and I've had lots over the years and or worked places that had most keyboards. Only ones mentioned in this thread so far I haven't used are the Physis lines and the NI keyboards.

Action is a pretty standard Fatar hammer action - along the lines of the VMK 188+. The key bed is not particularly noisy - people who experience that probably have bad/older units. You want a loud key bed, check out the Akai MPK 88 (generally nice controller, but extremely loud and clunky). Software for setting this controller up is very nice - very quick to use.

If you're interested in the Keylab88, I'd make sure to get one that was manufactured in 2016. They have manufacture dates on them. They seemed to have sorted out more of the QA issues by then.

Top Bottom